2003 GMC Envoy XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:
I LOVE my ENVOY
By oppcy on 05/22/12 03:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'm the second owner but I've had for the last 4 years and I LOVE my Envoy. I've never loved a car before but this rides smooth, is so quiet, shifts like a dream, makes tight car-like Uturns, plenty of interior room, nice leg room, has 86,000 miles. I've had to replace the fan clutch ($600), the arm rest (my fault - $70) and something else that I can't remember the name of but it may be called the driveline (?). Anyway, it's the part that causes your vehicle to shift into gear ($200). It's just been a dream to ride and drive. This is a vehicle that you want to take care of because you want it to last forever.

My 2003 Envoy
By hjl3 on 06/19/11 16:14 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Envoy XL brand new and at the beginning had several issues but I now have 152,000 miles on it and have literally put only $3000 of repairs due to my excessive driving from vacation to seeing my kids away at college. It gets impressive gas mileage STILL! I will never trade or sell this vehicle, one of my son's will inherit it since I have takin care of it like my baby!

Comfortable SUV
By nelieltu on 03/07/11 10:42 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Envoy XL brand new and always did synthetic oil changes. I flushed the transmission once. The things that went bad were (fan clutch) and (battery). Other then those two things, it performed flawlessly. Never had a problem with the engine or transmission. The interior door panels are comming un-glued, but over all it was a great purchase for my family. I just bought a 2011 Honda Pilot EX and I can already tell that I miss the power that the envoy has. But the pilot seats 8 versus the 7 in the Envoy

Overall, Great Car
By gbutterfield on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our Envoy XL for 8 years. It has served as our family vehicle. It has help up well for the past 8 years but now it is starting to wear. EX: (Both heated seats broken, computer issues, load leveling suspension issues) We LOVE this car but realize that we have to get rid of it soon. Due to the load leveling suspension issue, the car will lower itself down to the ground while we are driving it or when it is parked, so we are reluctantly looking at the Acadia because we want the same reliability and quality of a GMC.

I love my Envoy!
By happy owner on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Envoy for 7 years, I have 51,000 miles on it. I love the ride and the comfort. I did have one problem that cost me $700. I plan on keeping my Envoy for many more years. I want to thank GMC for making a quality SUV. I manage to get around 18 MPG in the city and 21 MPG on the highway, I have never had a heavy foot so I believe that is why I get better mileage than most other owners.

With Good Comes Bad
By jewel on 07/26/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Overall strong vehicle but has cost us a bit. After just over one year of ownership, the 4x4 feature started to fail. This lead to a complete transmission overhaul. $2400 there. Then within months, the fan clutch went for another $850. Less than one year now, the light is on again, what now? We already have the electronic circuit needing replacement. Apparently, that's to blame in the repeated blow out of the rear break lights. Great for camping or driving in snow/rain but you need to have some repair cash saved aside.

Good purchase
By TP on 04/02/09 19:47 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this SUV for over 6.5 years, have 95,000 miles and never had any major issues. There were a couple of recalls early on but I've had it paid for over a year now and have never had to take it to the shop other than an oil change and only 2 tires. I haven't even had to replace the brakes yet. I have no plans on replacing this car. I plan to drive it until it dies and hopefully that will be for another 95k miles.

I will not buy another GMC Envoy!
By just_mary1971 on 02/16/09 12:13 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this SUV in 2005. It is now 2009. Mind you I have only had this car for 3 years and have already experienced this many problems. When I first bought, right off the bat I had to put new brakes on it. In which I had to purchase myself (dealer did not pay for replacing them the day that I bought it). That should have told me something right there. Well, few days later, I notice the emergency brake doesn't work either. Shortly after, my air conditioning motor quit working. That cost me over $500.00. Then the stereo speaker wiring started to mess up. Now, I listen to my stereo with only 2 front speakers. Now in 2009, I am already replacing the brakes and rotors again. It has 70,000 miles.

Overall Performance
By Thom on 09/13/08 05:33 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

As a Field Service Engr for a competitive car company, the overall style sold me, but the comfort and fuel economy has made me a believer! With a tow capacity of 6800# fuel economy after break-in now delivers 16.8 cty/21.5 hwy and 11.0 when towing 54000#. With 62,000 miles the vehicle this vehicle is still solid and drives like new with a ride that is very hard to beat unless you drive a large Yukon. Having serviced the Detroit Metro circuit and performed competive bench mark drive studies, it was always a joy driving home as the comfort of this vehicle, and passenger capacity exceeds most dometic cars. Even with the intro of the new hybrids, it's hard to beat the overall investment.

2003 Envoy XL SLT 4WD
By jd on 05/11/08 07:21 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Love the Envoy, have had it for about 6 years and at 79000 miles no major problems. I have 5 kids and it is a great fit for us. I have thought about getting an Enclave but love the Envoy too much. It could do a little better on gas but its still not bad, we take a long trip every year and the is lots of room for us and our stuff. Buy one!