Used 2004 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

Most Helpful|
Love my Envoy!!!!!
By rchechile

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Envoy brand new. It's been a fantastic ride. Very comfortable with the leather seats. I've had very few problems over the last 8 years. Replaced motor mounts, catalytic converter, brakes, nothing major. I have 150K+ miles and it still runs well. All in , I doubt I've put in more than $3k in repairs and maintenance over the years.

Favorite Features

Love the moonroof, power seats/windows & smooth ride. Plenty of room. Fantastic trip vehicle. Even more comfortable than my Mercedes 500 CLK.

Suggested Improvements

Hate the gas mileage around town ( about 15mpg), decent trip mileage of around 20 mpg with the inline 6. AC takes about 5 minutes to get cold during peak summer temps. All in all I would by another GMC again, too bad they stopped making the Envoy. I'm keeping this for another three years or more. Love it!

The first/last GM vehicle I will own
By NPR_Florida

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has some great features. I really like it. However, it has had some huge electronic issues such as the fuse module welding itself to the brain of the vehicle (almost a fire hazard), constant AC problems in both the forward and rear modules, and many other problems. Should have gone with Europe/Japan, will know next time.

Favorite Features

AC, when it works.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of the electronics

Problems
By Josh

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our Envoy for 2 years and we have had the ignition switch go out about 3 times an the front and rear air conditioning quit working about 2 times.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the V-8 and the comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

I think that it needs a lot of improvements on the electrical side of it.

NEVER AGAIN
By COLUMBUSOHIO

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After research of other similar SUV's the Envoy XL was our choice for style and comfort. Six months after purchase the door interior trim panels started to pop out.. its been back 5 times just trying to get it corrected! Gas pedel needed to be replaced twice because of malfunction with the sensors! Now at 14 months after the purchase the ride is rough.. front end driver side something is wrong! (noise and vibration on drive) YET DEALER CLAIMS NOTHING WRONG! BEEN THERE 3 TIMES FOR THIS. THANKFULLY WE PURCHASED THE EXTENDED WARRENTY! I would trade the car in yet for the price paid and book value it will be upside down for the next 3 years. DONT PURCHASE!

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design. The ride.. (at least for the first 12,000 miles! Comfort and roominess of interior.

Suggested Improvements

IMPROVE QUALITY.. IF YOU PUT YOUR NAME ON IT.. STAND BEHIND IT!

P r o b l e m s ! ! !
By faisons

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I Have A 2004 SLT GMC , It Has Been Nothing But Trouble ! It Has Had The Water Pump , Heater Cord , and Diamond Cluster Repaired ! And Just Recently I've had to take it back to the shop for 3rd Time Because it wouldn't come out of park . I Love GMC's . But If i Had to go buy ANOTHER one today , i definitely WOULD NOT buy another one . ! This GMC HAs Gave Me The Worst Problems I've Ever Had With ANY Of my Cars .! Someone Please Tell Me What To Do .

Favorite Features

It Rides Well.

Suggested Improvements

Everything Under The Hood (Parts) So They Will Last Longer .