2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

New truck with some issues
By Philip

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Transmission shifts rough. Poor fit and finish, cheap plastic, two parts broke first week , one on the first day. Finally got them replaced. Oil indicator is messed up, had 53% life with 250 miles, now has 850 miles and only 40% now. Either not reset at the factory correctly or the electronics are messed up. The truck looks great, is fairly comfortable, just rough over bumps, but it is a truck. I have read a lot of horror stories today about GM's customer service and that frightens me. This is first $40,000 vehicle I have ever owned and now that I am retired I had hoped to have a good truck that would last for a long time. I hope it does and that I don't have to deal much with customer service. I will speak with the customer satisfaction representative tomorrow at Linus GMC and see if he can get me some help with the oil indicator issue. I still like the truck, just hope nothing else crops up.

Last GMC I'll ever buy!
By Dan

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

TO; GMAC 8-2-2016
RE; 2015 Canyon Pick up
Dear Sirs,
Having previous good experience with GMC I returned to your brand for my new purchases. My last GMC was a 2003 and I put nearly a quarter of a million miles on it before it was destroyed by a reckless driver. I bought the new Canyon pick-up in the winter it was running and worm when I took it for the test-drive. Which turned out to be a huge mistake on my part.

I also looked at important specifications, and window sticker nomenclature.

(1) The ability to tow up to 7000 LBS

This I do not believe can be done. I pull a small 8x10 trailer including cargo of just 350 lbs. I figure it was about 2500 lbs. it’s like pulling a house down the road at 7 MPG. Not just handling the power plant was over rot trying to keep the rig at highway speeds without even attempting to pass ( wouldn’t even consider it with the way the motor was behaving) A fifteen minute drive took nearly a quarter of a tank in gas I’ve never seen anything like that EVER.

(2) Gas mileage is just bad! 7-8 MPG with trailer!

I may as well be driving the bigger rig this is not saving me a dime.

(3) The on board computer is very slow – very, very slow.

In today’s computing world this is so frustrating having to wait long periods of time more than (30) seconds to boot - to have the tools and information to proceed on a trip. It’s not covered under warranty yet runs the entire truck so if it quits. Well that’s a problem. now the screen keeps blacking out even after being in for repair on this issue.

(4) Acceleration letting off the gas on a freeway ramp or navigating traffic and re-pressing the gas to find the motor (missing) no power!

This happens allot and it’s a terrible issue. The shop said (“they are aware of that, it’s within spec”)
The motor behaves like it’s stalling when the gas is re-applied – so, frustrating and a little scary when trying to get on a highway.

(5) Maps that are way out of date.

I travel daily and find that the navigation does not include neighborhood’s that have been established for 5 or more years.

(6) Under-powered

Granted I’m used to a V8 but was told that “THIS HAS ALL THE POWER OF AN OLD V8” in your nomenclature and advertising.

In short; I do not believe that you’re advertising, window sticker, sales team or nomenclature was truthful about what I could expect from this (Professional grade) truck. I’ve had it in the shop 4 times in 10,000 miles. I’m a self-employed and this was a major deal for me – Now being told the truck is running at specification. I’m really stuck. Tried to trade out of it only to be told I would get less than 3/4 its value so that’s a no go -- to be that upside-down. I do not know where to turn, this unit is not anything like what I was told it could do. There are other nuisances, what were you thinking - things that I could live with, but the power and towing is unacceptable! I have talked to other people what have the exact same experience- issues I’m having with this new truck!

Read this
By Rich pruckler

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First of all, I need to ding edmunds for not even listing the model with a Diesel engine. The engine is great. Love the vehicle but I am outraged that the first gravel road I went on, gravel blasted the protruding portion of the rear wheel area. Vehicle should have had mud flaps on the front. You should demand flaps be put on by your dealer. At least recommended. I will bash GMC on reviews on this everywhere I can. Major oversight on GMCs part.

2.8l Diesel- sweet!
By ARE-NJ

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I just got this puppy a month ago and it's been a great drive so far. Got the hard to get 2.8l diesel at a fantastic price and then got up sold the extended warranty which I'm not so sure I need .. Did it because the 2.8l diesel is new in the USA ( tho not new in Asia apparently).. Truck accelerates good enough for highway but does even better passing over 50 because of torque . Going up hill the truck doesn't sweat it. Gas mileage is great which really hooked me. But we will see how diesel prices out I've the years and whether it was a good decision vs getting the regular gas v6 .. Slt vs Denali? I say save your money and stick with the slt..

Good small truck
By Marcin Filip

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Great small truck. 2.8 diesel is something to consider.