Used 2002 GMC Envoy SLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Gmc Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

6 years $6k in repairs
By goingforeign

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle was excellent over the first 100k miles. After which, I've had to replace the transfer case at a total cost of $1500. The airbag system failed due to a faulty modulator & master control switch and is $1400 to replace. I'm now at 205,000 miles and have to get the rear differential rebuilt for a cool $1700, along with a failed control module adding another $700. All of this combined with several other trim and mechanical failures have me up in arms. I might as well have a car payment with as much as this is costing in repairs. I drive the heck out of this vehicle, but have the fluids checked/replaced on a monthly basis along with other scheduled/required maintenance. This stinks.

Favorite Features

Rear air suspension - except the fact that I have to explain what that air compressor noise is to first time passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior trim components. Drive line system is crap.

great
By k9kibbles

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

great vehicle, love to drive, great price, will by again, cant get enough of my envoy

Favorite Features

driving

Suggested Improvements

none

New SUV Owner
By tjanvrin

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is very good overall. It has great handling and ride comfort. I have been extremely pleased with my Envoy.

Favorite Features

Power passenger seat, rear air conditioner.

Suggested Improvements

The center seat of the backseat is a bit narrow. The seatbelt does not work well even with small children.

Envoy Review
By Joe Envoy

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this vehicle for 36000 miles. It provides a good ride and reasonably decent handling. The inline six has plently of power for towing and going. The transmission shifts smoothly and firmly. The interior provides plently of room for dogs, suitcases and general gargo hauling. This SUV is comfortable, quiet and a joy to travel in.

Favorite Features

Power of the inline six, cargo space, quietness, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the console between the front seats.

Good, but could be better.
By harrydownsouth

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am a commuter who drives 35 miles each way for work. I like the size of the car and that it has room to carry most items but is small enough to look sporty and it gets acceptable gas mileage. The interior is fine except for one area, its arm rests are hard plastic and are very uncomfortable during long drives. The model has had several recalls, none of which were serious for me. I am able to use regular gas without problem. I am concerned about the long term expectency of the aluminum alloy engine. GMC did OK but the hard plastic arm rests and the recalls make me think they were not as professional as they claimed and could be better.

Favorite Features

Good looks, peppy performance, nice sound system standard,

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior for comfort, particularly the hard plastic arm rests.