2003 GMC Envoy SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:
Biggest Lemon is the History of Motor Vehicles
By dgatcha on 05/28/14 17:50 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Never, ever buy this piece of junk. I put 3 transmissions in this SUV over the years!!! I could maybe see one, but 3? At $3500 a pop, I could have bought another nice used car with that money. I also just got back from the mechanic for the millionth time. This time the car just refuses to start. He checked the battery, alternator, and starter. Everything was fine. It just doesn't want to start sometimes. How about electrical issues? More issues than a magazine rack. This car is a lemon plain and simple. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. There were about 8 recalls and some electrical stuff never worked right. Trading this in next week and it may be the happiest day of my life.

New owner, impressed so far!
By nt1078 on 04/01/14 17:43 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We picked up our used 2003 Envoy a few weeks ago. It is the seven passenger model with 4x4 and every option imaginable. Everything works on the truck as it should. I read this vehicle is known for electrical problems but we have not experienced any. Previous owner took good care of it, as we plan to. Tried out the 4x4 the other night in the snow, and it was sure footed and felt safe on the road. Very pleased so far. Looking forward to towing our little trailer this summer for camping fun!

Horrible Electrical Problems
By ldonivan on 04/24/11 15:31 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle less than one year old- within 2 wks the CD player went. Within six months we lost the tach & the speedometer. Next to go were oil pressure and temp gauges. Then gas gauge. Entire instrument cluster replaced- very expensive dealership repair. Within 18 months the heat & AC only funcntioned on driver's side, and the radio worked only intermittently. Have had to replace fuses and relays repeatedly- relays are @ $40 a piece. Now you can't run the fan at all or it dies & I don't even want to know what that will cost to fix. Would not recommend anyone to buy this year of Envoy- unless of course someone would take mine off my hands. Please!

I love the Envoy so much I bought anothe
By Cynthia Lampkin on 05/17/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a white 2003 GMC Envoy and that vehicle was the best suv around. Not only was my vehicle stylish it was very safe. I totaled my 2003Envoy and even thou I hit a concret wall that ruck was so safe that I walked away with jhust bruises. The a-frame was bent but the glass didn't break and because that Truck was so well made it held me in my seat and I didn't get tossed around nor did my truch flip over. I really loved those contour seats and the size, performance made me go out and buy a 2004 GMC Envoy same color. I shopped around for other SUV's but nothing compared to my Envoy. I really enjoy this truck and will purchase another GMC vehicle. I can not say enough about my Envoy's

satisfied owner
By Les on 02/22/10 13:36 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The handling and operation of this car is intuitive; requiring little getting used to. I have little to complain about, except for the past two summers, the AC unit would mot cool, but actually produced heat (Maximim). After shutting down for a period, the control returned to normal; like something had to be reset by 'going back to zero' on restart. Has anyone else beside me experienced this? I have not had the car to the dealer,as the original warranty has run out and it has not proven to be a continuing problem.

Got my money's worth
By BeSwift on 01/19/10 12:42 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new. Outstanding reliability. Now is 8 yrs old, has 203k. Up til now, NO major problems (starter, battery, etc). Now stuff is starting to go up, but heck, with 200k plus miles, it SHOULD! I maintain my vehicles and am looking for a low milage used replacement for it now. Best vehicle I've owned.. Not perfect, but pretty damn good!

go for it
By eddie on 01/01/10 14:03 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

fourth gmc suv. great truck ride, apperance,design,reliable. Good Job Gm.

Electronic Nightmare
By Terry Jackson on 09/06/09 21:25 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle has been one electrical problem after another. I have had two starter ignition switches replaced, the starter, two batteries, the ACcontrol panel driverside thermostat is bad. There's aclicking sound under the dashboard (have yet to troubleshoot that as well as a clicking sound on the right aft side of the truck when I turn the defrost on. This is the worst vehicle I have ever own and I swear I will never buy GMC again. The interior is cheaply put together rattles far too much and the interior lighting is poor lit.

So far so good
By Sherry on 04/08/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this from the original owner, so far i love it i previously owned a equinox and the ride is so much better in this the interior is awesome and the leather seats are very comfortable, the only things i find could be improver is where the front cupholders are at and the back seat should be further back cause theres not much leg room back there.

Great Vehicle
By steve on 09/02/08 17:11 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great little SUV. Have had no problems other than a wheel bearing at 65K. Very luxurious. Has every option under the sun and is very well built. I would buy it in a heartbeat again. The only thing I would like different is maybe a little better mileage but for an SUV that's what you get, so you live with it.