Used 2006 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

Great SUV
By Andrea

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Envoy a few weeks now and love it. After test driving the Mountaineer, Sequoia, Rendevous, Yukon, and TrailBlazer, I knew this was the one. My kids love it as well.

The Bose radio system. Smooth ride and extra room.

Bigger cup holders, sunglass holder and change compartment. My front leather seat is already cracking. Not even a year old, so that concerns me.

Great Style
By gl

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Like the interior and dash layout. Love the way it drives, very quiet and feels solid. Looked for a long time for something with 3 rows that was not a V8 and was roomy enough for my family and their legs. This has fit the bill. First brand new car I've ever purchased.

The style love the look. The ride and preformance have been wonderful.

Standard cargo area, and overhead compartment for more storage. Standard side curtain airbags, the only thing my GMC did not have put on by the manufacturer.

Excellent Value
By Second driver

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle. We chose because we wanted great 3rd row comfort, storage behind the 3rd row and a good number of safety features. The Envoy XL has about the best 3rd seating out there. We like the dash layout better than the Chevy. The ride is very good for a truck base SUV. Cornering gives a good lean, but is OK. Gas mileage has been right on target. I'd still take better. We have enjoyed the XL very much and have no regrets in buying. The SLT2 trim is a nice trim level. All the creature comforts and still not "too" pricey. I could not find a good enough reason to buy a Denali trim. The insurance for the '06 XL is cheaper than our '03 VW Passat! I will recommend to anyone without hesitation

The 3rd row. 2 avg male adults could ride for hours and not be uncomfortable. The engine is smooth and fairly quiet. I like the XM Radio, but not willing to pay for it after the trial period. The safety features are great; traction & stability cntrl, 4 wheel ABS, OnStar, and for $500, rear air bags.

Only 1 major compliant; the handling for the XL version is very bad. Emergency turns may scare you. All the rest are small issues. The headliner material needs improving, the 4spd tranny is fine, but isn't cutting edge technology. The radio needs a sub- woofer, 18" wheels please. Plus a few smaller items

2006 GMC Envoy
By DB

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a GMC Envoy XL (SLT) in March of 2006. My criteria included stability control, 7-passenger seating, side curtain air bags, and decent towing. I also looked at the Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4 Runner, Toyota Sequoia, Ford Explorer, and Chevy Tahoe. I ended up choosing the GMC Envoy for a combination of value and capabilities. As an avid Consumer Reports subscriber I was hesitant in purchasing this vehicle but I am very pleased with my decision. I obtained a very good price with a combination of GM dollars, incentives and a discount from the dealer and the vehicle has more than met my expectations in providing a smooth and quiet ride into work with decent MPG.

Smooth quiet ride (at lower speed). Above 70 mph, wind noise becomes evident. Decent gas mileage for this large of a vehicle. I average 18-19 MPG on a 20 mile commute in from the Suburbs. Plenty of room in the back. Decent towing capacity. Excellent sound system (Bose).

Seats are not as comfortable as other vehicles I drove (Honda, Toyota). Too much lean in corners. At 6'2", the rear view mirror partially blocks view to the right (e.g. cars merging from the right).

Great Performance and Comfort
By David Borchelt

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Vehicle handles well both on the highway and in shopping malls. The dispalcement on demand saves on fuel without any loss of performance. As a bonus the engine is E85 capable The nav system is easy to use and the xm radio makes trips more enjoyable.Third row seats provide plenty of extra room for the family and easily flip down to accommodate large packages. Interior is well designed and the front leg and headroom are more than adequate.