Used 2008 GMC Canyon Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

2008 GMC Canyon Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Nice Truck at a Reasonable Price
By GMC Owner

2008 GMC Canyon Regular Cab SL 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 4 cylinder, manual 5-speed S-10 with 118 hp, and it was running perfectly with 180,000 miles when I bought this new GMC. THE S-10 total cost of repair was less than $1,000 during the time I had it, and I hope this GMC can get close to that. The 242 hp of the GMC Canyon is a big improvement, and I don't have to worry about keeping up with traffic on steep freeway hills anymore. The suspension is awesome compared to the S-10. The drastically increased power, and much better braking make the truck fun to drive. I get about 25 mpg highway and about 16 mpg city. In contrast, my S-10 got about 31 highway and 22 city.

Favorite Features

Noteworthy are the good brakes, respectable engine power, and good suspension. I also like the stereo AM/FM CD/MP3 player. The switch that allows the interior lights to be turned off when opening the door is a nice touch that adds privacy.

Suggested Improvements

I prefer a manual transmission, and I would like to see this truck offered with a five-speed for all engines, not just the 4 cylinder. Seating comfort is a little Spartan. An oil pressure gauge would be a nice feature.

wish I would have waited for the V8
By Mark S

2008 GMC Canyon Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 I4 Canyon 2Wd Ext Cab since June 2008. I have over 41,000 miles on it. Most of the miles are hwy driving. 18-20 city 25-27 Hwy. I wish the V8 option would have been available when I purchased. I couldn't wait because I was driving a 2006 GMC HD2500 with the 496 Big Block and allison trans. 15 mpg Hwy at best. I love my Canyon I just wish It had the V8 option. I added after market wheels and micheland tires, best thing I could have done. The only issue I have had is during starting it used to shake and cause the check engine light to come on. The dealership reprogrammed the computer and it's fine now. I also had ghost wipes from the wipers, they had to reprogram again.

Favorite Features

stereo, cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

better seats. more tint on the side windows,

Runs like a champ
By john232

2008 GMC Canyon Regular Cab SL 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

Truck has lots of power for a 4 banger. Get about 26 on the highway and 18 in the city. Smooth tranny and stoutly built medium sized truck. I recommend this truck. Four wheel anti lock brakes are standard as are cruise control. Get the auto trans you will not be dissapointed. I got the SL trim with sliding glass back window.

Favorite Features

Chrome accents on the dash, sliding glass back window, auto smooth trans, fog lights, 4 wheel anti lock brakes, quiet and good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

All trim levels should have reclining back rest seats, bed liner should be standard.