2002 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:
6 years $6k in repairs
By goingforeign on 12/17/07 10:04 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle was excellent over the first 100k miles. After which, I've had to replace the transfer case at a total cost of $1500. The airbag system failed due to a faulty modulator & master control switch and is $1400 to replace. I'm now at 205,000 miles and have to get the rear differential rebuilt for a cool $1700, along with a failed control module adding another $700. All of this combined with several other trim and mechanical failures have me up in arms. I might as well have a car payment with as much as this is costing in repairs. I drive the heck out of this vehicle, but have the fluids checked/replaced on a monthly basis along with other scheduled/required maintenance. This stinks.

great
By k9kibbles on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

great vehicle, love to drive, great price, will by again, cant get enough of my envoy

New SUV Owner
By tjanvrin on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is very good overall. It has great handling and ride comfort. I have been extremely pleased with my Envoy.

Envoy Review
By Joe Envoy on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this vehicle for 36000 miles. It provides a good ride and reasonably decent handling. The inline six has plently of power for towing and going. The transmission shifts smoothly and firmly. The interior provides plently of room for dogs, suitcases and general gargo hauling. This SUV is comfortable, quiet and a joy to travel in.

Good, but could be better.
By harrydownsouth on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am a commuter who drives 35 miles each way for work. I like the size of the car and that it has room to carry most items but is small enough to look sporty and it gets acceptable gas mileage. The interior is fine except for one area, its arm rests are hard plastic and are very uncomfortable during long drives. The model has had several recalls, none of which were serious for me. I am able to use regular gas without problem. I am concerned about the long term expectency of the aluminum alloy engine. GMC did OK but the hard plastic arm rests and the recalls make me think they were not as professional as they claimed and could be better.

disappointed
By wally42 on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV has good features for the price. It is comfortable to drive and all the switches and controls are within easy reach. Does not corner well. There has been numerous rattles and noises. The fit is poor. I would not buy this if I had to do it over again. Plastic trim is hard to keep clean. Too bad, could have been a nice truck.

reliability?
By robdale/dlandry29 on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Envoy since April 2002 and have loved the way it handled and it's reliablity. My transmission began making noises a month ago and went totally out the other day leaving me stranded. It was towed to the dealership and they replaced the valve body. I have always felt safe and depended on my Envoy. Now I am considering trading it in on another type SUV all together. My dream SUV has become a potential nightmare!

Envoy for sale !
By JTEnvoy on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

These are the most uncomfortable seats ever! What about the 16 gallon tank? great idea! After 500 miles, the check engine light Then 1,000 miles later, the driver seat started coming apart. Then my family noticed that the passenger doors had to be slammed in order to close properly. GMC fixed the seat, could not fix the doors. Until once again something went wrong. The driver side seat belt became jammed. I brought it in again! They now have a new one on order for me. Wonderful right? I have more.... Now, EVERY DAY at 1800 RPM's, the engine makes a "whinning" type sound This is not normal. I'm done with this LEMON.....It's now for sale.

GREAT VEHICLE
By SJS on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

BEST ALL AROUND VEHICLE FOR FAMILIES SMALL AND LARGE. THIS SUV HAS MET ALL MY EXPECTATION AND BEYOND. IT IS A GREAT VEHICLE.

final fix
By ron jones on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The only thing we did not like about the vehicle was that the passenger's seat belt would always lock up and not release. The dealer fixed this with a seat belt extension.