Used 2004 GMC Envoy SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 GMC Envoy SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

I am a Ford girl who LOVED her Envoy
By Ronda Rader

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I Hate This Car
By Laurie

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

At 30,000 miles the movie player died. At 85,000 miles all gauges, power/heat for seats died. Gas mileage is horrible. I get 12 miles city and 16 highway (V6). I cant understand why their isnt a recall on the dashboard gauges, its infuriating. Has completely turned me off to all GMC products.

Best Truck on the Road
By 04ennyslt

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After reading others' reviews of the Envoy, I have a few comments. For people complaining of "knocking underneath, rough shifting" get your front suspension checked (tie rods/hubs...) I'm 20, make $10 an hour, These are NOT EXPENSIVE TO FIX (Cheapo's, come one, seriously, though.) Not only is this truck WAY better looking than any 4Runner, Explorer, Whatever; but it has THE SMOOTHEST ride quality out of any Comparable SUV I have ever Ridden in (I've ridden in a ton of SUVs). My Envoy has 170,000 miles and I have yet to experience a smoother riding vehicle. If you go to a reliable service center, you will realize this is one of the best late model trucks on the road today.

Gear Ratio, Smooth Running Engine (Inline 6), Leather seats, BOSE STEREO!!!, Exterior (And Interior Looks), Way you feel when driving it (I had an LR3 once upon a time, no comparison -- especially when considering cost-to-own), Commanding view, Bells & Whistles, Looks from other drivers (Mine is fully loaded, Black, SLT -- Super attractive), SUSPENSION/EXTERIOR BUILD QUALITY (Stupidly Hit Front and Rear Driver side on a Median going 45-50 mph and ONLY threw out alignment!!!! -- Not a THING was bent/ broken!), 4x4 System (Will not ever get you stuck)

Only 1 --> Improve Door Panel build quality (Bose System Vibrates certain sections of front interior door panels -- Although, do consider the fact that the Front BOSE Speakers are actually Woofers -- so amazing -- unlike most other comparable trucks)

Been good with some problems
By Safety

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this envoy since April 4, 2004 it has 172,000 miles on it, been across the states east to west and north to South. Had an emission sensor problem when it was new, a computer problem about 3 years cost approx $2400.00, just tried to have it smogged in Calif and it has a bad valve in the 3 hole and a bad left front bearing. All in all it has been a good vehicle and I believe we have gotten our moneys worth would buy another if I ever get rid of this one.

comfortable to drive

Seat belt placement pulls down on shoulder and can be uncomfortable.

Problems, Problems 2004 Envoy
By SMosley

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and it has been nothing but problems. Every month their is some problem. The sensors are always going out. The lights has went out. Right know, another sensor has went out and know there is a crack in the gas tank. The service engine soon light stays on, for any reason. If you don't have the gas cap screwed on the right engine soon light comes on, if you leave the car running and put gas in the check engine soon light will pop on. Oh and yeah the fuel pump is going out also. I wish that I had taken out the extended warranty you will really need it. I did not think that you would considering this is suppose to be a top level vehicle. My Kia was better.

The 2004 has many problems. It is a shame that you pay that top price and continue to have repairs.

• SUV