2015 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

2015 GMC Canyon

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

What a GREAT truck!!!!!
By numberguy

2015 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This truck exceeded my expectations. I was unsure about going from a full-size to a mid-size truck and after driving this truck for a few days I will never go back! The V-6 gives you plenty of power and the transmission has crisp shifts. I have the All-Terrain off-road package which has a surprisingly smooth composed ride. The steering is precise and and handling is top notch! Best of all parking is a breeze!!! The interior materials give a sense of quality and the cabin is well insulated from road noise. GM did their homework when they designed this truck! Let's face it size does matter and the 2015 Canyon is the right size at the right time!

Favorite Features

The All-Terrain package is a great value. You get the Z71 suspension and it gives the SLE the SLT feature without the expense of leather seats. Oh by the way the All-Terrain seats are sharp looking. The Bose speakers sound great and the smart phone connectivity is good. Intellilink is easy to use and has nice features. Really like the storage area under the back seat in the crew cab. Go for the factory spray in bedliner if you can, it finishes the box off nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Separate front and rear height adjustments for the front seats would be nice. Also a pull out seat cushion extender for the driver seat like the Caddy SRX has would be a BIG plus. This feature would be a huge selling point especially for people over 5'10". The omission of back up sensors that beep is surprising.

Good value overall, happy with switch from full size
By zeniac

2015 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Switched from a full sized Silverado with no regrets. Although I have only driven it 400 miles, I know it was the right choice. It is comfortable, quiet, and reasonably appointed.The box is a bit narrower (about 6in), but with the 6.2 ft box, you can still haul quite a bit of stuff. The V-6 is strong, but a bit loud when pushed. I got just over 25mpg on the my first extended highway trip driving at speeds of 70-78mph which was quite impressive for me. The pricing is also quite competitive, and you can get a very well equipped truck around 30K, my sweet spot. I will update once I get more miles on the truck if my opinion changes as I get more miles on it.

Favorite Features

The Nav and Bose sound system was a bit of a surprise, it was a very inexpensive option and well worth the extra $500 each, and is more than adequate for most people. Being an AT&T customer, it also only costs $10/mo. extra to add the truck on my account to have the WiFi hotspot feature, which is a big plus, especially in areas where reception on a mobile phone is poor. In areas where I would normally loose reception for Pandora, I have had no problems at all and it is great for passengers to work/play on their tablets or NB's. There's lots to like with this truck, and I feel it is a good bargain for someone that can live with the smaller box size.

Suggested Improvements

The voice recognition for both the phone & Navigation system is woeful. As native english speaker, I only get a correct response about 1 out of 3 tries. I have also never been able to get text messaging to function with my iPhone, nor could the dealer. Too much plastic on the exterior trim, especially in areas like the rear bumper. I can see it getting cracked and broken over time. The non-powered passenger side seat does not have a manual handle to raise or lower the seat, & can be uncomfortable for a shorter passenger. The storage trays under the rear seat take up a lot of space that could be better utilized without them, or have the ability to easily remove them if you prefer.

Midsize Truck Worth the Money
By skylandry

2015 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned multiple Tacomas, Frontiers and Ridgelines. I like the midsize truck. I decided on the Canyon mainly for improved driving comfort on long trips as well as gas mileage. I have 2,628 miles and my lifetime MPG is 22. That is impressive. The best highway mileage on any of the above trucks was 22. I am getting 22 in mixed driving and have gotten over 25 on the highway. The build quality is solid and I love the 6' 2" bed. The truck is as long as a full size pickup but 6" narrower which makes all the difference in the world when parking. If you compare it to the 80's and 90's trucks it is just as big but 100% better. It does everything I need and nothing I don't.

Favorite Features

Very smooth ride, Towing capacity of 7000 lbs, MPG of 22 mixed with 25 Hwy, Onstar RemoteLink app (lets me check MPG, tire pressure, oil life, locate the truck, send directions to the truck, lock/unlock, remote start/stop of engine), Radio is nicely done, voice commands work great for phone and radio, built in phone in the truck is a great feature when you want to leave your phone at home but still have a way to make a call should the need arise, long bed of 6' 2" which carries around 1500 lbs and finally the tough look of the sierra in the smaller package. GMC got this one right…not that chevy didn't but I prefer the tougher look to the sport car look of the Colorado.

Suggested Improvements

Door bins are very small and hard to reach, there is a small occasional rattle in the steering column (I haven't had my first service where I will ask them to locate and fix) and the air temperature is either too cold or too hot…can't find that # that is just right (I will ask dealer about this issue as well)….beyond these minor nits I would buy it again and again…just a great truck with smooth ride!

A Well Built Midsize Pickup
By 47bblack

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After much research, I decided on the GMC Canyon over a full size pickup. With 1500+ miles on the Canyon, this is my take on the truck. RIDE, a truck like ride that is smooth, firm and quite. HANDLING, confident and comfortable but a bit heavy at times. ENGINE, strong V6, fuel efficient. TRANSMISSION, shifts smoothly and for the most part predicable. On strong acceleration or downshifting the transmission can have a hard shift at times. FUEL ECONOMY, first two tanks over 22.5 MPG (70% Highway) This is a little better than I expected. BUILD QUALITY, very good fit and finish and build quality over all. VALUE, good, the Chevy Colorado would be a better choice for some concerning value.

Favorite Features

LIKES, over all quality, looks, quite ride, EZ lower tailgate, strong V6 with good fuel economy. DISLIKES, The storage compartments in the front doors are worthless. Low front air damn a problem for any serious off roading. Standard speaker system average at best.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the front door storage compartments. A little more refinement to an otherwise good transmission. BOTTEM LINE I would buy the GMC Canyon again without hesitation. The GMC Canyon is a nice looking and well built midsize pickup with a strong V6 engine and 7000 lb. towing. The Canyon is less money that a full size V8 truck with better fuel economy. The Canyon is a good alternative to a full size pickup and a strong contender in the midsize market.