2005 GMC Canyon 3.5L 5-cyl. 4-speed Automatic 5.1 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Long term review

2005 GMC Canyon - Consumer Review

Z71 SLE Base Crew Cab Pickup (3.5L 5-cyl. 4-speed Automatic 5.1 ft. Bed)

Long term review
By Andy L. on

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in Oct 2004. My review from Jan 06 remains true. This truck has been outstanding. The fit and finish on the interior is fine, the exterior has held up perfectly. It is very well powered, and a pleasure to drive. Does great in Michigan winters. Even better with new Dick Cepek FC-II tires. I've hauled many loads of wood, pulled a small boat, traveled with family of five and never been let down. The only two issues have been the theft deterance went out (minor), and the drivers window regulater died ($300) I have 86k miles and plan to put on many more.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, drivers legroom and headroom, handling is good, and performance is above average.

Suggested Improvements

Inline 4.2 six cyl, or a turbo (clean) diesel option. 8 ft bed option on reg cab. Bose stereo like wifes envoy. (I'm jealous)
By sullylang
on 11/24/11 06:15 AM (PST)

Almost 2 years since last post. Truck now has 111,000 miles on it. Still runs great. Just changed plugs, the old ones still looked like new. Just towed a trailer with daughters stuff from Michigan to Maryland (650 miles) with no problems. I'm very attached to this truck. 7 years and still don't want to let it go. This is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle. When towing a heavy trailer you have to put it in "3" instead of "D". A tow haul mode could have made this unnecessary, but is easy enough to correct for. Towed daughters stuff at 70MPH on the way out, but dropped to 60 for better fuel economy.