2004 GMC Envoy XL 4.2L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - tranny slips

2004 GMC Envoy XL - Consumer Review

SLE 4dr SUV (4.2L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

tranny slips
By NJdriver on

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2004 Envoy XL & haul 2 kids (+ friends) to assorted sports games, etc. Take the annual 500mi trip to Grandma's house twice a year. I love the ride on long trips. It's not a Porsche, it's an SUV, so it will be a tad numb in the steering. I've just hit 60K miles, 5 years later & the transmission is slipping........ Neighbor had her 2005 Envoy tranny go @ only 38K miles. WHY can't the American car builders make a reliable transmission??? Past Chevy's I've owned at least waited til 100K miles til the tranny died. Nissans, Hondas, all go 200K without hiccups. I'll fix the GMC & keep it another few years but will look to the Japanese or German for my next vehicle.

Favorite Features

Love the exterior look! Beats the heck out of the "mom" minivan look. Comfortable for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

huge blind spots when driving in reverse. A/C not cold *if* stuck in traffic. Need lumbar supports in front seats!! Use transmissions that are reliable for the owners who keep thier vehicles. More front seat passenger leg room. More 2nd row leg room ~ got it right for the 3rd row.