Nice Truck at a Reasonable Price
By GMC Owner on
2008 GMC Canyon SL 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)
I previously owned a 4 cylinder, manual 5-speed S-10 with 118 hp, and it was running perfectly with 180,000 miles when I bought this new GMC. THE S-10 total cost of repair was less than $1,000 during the time I had it, and I hope this GMC can get close to that. The 242 hp of the GMC Canyon is a big improvement, and I don't have to worry about keeping up with traffic on steep freeway hills anymore. The suspension is awesome compared to the S-10. The drastically increased power, and much better braking make the truck fun to drive. I get about 25 mpg highway and about 16 mpg city. In contrast, my S-10 got about 31 highway and 22 city.
Favorite Features
Noteworthy are the good brakes, respectable engine power, and good suspension. I also like the stereo AM/FM CD/MP3 player. The switch that allows the interior lights to be turned off when opening the door is a nice touch that adds privacy.
Suggested Improvements
I prefer a manual transmission, and I would like to see this truck offered with a five-speed for all engines, not just the 4 cylinder. Seating comfort is a little Spartan. An oil pressure gauge would be a nice feature.