Used 2005 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Envoy XL

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

Highway MPG not as promised
By Skiwhack

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2001 Isusu Trooper anniversary edition for the Envoy XL for the 3rd row and better highway mileage est. of 18 mpg., o4 better than I was getting with the trooper. I drive consistent hwy speeds for 39 miles each way and only maxed out at 14.2 mpg. Anybody else experiencing the same thing? I'm considering having the dealer look at this because that is the claim for city mileage not highway and will trade in the lease for something with better fuel efficiency.

Favorite Features

Telematics, OnStar, 3rd row seating

Suggested Improvements

Fuel efficiency, acceleration & soft suspension

Great on Long Trips
By Rick

2005 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We recently drove from CT to FL & back. A very good experience. Seats never got uncomfortable & multiple adjustments & heating are great. The ride was pretty smooth & quiet. Very easy to drive for long periods. You feel some vibrations/bumps, but this is a truck and not a true luxury car. We wanted the extra cargo space of the XL vs. the extra seating, but it is nice to know it is there. We actually think there is more leg room in the 3rd row than the 2nd. Plenty of gadgets to keep everyone busy (rear DVD especially). We averaged about 20MPG (up to 22MG at slower speeds) even when fully loaded & going 70-75 MPH. Has the cargo & people space of a large SUV in a manageable mid-size package.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, NAV, power seat adjustments & memory option, rear DVD system, DoD V8 engine (really works), exhaust rumble (especially at startup), all the “luxury car” features. The rear glass opens separately from the whole door. My wife loves the hands free calling with the OnStar system.

Suggested Improvements

A little more leg room in the second row. More storage space (like holder for glasses) and better cup holders. Better head lights (they aren’t very bright & don’t have good coverage) the high beams aren’t very good either. Be able to play CD while using the NAV system.

2005 Envoy XL 3rd row
By ben kinsman

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The in-line 6 cylinder has good pickup with its 275 horsepower. We went on a trip the week we bought our Envoy, so I filled the 25 gal. tank and hit the road. To be as big as the XL model is, it did great on gas. We drove from Columbus GA. to Chattanooga Tenn. and back to Atlanta before we had to get gas. That's about 450 miles or more driving on the highway and around downtown in traffic.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the OnStar. It saved my wife from calling a lock smith when she locked her keys in the Envoy.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement that I would like to happen is to put cruise control and radio volume on the steering wheel.

Love my new Envoy XL!
By W

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We traded in my Lexus GX 470 since we car pool a lot and frankly needed more room. I was worried that it wouldn't handle as well as my previous SUV. It's a gem. It rides so smooth and the interior is extremely comfortable.

Favorite Features

Easy features, smooth ride and lots of the room even in the third row.

Suggested Improvements

Larger side mirrors

My First Experience
By Sandra

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Amazing car for the price. Lot of amenities. I was blown away by the interior design. I was looking for your typical color (grey), not so! Rides better than other SUV's and has much more leg and head room. I was looking to purchase towards end of the year, but couldn't pass up the great deal! Thanks GMC!

Favorite Features

Style, Interior design, Car Phone and OnStar (because I travel a lot by myself), Satellite radio, 6-dish CD changer and of course the DVD player for my kids.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest a quieter ride (too much noise from windows). Stabilize moulding along the door. All Envoys should come with running boards to accommodate shorter people.