2005 GMC Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
Only have 1100 on it
By Daniel on 08/21/05 00:29 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just picked this up, first one on the lot. I've only 1100 miles, but drove like a dream up in Yosimite and is very comfortable for my 40 minute commute, even with the standard cab. I am disapointed with the gas mileage, I am averaging 20.9mpg with an automatic, mostly freeway driving without AC. Seems very low to me. I was getting 20.2 mpg with my V8 Silverado. I bought this one, hoping to get an improvment over that. Over all, a very enjoyable compact pickup for only $13k. (AC, Cruise, standard cab)

Great vehicle
By Bob on 08/20/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Has been totally reliable in 15k miles, great ride, surprising pickup and fuel mileage. I expected a lot and got more than I expected! And, it is made in the USA.

Rides great, looks great
By Terry on 08/12/05 16:12 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I've had a number of people ask me about this truck. They love the front end look. I've added a cap (Century), sunroof (CRL) and upgraded the sound system (Alpine XM) and made this into a great ride for my wife and I on some long trips. Lots of open cab room, leather and heated seat... the only way to go in New England.

Excellent truck
By neil lockhart on 08/10/05 08:10 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have driven GMC trucks for 20 years after driving Fords for 16. They have never been in shop for repairs, so I bought another one. It's a great truck with plenty of power. I get 20mpg and a lot of compliments. It cost me $6000 less than the Japanese models and has more power than all other trucks in its class. Don't let the so-called experts fool you, if you can still get the good pricing, go for it.

Great
By schrn on 08/06/05 11:34 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Great mileage for a truck. It has good pickup speed in traffic and manuevers well. Has a good turning radius. I haven't tried it off road yet.

Downsize with a Reason
By Joe on 08/02/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I traded a Dodge 2500 4x4 in for my new 2005 GMC Canyon. I traded because of the high gas prices. What I got was a truck that suits all my needs in every way. First off, this truck is stylish and tough looking. The Z71 package with the offroad suspension has me ready for any adventure I want to tackle. This truck is a great fit.

Perfect for me
By 1mortician on 07/30/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

With all the bad reviews available on any vehicle, it is important to each driver to find/select the best vehicle for their individual needs. This vehicle aptly drives in the snow, moves mulch, hauls frequent loads from Home Depot, and helps move the occasional friend when called upon. My model is a fairly lightly optioned for an SLE packaged as I intended it ,3.5L, automatic, crank windows, manual locks, cruise control, good stereo. Finding a vehicle that is the combination of the right price, the right features and the right size is difficult, and for an all around well suited vehicle for my needs this Canyon delivers perfectly.

Good commuter!
By Tim on 07/28/05 11:32 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

First the details: 2dr regular cab Z85 SLE with the 5cyl 3.5L automatic. I purchased this vehicle as a commuter and have been enjoying it a lot. I wanted the additional power of the 5cyl, but didn't need the extended cab. Combine the extra power, all the electric options/conveniences, and an automatic and you have a great commute vehicle. I looked at the Chevy Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, and a full size Silverado to compare. The combination I wanted was style, power, no extra cab, automatic trans, a way to transport the bike, and an occasional trip to Home Depot. This provided a great compliment to the weekend sportier car with a manual trans for more aggressive driving.

Beter new than old
By Jammer on 07/20/05 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I have had an S10 crew cab for 3 years and traded it in as soon as I drove this one. The power is more than enough for a smaller pickup. The truck is not made for large towing but it does handle my 2 ATV's on a trailer just fine. Gas mileage is much superior to my old S10, about a 20% increase, and it isn't even broken in yet. The interior is typical GMC, but I like it simple. Stereo, and interior controls are easy to use and understand. The rear doors give good access to the extended cab which has almost as much room as my old crew cab did! The handling is superb, crisp and the acceleration is miles above my old one. If you like your S10, do yourself a favor and buy a new Canyon.

2005 Canyon crew
By David on 07/18/05 20:52 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Seat comfort is substandard. Love the overall design. Gas mileage is to be expected from a 4 wheel drive. Stereo sounds good, but I really hate the auto volume.