2004 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:
Been good with some problems
By Safety on 04/14/10 22:36 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this envoy since April 4, 2004 it has 172,000 miles on it, been across the states east to west and north to South. Had an emission sensor problem when it was new, a computer problem about 3 years cost approx $2400.00, just tried to have it smogged in Calif and it has a bad valve in the 3 hole and a bad left front bearing. All in all it has been a good vehicle and I believe we have gotten our moneys worth would buy another if I ever get rid of this one.

Problems, Problems 2004 Envoy
By SMosley on 02/04/10 20:38 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and it has been nothing but problems. Every month their is some problem. The sensors are always going out. The lights has went out. Right know, another sensor has went out and know there is a crack in the gas tank. The service engine soon light stays on, for any reason. If you don't have the gas cap screwed on the right engine soon light comes on, if you leave the car running and put gas in the check engine soon light will pop on. Oh and yeah the fuel pump is going out also. I wish that I had taken out the extended warranty you will really need it. I did not think that you would considering this is suppose to be a top level vehicle. My Kia was better.

Good Experiences ?
By Angie on 01/15/10 17:31 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

"service engine, service 4wd, change oil".......my dash looks like a lighted christmas tree and no one can find anything wrong. Door moldings falling off. Rear wiper washer broke. Knocking noise underneath. Shifts hard and clanks often. No recall for hole in gas tank or cracked gas cap compartment. Fuel mileage stinks. NEVER AGAIN. Going back to a Nissan or Toyota!

Starting problem
By Dan Charron on 11/10/09 07:18 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I do not know if there is a recall on the ignition.I turn the key and all gauges on the cluster go crazy.I got to turn the key to off and keep on trying until it catches then it's good to start. Also i had to replace all seals in the rear-end,some how water got in it with the other owner and around later November of 08 i started to hear a loud noise,i took it to the garage and they found i nice chunk of ice the belly of the rear-end. It cost me $1200.00 to replace all seals.I had to change both front wheel bearings and a left tie-rod at 89,000KM. I love my Envoy but they are very costly to repair..

Lovin IT!!
By Ivyrose on 09/10/09 08:52 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a used Envoy in 07, no major problems at 96K, keep the oil change and enjoy the ride!

94000 miles of no repairs
By ron9311 on 08/17/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new, 94k+ miles and no repairs 1st set of brakes @ 60K, 1 battery, 2 trans flushes. It's seen the dealer once for a small recall item and headlight bulb replacement. This vehicle has a dual personality. The body is a rugged truck-like body on frame design but the in-line 6 is more like a BMW engine. It's smooth and docile until you punch it. Once it downshifts all hell (and the 290 hp)breaks loose. Unlike most SUV engines its torque peaks @ 4700 rpm and it loves to rev. All and all its been a great vehicle.

Love my Envoy
By twilene on 01/13/09 12:35 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I think Envoys are the best. I will buy another one after I get out of school. The only real problem I have ever had is that if there is a bump or crack in the road and you hit it too fast the car will feel like it is out of control and the gear shifter nut always comes loose causing the car not to move. I know when it acts up just to crawl under and tighten up the screw. The dealer wanted 200 for the part and I made my own.

Good for the family
By Dustin W. on 11/01/08 21:48 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Good reliable SUV overall. Works well for hauling the kids and getting groceries. Tows well, very happy with the 4 wheel drive system. Fuel mileage decent for mid sized SUV. Nice leather interior, easy to use instramentation. Only downfall is poorly fitted shell and bumper, lots of air noise at higher speeds, not very exciting to drive. It a great family car to get you from point A to B, but the trip between is predictible and boring.

Like My Envoy
By Rod on 08/08/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this mid-size SUV, my first such vehicle. I bought it because I needed to tow a fiarly heavy boat and the Envoy with its standard In-Line 6 engine and standard towing package would tow just over 6,000 pounds, and only a few hundred pounds less than choosing the optional V-8. I've taken care of it and have driven only 10,000 miles per year, but it has rewarded me with no problems at all--not the first rattle or squeak. I beleive the style has "held up," too and even at 4.5 years it still does not look old.

Good and Bad
By Ray on 07/14/08 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed a lot about this car. I got it Jan of 2007 and it has been in the shop 2 or 3 times totaling about $2000. It's fun to drive and looks great but has broken down on me enough that I am now shopping for something else. The first repair was $1000 to reprogram the computer something or other. Then the battery died. The rubber around the doors has almost all fallen off, the power seat control panel just fell of the other day, and the cd player does not work. All sorts of check lights go on and off in the dash all the time and I still can't figure out how to work all the lighting! Like I said, pretty car and fun to have! And not all bad but personally not worth the monthly note!