Used 2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XUV model:

Smart Idea - Poor repair record
By Faith

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The SUV that literally turns into a pickup is a great idea. Being able to lay a full sheet of drywall or plywood flat in the rear cargo area is another great design. My issue with the vehicle is all the repairs that have had to happen and I barely have break in mileage on the vehicle at 78,000. I've had to replace the thermostat; it's had 3 sets of tires; the front and rear sway bar links have been replaced; when I am sitting at a stop, the speedometer reads as high as 40 (this number varies at different times). Other instrument panel gauges often show the wrong information. And last but not least, I am now experiencing issues with the transmission. I've owned other GM vehicles and this has been my least favorite experience as far as repairs. I like the vehicle overall. I just don't thing I should have so many repair bills for 78,000 miles.

Versatility to the MAX!
By outdoorsman3

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my XUV for nearly 2 years and I am very impressed. Very versatile vehicle. It allows me to travel comfortably, tow moderate weight trailers and boats, The conversion to Pick-up function has proved to be extremely useful. Highly recommend for any driver who needs an SUV but really wants a truck.

The collapsible mid-gate offers a spacious truck bed. The rear roof opens up for hauling tall objects. Controls inside are very convenient

Make a 2016 model XUV. Thanks GMC!

All the best
By jerryreliable

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Aw shucks, 98,000 miles, and I had to put brake pads on it. Other than oil changes and one set of tires, that is is for maintenance. Still like the car as new, and a pickup truck it is indeed. Tows 27' boats, hauls plywood, and 12 foot planks, Yanmar diesels, you name it. And it still looks terrific.

Tossup here between the built in air compressor, and the tailgate operating two different ways.

GM should build a replacement. They should offer a similar handy vehicle.

2004 Envoy XUV SLT
By chris2004envoy

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 6 years now, use it to tow skidoos in the winter, hauled just about everything in the back, drywall, garden supplies, wood, fridges, an oven etc. It now has 160,000 km on it and has suffered what I would consider less than average issues. Common problems for all Envoy models are the front bearings, instrument cluster and the inline 6 has a fairly light duty exhaust manifold which in my case cracked. The good news is the parts are easy to buy aftermarket replacements and I replaced the bearings myself. I found a guy who replaced all the faulty motors in the cluster too for 200$ cash and the exhaust manifold was 1000 dollar fix. Not bad for 9 years +

There is nothing that can do what this truck can. If you have dogs, do the odd handy man job for yourself or others, like to garden or landscape, the list goes on and on. The SLT model is all business with leather, sunroof, heated seats, bose sound system and a very comfortable ride. I am a fan of the look of the truck as it doesn't look as odd as the extended XL model which always looked a little bloated compared to the standard model. Mine has also held up very well fit and finish wise. I wash it often and it still looks pretty close to new condition without rust or much pitting of the chrome rims.

Make another full frame 6 cyl, real locking 4x4 model that can tow over 5000 lbs with ease which can be suitable for daily use which still looks and feels like a luxury SUV without looking like a cross over/ minivan.

It's a LEMON!
By newfnlab

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new (very expensive). I have replaced over $1000 in rear door latches, obviously a defect,they only warrant 1 yr or 20K km, what does km have to do with a latch. GM head office doesn't like to return phone calls.. I finally spoke to her again & their decision was "your on your own". I have replaced the transfer case 1 1/2 yrs ago, now I have to replace the motor in it.Stranded again when gear shifter broke (it's plastic) go figure. No speadometer for over a year now (called cluster) would cost over $1000, neither heated seats work. My list goes on. I take care of my vehicles but this is ridiculous. GM does NOT stand behind their products. I will NEVER own another one.

GM needs to recall all the issues with the rear door problems, latches, motor, window, wiper etc... Dashboard cluster should be recalled. Use better materials instead of plastic. Better customer relations department. Return customers phone calls....