2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:
A Great SUV!
By NCPIR8 on 12/24/08 08:11 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this Envoy, SLT-XL V6 since new in 8/2002, 6.5 yrs. with 115K miles. It has been great except for modulator for A/C replaced at 4yrs. Everything works fine, ride is great, carries 7 avg. sized men with room for a large cooler. Great gas mileage, 24+ highway and 17+ around town. On occasion will shift from 2wd to AWD for no reason. Mechanic has looked at twice. This has actually been in the shop less than my friend's 2002 Acura TL. I have back problems and the driver's seat is the best around for the electric adjustable lumbar support. Overall very pleased with this vehicle.

Another great GM vehicle
By toytruckman on 09/08/08 18:49 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Envoy XL new and love it. It has hauled trailers, doors, 2X4s, furniture and many other things including 7 passengers. This vehicle has only been back to the dealer twice and once was for a beauty item that I didn't like the looks. Sadly, it is time for a new vehicle (every 7 years as the GM credit card dollars start to expire)and I do not like the replacement Acadia due to the back glass not opening.

How do you treat your GMC?
By michael l on 09/06/08 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 GMC Envoy 4 years ago with 43k miles on it. The only maintainance I have done is change the oil, brakes, and tires. Sometimes I will wash it. This has been the most reliable SUV I have ever owned. How do other people drive and maintain? Easy on the gas and this SUV will take care of you. I currently have 188,468 miles on it and still runs as smooth as butter. It is a 2002. 8 years later and still runs like new. Time to buy a new and pass this to my daughter.

I love my Envoy
By Niki on 04/25/08 06:05 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Envoy! It has a lot of room (including a third row of seats), a moonroof, user settings for each driver, remote start, leather interior, and all kinds of things. I highly recommend this truck.. I love it!

Good SUV
By Chris on 01/31/08 14:34 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle with great leg room in 3rd seat. The 4wd sometimes comes on with the switch in 2wd and they have replaced the switch once already. Has been very dependable with adequate power, nice luxury, and good handling. I will definately look to buy another GMC before anything else, including imports.

Take a page from Toyota GM!
By P. Grassi on 02/18/07 07:50 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle in Aug of 2002. Mostly for the 3rd seat. Has been in shop countless times in 4.5 years, all kinds of electronic failures, connecting link replacements front and rear new AC compressor, window motors 4WD lights doing what ever it wants. The dual memory feature has been a joke! The passenger mirror is in a new position everytime you turn the key! The dealership as normal is less than helpful. Will definitely trade for a European or Asian AWD vehicle and never look back. Nice Job GM, you lost another one!!

Affordable Luxury
By Walt on 11/16/06 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for over 4 years. I put on high mileage in local driving. Vehicle has been quite comfortable, with good shoulder room and comfortable seats.

Never Again...
By MJS on 08/27/05 20:46 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

All the reviews you've read about reliability problems ARE TRUE. Thank God I bought the extended warranty. The dealerships have absolutely no committment to the product and service is horrible. Sadly, this seems to be the trend with all American made cars. I will never buy GM or Chrysler again (300M was a bigger nightmare) and I haven't been brave enough to venture Ford. Toyota (Lexus) or Honda (Acura) will be my next vehicles for a long time to come.

Good Truck, but has problems
By Tris on 04/29/05 23:51 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My family got this truck about three years ago and for the first year and a half the truck was wonderful with no problems. Soon after that, we started having many problems. The brake lights go out all the time because of the wires or something. That problem was on going for about a year, I know they recalled it. Know problems under the hood are starting to surface and the things that are not working are very expensive. The car overall is good for that first year but after that it might be a good idea to trade it in, but is a great vehicle other than the problems. Overall this is not a truck you would buy if you were planning to keep it and then give it to your kids. I was expecting to at least get five years out of it.

Non-Professional Grade
By Raven789 on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Envoy XL SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Envoy XL in Aug. of 2002 and it has been in the shop 9-times. Had the A/C compressor replaced twice, power steering pump once, rear shock replaced, On-Star system repaired, cracked fuel tack replace at 5k miles. I am very unhappy with GMC and this truck. I went from a 4Runner and will never buy a GMC again! Marketing is a wonderful thing, if your are close to the truth, professional grade?

1 2 3 4 5 next »