2002 GMC Envoy XL SLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 GMC Envoy XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:
GMC Envoy XL SLT
By JB14 on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is excellent in winter - it's a good solid vehicle and very dependable as well as comfortable. I always had a problem with the view - some very big blind spots, which are to be expected with a bigger vehicle but, they also existed when looking for traffic when crossing a road. I'd look one second and not see anything and look again and a car would be whizzing by me. Maybe it's just the way I sat in the car but, it was also the thickness and tilt of the window as well as the oversized mirror with the Not Used OnStar stuff - a smaller rear view mirror was not an option at the time of purchase. I liked the vehicle but never got over the view

Have had enough
By stevesb on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great package as far as room, style, and garageability. Ride is very smooth and fine steering for a big package. Radio is great. BUT...this rig has more mileage going up on a service lift than on the road. Everything electronic keeps going wrong. 4WD system breakdowns, twice towed, lights and switches working as if possessed. The dealer acts as if we are crazy. When a modulator(?) broke, he actually said that if we brought the car back to the dealership for regular oil service, they can continually update the computer. Whaaaa? Mr Goodwrench is a fraud. Looks are deceiving. Avoid this car.

in the repair ship ALOT
By Erick Reed on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Plenty of Power & good looks, But in the shop for 2 recalls. We have 36000 on the car. The following has gone wrong. Power passenger Mirror broke. Power driver seat broke, Both rear door latches,rolls backwards when on an incline. engine shudders when in Idle,replced front stabilizer links,door panels needed to be reglued together,roof rack luggage strips had to be replaced, Dealer fixed all but what a pain to keep bringing it back in to them. Many a time they would say can not duplicate problem even when it had been in there twice for the same thing

best of all
By bubbaj on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

best car i have ever bought

Gotta Luv It!
By Bowler Bob on 02/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Quiet as a church mouse. Heated seats are great. Great mileage for a full size rig. Don't like fold-down design of backseats - they interfere with moving front seats back. Cup holders awkward. Great power. Great looks. Comfortable front and rear. Don't like automatic temperature control much. Dual temperature controls are great.

DON'T BUY AN ENVOY!!!
By I've been had on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My Envoy has been in the shop 8 times the first year...no a/c; 4 whhel drive that stopped working; two recalls; running boards falling off; possessed wipers that do what they want when they want; a speedometer that says I'm driving 100 mph in my neighborhood. Absolutely ridiculous stuff for a brand new car. And the service tech said all I have to do when the a/c goes out is take out the fuse, wait 5 minutes and reinsert it!!! If that isn't adding insult to injury, I don't know what is!

Great ride, marginal initial quality
By BillH on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We brought the Envoy XL for the smooth ride and 7 seating capability. Initial quality was a disappointment - required front differential kit, audio tuner, and mirror auto-dimming repairs before 10K miles. Since then the mirror auto-dimming has ovurred again but no other problems. Not sure if I would buy one again - dealer has been moderately helpful but was a real pain on the differential problem.

happiness
By elioenai on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

great investvent, great purshasing expirience, i would buy this car egain.the car is strongit does not feel u r driving a suv, great deal

BEWARE !!!
By Frustrated & Angry ! on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

If I were you, I would stay clear of buying a 2002 Envoy. So far we have had this thing in the shop 5 times since we purchased it. It's been recall after recall and we have had to have this thing towed to the dealership 2 times because of re-occuring problems with the vehicle not being able to start or turnover at all. Haydocy's service department has been very slow and non responsive. They offer absolutely no restitution at all !!!

Total dissapointment
By Bravo7 on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I resent so much buying one it's unbelievable. Within a year the car has been in the service department 7 times; wipers stopped working, a/c broke twice and still having problems with it, car turned off by itself a few times, rear noise (transmission or differential joints were replaced), fan clutch replaced; wind noise is terrible in this vehicle, cracking noise on the steering front end (twice has been taken to the dealer for this problem) and a few other items I can't remember now. It is a nice looking vehicle but quality wise sucks!! GM could have done a better job.