2005 GMC Envoy XUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XUV model:
Not Happy
By not happy on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Everything electrical has gone wrong, gas gauge, speedometer, cd player, elec seat control, air conditioner dual accuator replaced both $1900, replaced thermostat and fan clutch, oh and wires were melting behind the controls of the Air Conditioner $490.00. I am the only owner and my miles are only at 55,000

It only happened to you
By Joel Larson on 05/25/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

At 40,000 miles my my gas gauge quit working and went I went to the dealer he said it's not a warranty and it would cost me over $600.00 to repair. Then, a week later, my control for my fan went out on the 5th speed and a week later the 4 speed went out. again the dealer seem to very surprised and said wow this never happens either and for 500.00 they could fix the switch. What I find amazing is my wife's van made by Chevrolet has the exact same problem. GMC have to be aware of this problem but they don't care and people wonder why imports are doing well. We also have a 94 Honda in our family with 200,000 miles and we've done nothing except oil changes and tires.

Swiss Army Knife of SUVs
By Sleepy on 11/24/09 08:25 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'd seen these for years and finally bought one. Very handy for a pet owner with 2 big dogs. Used the sliding roof several times when getting items home. The cylinder deactivation probably helps some, but not huge. V8, heavy vehicle, & still 19-20 mpg highway - not bad. Plenty of power, even when loaded. Very comfortable on road trips. Tons of interior space, always enough room. No storage compartments in the cargo b/c of hard plastic, so I made a wooden truck box for jumper cables, first aid kit, tie downs, dog ramp, etc... Also, the tailgate won't stay open when swung open like a door and parked on a downhill.

GREAT SUV/TRUCK
By WILIAM MATTINGLY on 07/18/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine 2 mos. ago (5/09) w/32000 mi. on the clock for 12k. What a buy! What a truck. Can't be beat! Better get one while you can!

Most versatile vehicle I've ever owned
By ddtexas on 11/10/08 14:53 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I flew to Alabama from South Texas to get the XUV because it had been discontinued and was hard to find. I will keep my XUV until it dies, because of how versatile it is (SUV/Pickup). Not to mention how enjoyable it is to drive. I've taken it to the Smokey Mtns, the Ozarks as well as traveled home to Wisconsin from deep South Texas without any problems. To me this is the perfect travel vehicle.

Dependable Alternative
By Gordon on 11/08/08 14:16 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the XUV after owning a 3/4 ton Avalanche. When gas prices started soaring, I worried about the 8.1L engine, but still wanted the utilitarian rear area. I have the 5.3L DOD (Active Fuel Management) engine and have owned the vehicle for a little over three years. I have had no problems with the vehicle and highly recommend it. I own a 22ft Toy Hauler trailer that weighs in at about 5,600lbs with water and ATV and use the Envoy to tow it. I have towed from Idaho to South Dakota and over 6% or better grades in the mountains around the area, and the truck tows great! This is a great alternative to a 1/2 pickup if you don't need the bed.

2005 XUV
By Larry on 10/10/06 16:59 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

When GM Lease pull ahead came along I decided to buy something that is not only useful but very unusual as well. I really like the ride package, seat comfort, and handling characteristics. Fuel mileage has been getting better with additional miles on the clock, and I'm getting almost 18MPG in mixed driving. I bought a rear carpet/floormat and a tie down package at the dealership that gets you more rings to attach stuff to. Too bad these trucks have been discontinued. GM spent a lot of money getting this package to market. Advantage - Me!

Love It !
By BJ on 03/16/06 23:06 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have used this vehicle constantly since purchase. It has been used for trips and pulling our trailer. It is not quite 7 months and we have over 18,000 miles on it. It has not failed us once! The far back area is used for our 4 dogs. With the window separating it from the seating area the flying fur is no longer a problem. To clean it you just need a hose. What a pleasure this vehicle is. The best ever!!!!!

If you find one, buy it!
By GREENER on 11/19/05 09:07 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Rides like a dream. Looks exceptional, performs like a top of the line SUV should. Handles great in bad weather. OnStar gives me an added feeling of security, knowing that my wife and children are safe @ all times and just a push button away from help, allows me to rest easy. Sheer comfort! A joy to drive and plenty of room for all of us and our things. Towing capabilities are huge. I tow a 22 foot fishing boat with no trouble. The sliding rear roof feature has come in handy for my wife a couple times already. Bringing home large trees and shrubs for the garden, and I used it to bring home a new refrigerator. The only knock I could give, the gas mileage could be better.

Great - Except...
By Bill on 09/26/05 16:33 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After about 20,000 miles the check engine light came on then off. It does this reguarly about 1000 miles off and 100 on. By the time I get a dealer appointment it is off again. Other than that an excellent buy.