Used 2005 GMC Envoy XUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Envoy-xuv - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XUV model:

Not Happy
By not happy

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Everything electrical has gone wrong, gas gauge, speedometer, cd player, elec seat control, air conditioner dual accuator replaced both $1900, replaced thermostat and fan clutch, oh and wires were melting behind the controls of the Air Conditioner $490.00. I am the only owner and my miles are only at 55,000

Favorite Features

I like the color

Suggested Improvements

They say there are no recalls, but on edmunds everyone seems to have the same problems. I think recalls should be made for the all these common issues

It only happened to you
By Joel Larson

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

At 40,000 miles my my gas gauge quit working and went I went to the dealer he said it's not a warranty and it would cost me over $600.00 to repair. Then, a week later, my control for my fan went out on the 5th speed and a week later the 4 speed went out. again the dealer seem to very surprised and said wow this never happens either and for 500.00 they could fix the switch. What I find amazing is my wife's van made by Chevrolet has the exact same problem. GMC have to be aware of this problem but they don't care and people wonder why imports are doing well. We also have a 94 Honda in our family with 200,000 miles and we've done nothing except oil changes and tires.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Gas gauge and fan motor switch

Swiss Army Knife of SUVs
By Sleepy

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'd seen these for years and finally bought one. Very handy for a pet owner with 2 big dogs. Used the sliding roof several times when getting items home. The cylinder deactivation probably helps some, but not huge. V8, heavy vehicle, & still 19-20 mpg highway - not bad. Plenty of power, even when loaded. Very comfortable on road trips. Tons of interior space, always enough room. No storage compartments in the cargo b/c of hard plastic, so I made a wooden truck box for jumper cables, first aid kit, tie downs, dog ramp, etc... Also, the tailgate won't stay open when swung open like a door and parked on a downhill.

Favorite Features

Sliding rear roof, interior window to separate the cargo (pets), towing, comfort, V8. Huge, but still fits in the garage.

Suggested Improvements

Better hold for tailgate door when swung open. Change the looks to make it a little tougher, more SUV looking. Less minivan. Built in storage somehow in the rear or behind the rear seats.

GREAT SUV/TRUCK
By WILIAM MATTINGLY

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine 2 mos. ago (5/09) w/32000 mi. on the clock for 12k. What a buy! What a truck. Can't be beat! Better get one while you can!

Favorite Features

Nice ride-soft & confy but not a Porsche so be careful on curves & hills! Of course, the retractable roof.

Suggested Improvements

Better gase mileage. Better lighting of instruments (hard to see even in daylight).

Most versatile vehicle I've ever owned
By ddtexas

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I flew to Alabama from South Texas to get the XUV because it had been discontinued and was hard to find. I will keep my XUV until it dies, because of how versatile it is (SUV/Pickup). Not to mention how enjoyable it is to drive. I've taken it to the Smokey Mtns, the Ozarks as well as traveled home to Wisconsin from deep South Texas without any problems. To me this is the perfect travel vehicle.

Favorite Features

The retractable roof, big cargo area that is also water tight when 2nd seat window is up. The fact there is only 2 rows instead of 3 in a SUV of this size (I have know need for a 3 row of seats, but love all the cargo space). Comfort!

Suggested Improvements

Start making this model again. I don't know what I will do when my XUV dies. There is nothing on the market that even compares.