Used 2002 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

A Great SUV!
By NCPIR8

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this Envoy, SLT-XL V6 since new in 8/2002, 6.5 yrs. with 115K miles. It has been great except for modulator for A/C replaced at 4yrs. Everything works fine, ride is great, carries 7 avg. sized men with room for a large cooler. Great gas mileage, 24+ highway and 17+ around town. On occasion will shift from 2wd to AWD for no reason. Mechanic has looked at twice. This has actually been in the shop less than my friend's 2002 Acura TL. I have back problems and the driver's seat is the best around for the electric adjustable lumbar support. Overall very pleased with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Size vs. Horsepower vs. Fuel economy. Japanese can't beat it. Lumbar support on driver's seat is great. Smooth ride and responsive handling.

Suggested Improvements

Some electrical functions, power. mirrors, 4x4, change with no notice.

Another great GM vehicle
By toytruckman

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Envoy XL new and love it. It has hauled trailers, doors, 2X4s, furniture and many other things including 7 passengers. This vehicle has only been back to the dealer twice and once was for a beauty item that I didn't like the looks. Sadly, it is time for a new vehicle (every 7 years as the GM credit card dollars start to expire)and I do not like the replacement Acadia due to the back glass not opening.

Favorite Features

Flexibility of the cargo area to haul items or passengers.

How do you treat your GMC?
By michael l

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 GMC Envoy 4 years ago with 43k miles on it. The only maintainance I have done is change the oil, brakes, and tires. Sometimes I will wash it. This has been the most reliable SUV I have ever owned. How do other people drive and maintain? Easy on the gas and this SUV will take care of you. I currently have 188,468 miles on it and still runs as smooth as butter. It is a 2002. 8 years later and still runs like new. Time to buy a new and pass this to my daughter.

Favorite Features

Storage, looks, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None.

I love my Envoy
By Niki

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Envoy! It has a lot of room (including a third row of seats), a moonroof, user settings for each driver, remote start, leather interior, and all kinds of things. I highly recommend this truck.. I love it!

Favorite Features

moonroof, individual user settings

Suggested Improvements

more "trunk" space would be nice

Good SUV
By Chris

2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle with great leg room in 3rd seat. The 4wd sometimes comes on with the switch in 2wd and they have replaced the switch once already. Has been very dependable with adequate power, nice luxury, and good handling. I will definately look to buy another GMC before anything else, including imports.

Favorite Features

3rd seat and extra cargo room with seat down.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the seats would fold flat to the floor. The plastic trim to the rear hatch will have to be replaced a second time.