Used 2008 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Most Helpful|
Nice Truck at a Reasonable Price
By GMC Owner

2008 GMC Canyon SL 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 4 cylinder, manual 5-speed S-10 with 118 hp, and it was running perfectly with 180,000 miles when I bought this new GMC. THE S-10 total cost of repair was less than $1,000 during the time I had it, and I hope this GMC can get close to that. The 242 hp of the GMC Canyon is a big improvement, and I don't have to worry about keeping up with traffic on steep freeway hills anymore. The suspension is awesome compared to the S-10. The drastically increased power, and much better braking make the truck fun to drive. I get about 25 mpg highway and about 16 mpg city. In contrast, my S-10 got about 31 highway and 22 city.

Favorite Features

Noteworthy are the good brakes, respectable engine power, and good suspension. I also like the stereo AM/FM CD/MP3 player. The switch that allows the interior lights to be turned off when opening the door is a nice touch that adds privacy.

Suggested Improvements

I prefer a manual transmission, and I would like to see this truck offered with a five-speed for all engines, not just the 4 cylinder. Seating comfort is a little Spartan. An oil pressure gauge would be a nice feature.

Brake Problems
By ken Almonrode

2008 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

The day I picked it up the head lights would not shut off and brake pedal went almost to the floor. the Dealer fixed the head lights and was told the brakes were ok they are all like that. Back to the dealer for wipers that turned on by their self and low tire light coming on for on reason. Took vehicle to a none dealer service station were they trued the rear drums and solved the brake problem.

Favorite Features

good gas milage

Runs like a champ
By john232

2008 GMC Canyon SL 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

Truck has lots of power for a 4 banger. Get about 26 on the highway and 18 in the city. Smooth tranny and stoutly built medium sized truck. I recommend this truck. Four wheel anti lock brakes are standard as are cruise control. Get the auto trans you will not be dissapointed. I got the SL trim with sliding glass back window.

Favorite Features

Chrome accents on the dash, sliding glass back window, auto smooth trans, fog lights, 4 wheel anti lock brakes, quiet and good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

All trim levels should have reclining back rest seats, bed liner should be standard.

Nice Little Ride
By rtjacks2

2008 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Purchased the 2008 SLT Crew Cab 5cyl 4WD Dec 4th, 2007. To date we have around 6000 miles from 60 miles/day commute. Initial gas mileage was avg, but has steadily increased after continued break-in. Don't expect great mpg due to weight, but to date at 16mpg hwy. Will get cold air induction, better plugs, and go to synthetic old to eek out some more mpg. Build quality good, but sparse. This is your basic truck. Throw about 10k more for full size goodies and vanity mirrors. Nothing broke to date. Fun vehicle to drive, but turns like a ship. I hope GM fixes this and gets 5speed tranny. Roomy interior and ample hauling capability. Satisfied with money spent.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and bed extender.

Suggested Improvements

5 speed automatic transmission and remote start.

wish I would have waited for the V8
By Mark S

2008 GMC Canyon SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 I4 Canyon 2Wd Ext Cab since June 2008. I have over 41,000 miles on it. Most of the miles are hwy driving. 18-20 city 25-27 Hwy. I wish the V8 option would have been available when I purchased. I couldn't wait because I was driving a 2006 GMC HD2500 with the 496 Big Block and allison trans. 15 mpg Hwy at best. I love my Canyon I just wish It had the V8 option. I added after market wheels and micheland tires, best thing I could have done. The only issue I have had is during starting it used to shake and cause the check engine light to come on. The dealership reprogrammed the computer and it's fine now. I also had ghost wipes from the wipers, they had to reprogram again.

Favorite Features

stereo, cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

better seats. more tint on the side windows,