Used 2004 GMC Envoy SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Gmc Envoy - Consumer Reviews

2004 GMC Envoy SUV

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Most Helpful|
Explorer to Envoy
By happy in Jax

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Brand new, but so far we have enjoyed the handling and performance. We have gone from RAV 4 to Explorer now to Envoy and this is the best of the lot. We are high mileage users and the gas mileage is outstanding

Favorite Features

Engine

Egg shell front
By commander

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I was very disappointed in the survivability of the front bumper and grill. If you check the grill is held in by two plastic snap-on clips. I accidentaly hit a bird at 60 mph and the grill came apart. Very poor design. No...it was not a frozen chicken! So much for GMC Truck like ruggedness.

Favorite Features

Good gas milage with the V-TEC 6

Suggested Improvements

A rugged a bility would help.

Been good with some problems
By Safety

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this envoy since April 4, 2004 it has 172,000 miles on it, been across the states east to west and north to South. Had an emission sensor problem when it was new, a computer problem about 3 years cost approx $2400.00, just tried to have it smogged in Calif and it has a bad valve in the 3 hole and a bad left front bearing. All in all it has been a good vehicle and I believe we have gotten our moneys worth would buy another if I ever get rid of this one.

Favorite Features

comfortable to drive

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt placement pulls down on shoulder and can be uncomfortable.

Starting problem
By Dan Charron

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I do not know if there is a recall on the ignition.I turn the key and all gauges on the cluster go crazy.I got to turn the key to off and keep on trying until it catches then it's good to start. Also i had to replace all seals in the rear-end,some how water got in it with the other owner and around later November of 08 i started to hear a loud noise,i took it to the garage and they found i nice chunk of ice the belly of the rear-end. It cost me $1200.00 to replace all seals.I had to change both front wheel bearings and a left tie-rod at 89,000KM. I love my Envoy but they are very costly to repair..

Favorite Features

the ride

Suggested Improvements

Fix what is suppose to break around 88,000 KM.They know how long the parts are going to last.I never went 4 wheeling with it yet,scared it's going to break down on me

Good Experiences ?
By Angie

2004 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

"service engine, service 4wd, change oil".......my dash looks like a lighted christmas tree and no one can find anything wrong. Door moldings falling off. Rear wiper washer broke. Knocking noise underneath. Shifts hard and clanks often. No recall for hole in gas tank or cracked gas cap compartment. Fuel mileage stinks. NEVER AGAIN. Going back to a Nissan or Toyota!

Favorite Features

Fog lights

Suggested Improvements

Thank God they quit making them. Good luck to those who are considering buy one. Research other sites for poor poor blogs