2004 GMC Envoy XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:
After only 6 years...mechanic told me to get rid of it!
By christiet on 10/23/12 18:45 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from the dealership and have been the only driver. It seems that the car ran pretty well until the warranty ran out and then the flood gates opened on a myriad of problems. I've never missed and oil change and the car has been serviced properly. Yet, I have already spent 2000 to replace the lifters in the engine. The oil pressure sensor has broken twice and is broken now. I'm also having to deal with a broken gas gage for the second time. Shocks have been replaced. Stabiltrack has never worked right. And now my mechanic says my engine is skipping and will need replacing because apparently there have been alot of problems with the GM V-8 engines.

Love my Envoy!!!!!
By rchechile on 09/28/12 23:08 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Envoy brand new. It's been a fantastic ride. Very comfortable with the leather seats. I've had very few problems over the last 8 years. Replaced motor mounts, catalytic converter, brakes, nothing major. I have 150K+ miles and it still runs well. All in , I doubt I've put in more than $3k in repairs and maintenance over the years.

P r o b l e m s ! ! !
By faisons on 11/30/11 16:29 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I Have A 2004 SLT GMC , It Has Been Nothing But Trouble ! It Has Had The Water Pump , Heater Cord , and Diamond Cluster Repaired ! And Just Recently I've had to take it back to the shop for 3rd Time Because it wouldn't come out of park . I Love GMC's . But If i Had to go buy ANOTHER one today , i definitely WOULD NOT buy another one . ! This GMC HAs Gave Me The Worst Problems I've Ever Had With ANY Of my Cars .! Someone Please Tell Me What To Do .

tranny slips
By NJdriver on 05/02/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2004 Envoy XL & haul 2 kids (+ friends) to assorted sports games, etc. Take the annual 500mi trip to Grandma's house twice a year. I love the ride on long trips. It's not a Porsche, it's an SUV, so it will be a tad numb in the steering. I've just hit 60K miles, 5 years later & the transmission is slipping........ Neighbor had her 2005 Envoy tranny go @ only 38K miles. WHY can't the American car builders make a reliable transmission??? Past Chevy's I've owned at least waited til 100K miles til the tranny died. Nissans, Hondas, all go 200K without hiccups. I'll fix the GMC & keep it another few years but will look to the Japanese or German for my next vehicle.

My 2004 Envoy
By Bill Kulling on 10/17/08 15:19 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

A very comfortable highway cruiser. Great family auto. Shifting is seamless and quiet and the ride is excellent. The fuel economy is a detractor but since it is not the daily driver this is not an issue. The 3rd row seating is roomy enough for full size adults. Many thoughtful amenities throughout car. If you can afford to fill it I highly recomend it.

Love the car. We hate to see it go
By Alan & Pam on 03/21/08 13:21 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We've had our Envoy XL SLT for 3 1/2 yrs and we are trading it off today. We love this car, and it is so comfortable and roomy, but I have been out of work now for a couple of years with health issues, and we cannot afford the high payments any longer. We were on the top when we bought it, but not any more. We held out as long as we could. Also, with the gas price craziness, we cannot afford the 16 mpg. I will be so sad when we drive off the lot and leave it there, but I will be so happy to have lower payments. My grandchildren loves this car too! To all of you that can continue to drive your Envoy XL SLT, we are happy for you.

A GMC Lover
By Anita Green on 07/12/07 13:56 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My husband bought me my Envoy XL as a GM demo. I love my Envoy XL. I have every option available and have had limited problems. I also like having seven seats to haul my grandkids around. Everything about my Envoy says luxury automobile.

Envoy XL Review
By DJ on 05/22/07 14:56 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my Envoy XL. It handles easily and even with the base 6 cylinder engine has more then enough horsepower for driving around the city. It has performed extremely well in trips to the coast and through the mountains. The only complaint so far has to be a terrible odor that comes from the air vents. It is extremely noticable in the summer time, and seems to be caused by mold build-up. My GM dealer has cleaned it out several times, but hasn't found the cure for it yet. Otherwise a strong and family- friendly vehicle with enough room in the 3rd row seats for my 2 boys to stretch out in and actually be comfortable.

The first/last GM vehicle I will own
By NPR_Florida on 09/19/06 14:55 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has some great features. I really like it. However, it has had some huge electronic issues such as the fuse module welding itself to the brain of the vehicle (almost a fire hazard), constant AC problems in both the forward and rear modules, and many other problems. Should have gone with Europe/Japan, will know next time.

Problems
By Josh on 03/30/06 09:59 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our Envoy for 2 years and we have had the ignition switch go out about 3 times an the front and rear air conditioning quit working about 2 times.