2009 GMC Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
Great looking and performing Truck
By rhawes on 05/13/12 12:19 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Bought a ’09 4x4 Quad Cab SLT fully loaded with Z71 suspension and the 5.3L V-8 engine new for vacation travel and to use when going skiing by our cabin in northern Arizona. This truck has been everything I thought it would be and more! I had looked and test drove other trucks in the mid-size class; the Toyota was the only one that came close to it, but Iwould have had to settle for a basic 4x4 quad cab model for what I paid for this truck. Toyota offers a 4.0L engine which didn’t seem to have the pull of the 4.3L that was in my ’98 S10. If GMC hadn’t offered the 5.3L engine, I “might” have considered the Toyota a bit more, but after driving one then the choice was simple.

This truck saved my life
By jequines on 02/04/11 11:19 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

Stabilitrac on this truck is the best thing I have ever had in a vehicle, driving through a blizzard in the mountains for 7hrs with 1/2 a foot of snow on the highway and this truck(2wd) with firestone winterforce tires handled it like a champ, no slipping no sliding it drove perfectly. gets great mileage 20city 28 hwy. By far the most powerful 4cyl pickup I test drove. Looks great and now have 40,000kms on it with no problems. Interior front seats are comfortable rear seat in ext cab are a joke, for children only. Truck tows my 3000 boat no problems and this little 2wd can get through suprisingly deep snow confidently. Would defn' buy another.

Canyon Conquers Mountain Commute
By Wayne Dear on 01/29/10 11:18 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 120 miles round trip uphill both ways. The 3.7L I5 4sp auto has lots of power even with a full load. Got 24.9 mpg on the first fill up. 17" tires, high clearance good for off road, truck tracks steady in 4wd on snow and ice. CPU broke down in mountains; OnStar emergency towing and GMC warranty worked fine. Plenty of storage behind front seats but no room to sit there 'cept for babies. Middle seat belt a joke so I disconnected it. Friends commented on rugged good looks and awesome metalic blue paint job. Overall, a smart, affordable "small" 4wd truck.

Great truck few problems
By seabig on 12/15/09 07:49 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2009 ex cab long box 2wd. Pros. -gas mileage, just over 20mpg in the city -no problems really so far, -stabilitrac is a must for winter driving -stereo sounds great -comfortable -power is adequate -Love all the chrome and the little tool boxes under the rear seats Cons. -Tires (amerigeneral) love to grab little stones and fling them up causing paint chips. Driving down a road that is dirty sounds like you are being shot at. -Plastic around stereo and vents looks very cheap -trac control comes on automatically and limits acceleration if you forget to turn it off and try to jump across traffic you might die -drivers door wouldn't shut right but dealer adjusted it and its fine now

Comfortable, Fun to Drive V8
By Lanie on 11/24/09 16:24 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Canyon Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

FYI, I have the extended cab V8 SLT. This website did not have that choice. In any case I have had this truck about 9 months now, and just love it. It is really comfortable to drive. Being in CO it is wonderful to have the heated seats in winter. It handles well in snow, on rough dirt roads, etc. The gas mileage isn't great, but didn't expect it to be given that it is a V8. Has great "get up and go" to get up those mountains!

Great truck
By newowner on 10/17/09 20:42 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

Got this truck during cash C4C and love it. The cons: Lucky to get 15 miles per gallon in the city. The engine doesn't have a lot of punch starting from zero. Low clearance and not meant for off road if not 4X4. The pros: Great power on the highway. Has real punch once you get over 50. Quiet at high speeds, compared to other trucks. Smooth suspension, great on washboard, bumpy roads. Very comfortable with a lot of room, at least in the front. Great interior; I don't agree that it has too much plastic or seems cheap on the inside. Replaced tiny factory tires and it has a great, classic look now. Note:Toyota and Nissan are now copying big, boxy look of GMC trucks.

bought American-GMC Loyalty customer
By 355nation believer on 09/04/09 19:36 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

less than 2K mi. just got it, but I Cash for Clunkers'ed a GMC Sierra 1500 w. 156K mi. The improvements in this truck over my 90's era truck are amazing! It's NOT the 4x4 model I have, it's the 4X2. The site doesn't allow the inline 5 cyl. engine 4X2 choice for the crew cab. The power of the 225 c.i. engine is great, much better than my old 4.3 liter V-6 could muster. It has passing power! I have had a Taco (Toyota Tacoma) left 'in the dust' after a traffic merging. Mileage is about 17-18 mpg in mostly city driving, not really broken-in yet. Interior comfort is high. The truck drives like a car more-than a truck. The crew cab is spacious-enough for two adults in the rear.

Grandma Loves This Truck
By GrandmaBooBoo on 08/10/09 04:26 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Perfect vehicle for this disabled Grandma who loves to go camping with the kids.I neither have to plop down into nor hoist myself out of the seat. Lumbar support drivers seat is a godsend!Plenty of room in the crew cab for 3 children and leg room enough for taller adults too. Even the short bed has enough room for my mobility scooter AND all our camping gear.I don't know how others are driving to get ONLY 20MPG, because I consistently average slightly OVER 25 MPG on the highway and 18-19mpg in town. The OnStar is amazing!I can receive calls in remote areas where my cell phone does not work. This 5 cyl. truck has NO problem climbing mountains even fully loaded. I LOVE this truck!

Great Mileage
By JohnS on 06/12/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

This 4 cyl Canyon replaces a Chevy S10 and after having looked at all the small pickups (Ford, Toyota, Nissan) I have been extremely pleased with it. I was expecting slightly less gas mileage since I went from a 2.2 engine to 2.9 and from standard to automatic, but it's has matched the S10 with 23 / 24 around town and 27 / 28 on the highway. Just great fun to drive

2009 Canyon new 5.3 ltr. V-8
By Jack on 01/02/09 18:24 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Traded my 06 Canyon for a hard to find 09 V-8 model. Was worth the effort. Lots of power, z71 package holds it in the road. Fun to drive and growls.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 GMC Canyon in VA is:

$114 per month*