Used 2004 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Gmc Envoy-xl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

Money pit
By chilldick

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this one brand new back in 2004. Cost me $35,000 and now I'm lucky if I get 2 grand for it. 800$ for rear ac repair. I need another door switch and will be another 250+ and also it needs to be programmed! So that's another 50$. Oil gauge is out of whack. Replaced motor mounts thermostat alternator and other things I can't recall at the moment but paid about 1300$. The latch to the glove compartment fell off, and now I need another engine! (I'm pissed!) got no choice but to buy it. I have to much invested in it. And I'm sure after that the freaking transmission will go out on it. I don't recommend this suv. Very poorly made. Engine has only 150k. To soon for new engine!

After only 6 years...mechanic told me to get rid of it!
By christiet

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from the dealership and have been the only driver. It seems that the car ran pretty well until the warranty ran out and then the flood gates opened on a myriad of problems. I've never missed and oil change and the car has been serviced properly. Yet, I have already spent 2000 to replace the lifters in the engine. The oil pressure sensor has broken twice and is broken now. I'm also having to deal with a broken gas gage for the second time. Shocks have been replaced. Stabiltrack has never worked right. And now my mechanic says my engine is skipping and will need replacing because apparently there have been alot of problems with the GM V-8 engines.

Suggested Improvements

When I talk to GMC they tell me "So sorry, your car is no longer under warranty. We realize there was a problem with the gas gages but we can't help you now." Sadly, my mechanic says it will be close to 8k to repair and the car is worth only a little more than that. Wish I would have made a more informed choice and wish GMC stood behind there product and gave service that helped the consumer.

Love my Envoy!!!!!
By rchechile

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Envoy brand new. It's been a fantastic ride. Very comfortable with the leather seats. I've had very few problems over the last 8 years. Replaced motor mounts, catalytic converter, brakes, nothing major. I have 150K+ miles and it still runs well. All in , I doubt I've put in more than $3k in repairs and maintenance over the years.

Favorite Features

Love the moonroof, power seats/windows & smooth ride. Plenty of room. Fantastic trip vehicle. Even more comfortable than my Mercedes 500 CLK.

Suggested Improvements

Hate the gas mileage around town ( about 15mpg), decent trip mileage of around 20 mpg with the inline 6. AC takes about 5 minutes to get cold during peak summer temps. All in all I would by another GMC again, too bad they stopped making the Envoy. I'm keeping this for another three years or more. Love it!

P r o b l e m s ! ! !
By faisons

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I Have A 2004 SLT GMC , It Has Been Nothing But Trouble ! It Has Had The Water Pump , Heater Cord , and Diamond Cluster Repaired ! And Just Recently I've had to take it back to the shop for 3rd Time Because it wouldn't come out of park . I Love GMC's . But If i Had to go buy ANOTHER one today , i definitely WOULD NOT buy another one . ! This GMC HAs Gave Me The Worst Problems I've Ever Had With ANY Of my Cars .! Someone Please Tell Me What To Do .

Favorite Features

It Rides Well.

Suggested Improvements

Everything Under The Hood (Parts) So They Will Last Longer .

tranny slips
By NJdriver

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2004 Envoy XL & haul 2 kids (+ friends) to assorted sports games, etc. Take the annual 500mi trip to Grandma's house twice a year. I love the ride on long trips. It's not a Porsche, it's an SUV, so it will be a tad numb in the steering. I've just hit 60K miles, 5 years later & the transmission is slipping........ Neighbor had her 2005 Envoy tranny go @ only 38K miles. WHY can't the American car builders make a reliable transmission??? Past Chevy's I've owned at least waited til 100K miles til the tranny died. Nissans, Hondas, all go 200K without hiccups. I'll fix the GMC & keep it another few years but will look to the Japanese or German for my next vehicle.

Favorite Features

Love the exterior look! Beats the heck out of the "mom" minivan look. Comfortable for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

huge blind spots when driving in reverse. A/C not cold *if* stuck in traffic. Need lumbar supports in front seats!! Use transmissions that are reliable for the owners who keep thier vehicles. More front seat passenger leg room. More 2nd row leg room ~ got it right for the 3rd row.