Used 2003 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

Used Purchase
By JMellies

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've only had my Envoy for a couple of months & did not buy from a very reputable used car dealer, but I love this vehicle. It's got enough get up & go off a stop to keep me from laying my foot into the gas too heavy. The previous owner seemed to not care much about the mechanical integrity of this vehicle since I had to make the dealer replace the wiring harness, then I ended up having to have the transmission completely rebuilt a couple months later. Despite that, this engine is as solid as a tank. There is nothing like an inline 6 motor! I fancy myself a shade tree mechanic and this is by far one of the easiest engines to work on. With 162k miles on it, & counting, I plan to keep her around for another 162k now that she's got a new transmission & a solid engine.

As a short-waisted woman, I LOVE the adjustable driver seat. I can see all around me, I get proper lumbar support, I don't have to be on top of the steering wheel to reach the pedals, & don't need an extra pad to raise my short self up to see past the end of the hood. As a Lyft driver, I get a lot of compliments on how comfortable my vehicle is & how easy it is to get in & out of, even from the rear set of seats. I plan to use this beast to do some beach camping this year.

Most reliably vehicle to date
By carguy208

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this truck. I purchased it in 2008 with 58k. The truck now has just about 169k. In town ave. 15 as estimated, freeway (70mph) with my family & luggage it pulls 21-22mpg average. Runs and rides great! I stay up on all maintenance: fluids, S-belt, brakes pads & rotors, coil overs, shocks, fuel filter, ball joints& driver front wheel bearing (I consider maintenance). The only non-maintenance repairs have been replacing plastic upper molding on rear door the power steering pump (reservoir leaking, did not fail), tensioner pulley & water pump, all just this year 2014. I really can’t say enough good about her. One of the best SUV’s ever built!

Interior fit/finish and dependability, power train is strong and hardworking, 4X4 can handle abuse. Just a tough, well-built truck. The Bose audio system is great.

GM had some stupid ideas (the plastic bezel/molding on rear hatch door). It is held in place via plastic clips and can easily break in colder weather. (mine broke several years back but my fix lasted until this past winter). It isn’t one of their smarter designs. The handles to fold the middle seats down are a little flimsy, but they have held up fine over the years.

I LOVE my ENVOY
By oppcy

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'm the second owner but I've had for the last 4 years and I LOVE my Envoy. I've never loved a car before but this rides smooth, is so quiet, shifts like a dream, makes tight car-like Uturns, plenty of interior room, nice leg room, has 86,000 miles. I've had to replace the fan clutch ($600), the arm rest (my fault - $70) and something else that I can't remember the name of but it may be called the driveline (?). Anyway, it's the part that causes your vehicle to shift into gear ($200). It's just been a dream to ride and drive. This is a vehicle that you want to take care of because you want it to last forever.

Smooth, quiet ride

Can't think of a thing that would make the ENVOY any better.

My 2003 Envoy
By hjl3

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Envoy XL brand new and at the beginning had several issues but I now have 152,000 miles on it and have literally put only $3000 of repairs due to my excessive driving from vacation to seeing my kids away at college. It gets impressive gas mileage STILL! I will never trade or sell this vehicle, one of my son's will inherit it since I have takin care of it like my baby!

My favorite thing is the roomy interior and great stereo sound, I love music so this is very important. I put a custom wheel package on it and visors to make it different from other Envoys on the road.

Since they do not make the Envoy anymore, I guess my suggestion for improvements would be worthless but if they did, maybe a better wheel package from the factory to personalize.

Comfortable SUV
By nelieltu

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Envoy XL brand new and always did synthetic oil changes. I flushed the transmission once. The things that went bad were (fan clutch) and (battery). Other then those two things, it performed flawlessly. Never had a problem with the engine or transmission. The interior door panels are comming un-glued, but over all it was a great purchase for my family. I just bought a 2011 Honda Pilot EX and I can already tell that I miss the power that the envoy has. But the pilot seats 8 versus the 7 in the Envoy

Automatic headlights and simple start feature. I let my wife and mother-in-law drive it and they can't damage the starter by holding it too long! HA

use clips, not glue for the interior trim