2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XUV model:
All the best
By jerryreliable on 01/05/13 05:48 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Aw shucks, 98,000 miles, and I had to put brake pads on it. Other than oil changes and one set of tires, that is is for maintenance. Still like the car as new, and a pickup truck it is indeed. Tows 27' boats, hauls plywood, and 12 foot planks, Yanmar diesels, you name it. And it still looks terrific.

2004 Envoy XUV SLT
By chris2004envoy on 11/22/12 19:23 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 6 years now, use it to tow skidoos in the winter, hauled just about everything in the back, drywall, garden supplies, wood, fridges, an oven etc. It now has 160,000 km on it and has suffered what I would consider less than average issues. Common problems for all Envoy models are the front bearings, instrument cluster and the inline 6 has a fairly light duty exhaust manifold which in my case cracked. The good news is the parts are easy to buy aftermarket replacements and I replaced the bearings myself. I found a guy who replaced all the faulty motors in the cluster too for 200$ cash and the exhaust manifold was 1000 dollar fix. Not bad for 9 years +

It's a LEMON!
By newfnlab on 01/06/12 06:15 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new (very expensive). I have replaced over $1000 in rear door latches, obviously a defect,they only warrant 1 yr or 20K km, what does km have to do with a latch. GM head office doesn't like to return phone calls.. I finally spoke to her again & their decision was "your on your own". I have replaced the transfer case 1 1/2 yrs ago, now I have to replace the motor in it.Stranded again when gear shifter broke (it's plastic) go figure. No speadometer for over a year now (called cluster) would cost over $1000, neither heated seats work. My list goes on. I take care of my vehicles but this is ridiculous. GM does NOT stand behind their products. I will NEVER own another one.

Certainly not the best car i have ever owned
By socaldude3 on 07/31/11 01:47 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 envoy xuv v8, its now on its 3rd transmission (work done at gm) 2nd engine (from gm), the tailgate regulator has broken 3 times and been replaced because it locks us out of the trunk, the mid-gate regulator is currently broken, it has always had some mysterious shake at idle, gm told us that was just part of the car. The speedometer has been stuck at 120mph for the past year, the drivers seat (power) only works sometimes. and its only got 100k miles, it does have one of the best rides i have ever seen, and the 5.3 v8 does have great power.. I take good care of it, but since iv owned this, I can see why they stopped making them. after this, i doubt il buy another gm

Lemon?
By Peggy on 08/05/10 16:49 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Envoy XUV new in 2003. Just when the warranty ran out, we began to have electrical problems. Can't remember what it was that was replaced but it was pricey. A year later, same exact thing. We've been able to get by, since then, by carrying a battery charger with us. If the system shuts down, we're stranded. Yesterday, the battery would not charge and we were towed to the dealer, again! We've always had Hondas and have never had any problems whatsoever. My husband was reluctant to buy a GMC product. Only reason we bought this was because of the sliding roof feature, which we've only used once or twice in 6 years. We'll stick with Hondas next time.

OK vehicle, but would not buy again.
By heatherc on 07/26/10 19:25 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the XUV because it was very unique and fit our needs at the time. It was great at first, but over the past few years has had many issues. The midgate glass window shattered when raising it one time. The reargate window motor has broken twice in the past 3 years and gets stuck down (and then you can't open the rear door.) The rear door "sensor" has malfunctioned a few times where it takes me about 5 minutes of messing around with it to get the door open. And the instrument cluster is bad (according to the dealership). My speedometer and oil pressure gauges don't work. Currently debating whether to spend $1000 to get it "fixed" or buy a different vehicle.

Don't buy, bad instrument cluster!
By JAMFRETE on 03/08/10 12:27 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

GMC has a known instrument cluster problem whereas all gauges stop working, the speedometer does not register correctly, but GM will not perform a recall even though it is a factory defect. $500 to $1000 to fix the problem out of the consumers pocket. GM should be ashamed of themselves! Never again!

XUV Truck or SUV?
By Joe on 12/12/09 20:50 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The Envoy XUV is a Truck, SUV and Luxury car all in one. It is very dependable, but I did have a few issues that happened. The rear Gate door handle will probably give you a problem, also in winter the door will freeze up. The 4X4 service light has just came on on mine at 66,000 miles. Do not know what is wrong with it yet. It is a good truck for long trips, Vacations and picking up supplies and items. I like the style of the body, and the way it handles the road. It gets pretty good gas mileage for it's size. The V6 has plenty of power, and you feel really safe in it.

The best of both
By martin on 07/26/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Who doesn't wanted all. Well now you can, The luxury of an suv, smooth ride comfortable,roomy, handles more like a big car than an suv, and the versitilty of a truck. Knowing the whole time with a flip of a couple of switches, your not limited where you go based on what vehiclbe your driving. In the Xuv pick up your Tv, furniture,apliances,without any problems. True story bought washer and dryer told the guy I was in the blue suv he got a little upset and explain that they only load if it fits the vehicle. I told him it will. He mumbled thinking he would have to d-box the items and squeeze them in. When I open the roof, drop the tail gate he's words "nice, I would have never guessed that"

Sweat Ride
By donna f on 07/13/09 05:02 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. She rides like a cadillac and handles very well on both the highway and the back road hills. Gas millage is ok I guess for a SUV but making a sacrafice for comfort is well worth it.