2002 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:
High Mileage Envoy
By khill23 on 04/06/14 12:44 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy with 270,000 miles. I have had for 4 years and have had no major problems with the motor or tranny. I have had to replace the valve cover gasket, rack and pinion steering, ignition coil packs, front hub assembly on both sides, windshield wiper motor, rear shocks, air shocks (once and the second time I put on springs), air compressor, starter, and water pump. However, those go out on most makes around 200,000 miles I would assume. the four wheel drive was awesome for one bad winter, but has recently stopped working electrical problem or actuator switch I am guessing ,So I would have to say for 270,000 miles and having no engine or tranny problems I cant complain.

2002 Envoy SLT 4x4
By jens923 on 10/30/11 15:43 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Envoy SLT new in Sept 2001. After a little over 10 years on the road, I am still driving it and am still pleased with the truck. I currently have 89,000 miles on mine. I replaced the original brakes earlier this year after the truck had over 80,000 miles. The engine still runs like new and the auto transmission shifts very smoothly. The truck rides well and is comfortable. I plan on keeping my Envoy and have no desire to trade it in on anything new.

Very, very dependable!
By swkntexas on 06/25/11 05:19 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am the second owner of my 2002 Envoy. Bought it in 2006 with 52k miles. It presently has 110k and had never once needed repairs. I've had to replace the battery and tires, but those are expected repairs. Yesterday, I took it in for the 90k service and also requested a complete check of all parts, engine and otherwise. The original rotors and brake pads were due for replacement - but, I was told they could last another 2,000 miles. The serpentine belt had minor cracks, and was told it would last a few thousand more miles. Needless to say, I replaced all that was found after looking at the old parts myself. After 110k there have been no major mechanical problems. Very impressed.

I MISS MY ENVOY
By klr4isu on 12/06/10 11:27 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Envoy in 07 before gas prices went all nuts. I ended up trading it for a foreign piece of crap that now burns oil at less than 75k miles! I WANT MY ENVOY BACK!!! :( I was actually in a pretty scary accident in the Envoy and walked away without a scratch. Did a 360 on black ice going up a hill (didn't have 4WD on because I didn't think it was slick out). The Envoy had some pretty bad body damage but was 100% by the time my body shop guy got done with it and it ran like a dream the entire time I had it. Only issue was a fan belt (I think that's what it was called) that needed replaced for $400. Sounded like I was driving a semi when it went out! :)

Nothing but problems
By emelton on 03/23/10 12:50 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 Envoy SLT beautiful with all the bells and whistles. I have had nothing but problems since I purchased the truck in 2004 with 30k miles. It has been at the dealership 18 times in the last 3 years. I am finally getting it fixed for the last time to trade it off. So many problems too many to mention. It has been a money pit for me.

Reliable
By kww8732 on 08/08/09 12:24 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've never had any problems with this vehicle with the exception of several minor recalls. I've been very happy with this SUV. Have averaged about 17 miles/gallon of mixed driving with 16 in the city and 21 on the highway.

easy now
By chris on 08/02/09 18:15 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Love the GMC Envoy. 02' couple of things! great seating, comfy ride, Bas location was the cup holders in front passengers and the rearview mirror, Had to replace all ball joints, and bushings, now the water pump needs replaced, Also the mirrors make a whistling noise when driving. Other than that vehicle is great.. routine maintenance is all that's had to be done. no major engine problems. knock on wood..

This vehicle saved our lives
By mommyof2boys on 02/18/09 18:00 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Envoy when I was expecting our 2nd child. I am so thankful we did. In December of this past year we were in an accident. My Envoy was totaled but we all survived. My 4 year old had to have 3 stitches above his eye and my 7 year old walked away without a scratch. I had internal bruising from the airbag. We hit at 50MPH. It was a front impact then the other car spun around hitting my 4 year old directly in his door. This vehicle crumbled, but the inside structure stayed perfectly intact. Only 1 door would open. It was a bad wreck. We knew we wanted another vehicle like this and searched until we decided on an 06 Trailblazer EXT. I pray it's as good as the Envoy.

Buy the Extended Waranty
By Laura on 08/25/08 06:53 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

First off this Envoy was the upgraded Denali version, which right off, was alittle more added to the price tag. I just traded this in after 3 years, and within this past year I had to have 3 tie rod ends, yes that is 3. Why do you ask, because I needed another "knuckle" replaced at 88,000. The first one was replaced at 47,000 just before my warranty ran out. The leather seats started to "wear off" at 15,000. This vehicle was in the dealership so much, they knew me by name. The dealer also never heard of replacing the knuckle, again, until they met me. I was getting about 20 mpg which isn't bad, and it never left me stranded. I just feel this truck had way too many issues for the money

So far so good
By Ed on 08/14/08 07:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2002 Envoy SLT at 93K miles. So far I've put 3K miles on it and have been very pleased. I use it mainly for towing a travel trailer and with the powerful V6 it does a good job. Interior is great, very comfy leather seats and I love the stereo. The ride is smooth and great acceleration. Gas mileage (without towing) is surprisngly good too. Highway only driving is about 22MPG, city about 15. Not great but not bad for a powerful SUV. I was hesitant to buy a used GM vehicle. But so far after 3 months and 3K miles driven, I'm happy with the purchase.