2002 GMC Envoy XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:
Disappointed in the Reliablility
By MCliff on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Envoy XL SLT approximately 2 months ago after much research into 7-passenger SUVs. Although we love the comfort, styling, and features of this vehicle, we have been very disappointed in its reliability. We have had it in for service 4 times in two months. The problems have involved the fuel line and fuel system (2 separate repairs), the solenoid, and the wiper mechanism (replaced wiper module after wipers and windshield wash squirters would not turn off). Needless to say, at this price and with a brand-new vehicle, we have been more than disappointed.

Great ride & features
By heythere on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I researched many SUV's that would handle 7 passengers and the Envoy XL was the best I came up with considering price, options & cargo area. Upgraded to the SLT and wanted the DVD but by the time I bought it, I had to get the moon roof instead and had them install the DVD (3 kids). Owned 1 month. Rides like a Caddilac. This is my first experience with trucks and I was plesantly surprised.

Moving along
By uncleb20 on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I waited until GMC came out with the XL edition for the third seat capacity; however, the biggest advantage is the smoother ride that the additional wheel base offers. Exterior detail is easy on the eye and makes the truck look bigger than it is.

Professional Grade???
By Graciegurl on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After wanting to move out of minivan land and into an SUV I chose the Envoy XL. As soon as I test drove it I knew this vehicle was for me. Mistake number one. Although I love the ride, comfort and convenience it offers the GMC professional grade claim doesn't hold ture. My Envoy XL has been plagued by trouble as soon as I wrote the check and tried to drive it off the lot. Trusting they would repair it and make it right was mistake number two. Electrical problems, air conditioning failure,twice,squeeking, what next?

Envoy
By emily_dave on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It has been a GREAT vehicle. We purchased one of the first Envoys. Only problem has been with the tilting side mirrors but after returning to dealership and replacing a part they have worked fine. Great ride and fun to drive.

GREAt SUV
By Lovenox on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a Nissan Pathfinder, Lexuse RX 300 and was about to buy the Toyota Seqouia when I caught a glimpse of the Emvoy XL in a parking Lot. I did some research and bought one a few weeks later. The truck is outstanding. It has exceeded my expectations.

Envoy XL SLE The best
By C17 Load on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I recently bought our Envoy XL SLE with the 1SJ package. I must tell all of you that this is by far and away the best SUV that I have ever bought or owned. We also tested the Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT, but it did not compare as far as ride, options for the price, and it did not seem as well built. The 1SJ package is basically all the works to include the DVD player for the kids. Well worth the money, especially if you have multiple children. Plenty of room and a dream to drive. Would not consider any other SUV for the price, room, options, or ride. Simply put, the best SUV for the price!!!

Envoy XL SLT w/DVD
By Agilent3070 on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent Ride Quality. Leather seats are very comfortable,Excellent Power from 4.2 liter I6. Good fuel ecomomy, concedering weight of 6000 pounds, 20 MPG Highway, 16 all-around MPG. Third row seat is for real, I am 6'4" and have plenty of leg and head room. Bose system is great. Children love DVD system. Nice having quite kids on a long trip. No quality problems to date. I highly recommend the Envoy XL.

Almost a Winner
By Berto on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

GMC finally has a midsize SUV with all the right ingredients. The Envoy XL is an attractive and comfortable SUV that delivers in smoothness and fuel economy. The ability to carry 7 adults is a big plus. Unfortunately, GMC's spotty reliability keeps me from recommending this vehicle to anyone. We have had vehicle for three months and it has been in for service 5 times. First, alignment was out, shortly afterwards the vehicle developed a vibration at around 70 mph, two weeks later the AC quit working and just recently the rear end started making a humming sound and will need to be replaced. Get an Acura MDX or Toyota Sequoia instead.

gmc envoy xl one fine vehicle
By okie on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased XL in late June and drove on 400 mile trip one week later. The Envoy was a pleasure to drive. It is very comfortable, rides extremely smooth and quiet, gets good mileage for its size ant the DVD is a cool extra. My wife drives it daily and loves it. Only problem so far is water leaked into left rear tailight assembly. Would highly reccomend the XL.