Used 2004 GMC Envoy XUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Envoy XUV model:

Most Helpful|
All the best
By jerryreliable

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Aw shucks, 98,000 miles, and I had to put brake pads on it. Other than oil changes and one set of tires, that is is for maintenance. Still like the car as new, and a pickup truck it is indeed. Tows 27' boats, hauls plywood, and 12 foot planks, Yanmar diesels, you name it. And it still looks terrific.

Favorite Features

Tossup here between the built in air compressor, and the tailgate operating two different ways.

Suggested Improvements

GM should build a replacement. They should offer a similar handy vehicle.

Sweat Ride
By donna f

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. She rides like a cadillac and handles very well on both the highway and the back road hills. Gas millage is ok I guess for a SUV but making a sacrafice for comfort is well worth it.

Favorite Features

love the seat memory and the heated seats are great too

Suggested Improvements

improve fuel milage would be nice

Love it
By nikkole

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck because I own a couple of properties and I have to occasionally lug around doors and things. So this truck isnt my everyday car but I love driving it. It is so comfy and I love the design with the fold down seats and the roll off roof. I already moved a huge cabinet and it was perfect for the job! Its also a great "dog" truck. I have 3 dogs and love to take them for drives. I havent rinsed out the back cargo area yet but I was told that was an option. You can't fit seven people but when do you drive 7 people around? Its great for people who want the utility of a pickup truck but want the "wholeness" of an SUV. I love it!

Favorite Features

Love the roll off roof. How cool is that?

Suggested Improvements

Just wish they would remake this ride in some sort of hybrid. Gas mileage stinks! But what SUV gets good gas mileage?

Certainly not the best car i have ever owned
By socaldude3

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 envoy xuv v8, its now on its 3rd transmission (work done at gm) 2nd engine (from gm), the tailgate regulator has broken 3 times and been replaced because it locks us out of the trunk, the mid-gate regulator is currently broken, it has always had some mysterious shake at idle, gm told us that was just part of the car. The speedometer has been stuck at 120mph for the past year, the drivers seat (power) only works sometimes. and its only got 100k miles, it does have one of the best rides i have ever seen, and the 5.3 v8 does have great power.. I take good care of it, but since iv owned this, I can see why they stopped making them. after this, i doubt il buy another gm

It's a LEMON!
By newfnlab

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new (very expensive). I have replaced over $1000 in rear door latches, obviously a defect,they only warrant 1 yr or 20K km, what does km have to do with a latch. GM head office doesn't like to return phone calls.. I finally spoke to her again & their decision was "your on your own". I have replaced the transfer case 1 1/2 yrs ago, now I have to replace the motor in it.Stranded again when gear shifter broke (it's plastic) go figure. No speadometer for over a year now (called cluster) would cost over $1000, neither heated seats work. My list goes on. I take care of my vehicles but this is ridiculous. GM does NOT stand behind their products. I will NEVER own another one.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to recall all the issues with the rear door problems, latches, motor, window, wiper etc... Dashboard cluster should be recalled. Use better materials instead of plastic. Better customer relations department. Return customers phone calls....