Used 2002 GMC Envoy SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Gmc Envoy - Consumer Reviews

2002 GMC Envoy SUV

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

High Mileage Envoy
By khill23

2002 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy with 270,000 miles. I have had for 4 years and have had no major problems with the motor or tranny. I have had to replace the valve cover gasket, rack and pinion steering, ignition coil packs, front hub assembly on both sides, windshield wiper motor, rear shocks, air shocks (once and the second time I put on springs), air compressor, starter, and water pump. However, those go out on most makes around 200,000 miles I would assume. the four wheel drive was awesome for one bad winter, but has recently stopped working electrical problem or actuator switch I am guessing ,So I would have to say for 270,000 miles and having no engine or tranny problems I cant complain.

Favorite Features

SLT Envoy has everything features are great.

2002 Envoy SLT 4x4
By jens923

2002 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Envoy SLT new in Sept 2001. After a little over 10 years on the road, I am still driving it and am still pleased with the truck. I currently have 89,000 miles on mine. I replaced the original brakes earlier this year after the truck had over 80,000 miles. The engine still runs like new and the auto transmission shifts very smoothly. The truck rides well and is comfortable. I plan on keeping my Envoy and have no desire to trade it in on anything new.

Favorite Features

Smooth shifting automatic transmission. Nice ride. Comfortable. Exterior and interior styling still current despite 10 year old truck.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint had to do with the 2 front cup holders. Only 1 of the cupholders is actually usable. The other cupholder is in front of the auto transmission shifter on the floor and if you try to put a cup there, you have trouble shifting back into park. The cup is in the way.

Very, very dependable!
By swkntexas

2002 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am the second owner of my 2002 Envoy. Bought it in 2006 with 52k miles. It presently has 110k and had never once needed repairs. I've had to replace the battery and tires, but those are expected repairs. Yesterday, I took it in for the 90k service and also requested a complete check of all parts, engine and otherwise. The original rotors and brake pads were due for replacement - but, I was told they could last another 2,000 miles. The serpentine belt had minor cracks, and was told it would last a few thousand more miles. Needless to say, I replaced all that was found after looking at the old parts myself. After 110k there have been no major mechanical problems. Very impressed.

Favorite Features

The power and acceleration of the Envoy are outstanding. The Inline 6 (Vortec 4200) is an outstanding engine. The look of the Envoy, even after 9 years, rivals any other SUV on the road. I am very often asked what year mine is and people can't believe it's 9 years old! The body and paint integrity still appear new! The interior is all tight and finished properly and easy to clean. Overall, regular cleaning and waxing and the Envoy shines like the star of the road it is. MT was correct in naming it SUV of the Year back in 2002. We just love our Envoy and would/could drive it anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Ok, even after all the accolades - there are some minor issues which could have easily been corrected. The center console could have been designed better. As others have noted - there is a cup holder in front of the gear shift, under the center dash that is unusable unless the car is in drive. The console itself does not like to stay tight and secured and has way too much movement. The smallest amount of pressure causes it to move, make creaking noises, etc. I have bolted it down, affixed additional clamps, etc and if a heavy passenger or driver leans on it during a turn - it pops out of place. Both of these are minor annoyances, that's all.

I MISS MY ENVOY
By klr4isu

2002 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Envoy in 07 before gas prices went all nuts. I ended up trading it for a foreign piece of crap that now burns oil at less than 75k miles! I WANT MY ENVOY BACK!!! :( I was actually in a pretty scary accident in the Envoy and walked away without a scratch. Did a 360 on black ice going up a hill (didn't have 4WD on because I didn't think it was slick out). The Envoy had some pretty bad body damage but was 100% by the time my body shop guy got done with it and it ran like a dream the entire time I had it. Only issue was a fan belt (I think that's what it was called) that needed replaced for $400. Sounded like I was driving a semi when it went out! :)

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING! (except gas mileage but can't expect too much from an SUV this size)

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing!

Nothing but problems
By emelton

2002 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 Envoy SLT beautiful with all the bells and whistles. I have had nothing but problems since I purchased the truck in 2004 with 30k miles. It has been at the dealership 18 times in the last 3 years. I am finally getting it fixed for the last time to trade it off. So many problems too many to mention. It has been a money pit for me.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo system, heated leather seats, sunroof, Onstar

Suggested Improvements

Check engine light,interior temperature control sensors, Injectors, rear hydraulic air compressor motor. too much to mention!