Used 2005 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

2005 GMC Canyon

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Nice Little Truck
By Phil

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Overall, a good light-duty truck and I am happy with it. Fuel ecomony is about what the EPA said it would be (23MPG Hwy / 19MPG City). Fun to drive and the I-5 engine with the 3.42 rear end is peppy enough for everyday driving, but the cruise downshifts if you are climbing any significant grade at all - and rather abruptly! Cruise set on 65MPH will indicate 1750 RPM. No mechanical problems so far (6300 mi). I ordered it with leather seats & most of the available toys. No squeaks or rattles and the body is very tight. A good little truck for today's high gas prices!

Favorite Features

Body styling, fuel economy, interior quietness. I love the engine MPG and performance. Fun to drive, gauges and controls are straight-forward and no- nonsense. Crew cab will easily hold 4 adults, but forget about 3 adults in the back seat. AC is very good - even in 110 deg heat.

Suggested Improvements

I ordered the best leather seats available and they are uncomfortable at best - no lateral support. The lumbar adjustment is useless. Center console is small and cheap-looking. I'd give the Canyon a "10" rating if GM would do a better job on the seats and center console!!

Great Truck
By Matt

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Great truck for doing things you need to do, without the gas of a full size. Great family car to take to the beach, worth every bit of money.

Favorite Features

The 3.5 5 cyl it has 246 hp. a lot better pick up than the 4 cyl .

Suggested Improvements

Make the back a little bit bigger for the second row.

Canyon z71 crew 4x4
By CrazyEyez

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I just got the truck in October already has 4110 miles on it and I got it with 88 miles on it. Fuel mileage really stunk at first, but as with other owners Iíve talked to, itís getting better as it breaks in some more. The ride is pretty good, though it is stiff being that mine is the 4x4 z-71. Handling is pretty good for a truck. The inline-5 motor has plenty of power, but it lacks in a good strong sound. The engine, though more powerful then the old 4.3L v-6, doesnít sound as powerful as the v-6. I drove a 4.3L powered 2000 Blazer 4x4 4door, and I am missing that extra 25lb-ft of torque that the 4.3L has over the inline-5. And though I havenít had a chance to, 4wd seems pretty strong.

Favorite Features

Feels like a bigger truck when I drive it, but handles like a smaller truck. 4wd system seems very capible, though I haven't tried it out too hard. Talked to others that have, it works pretty good.

Suggested Improvements

Power does not equal to the inline-6 minus one cylinder. Stock horn was weak and died after I washed the truck and got it too wet. Bed needs more cargo capacity. Bed could be wider, can't hold plywood side-to-side down between wheel wells.

Nice Truck
By Cris

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck, my first "new" vehicle, for my 50th birthday and BA degree graduation present. It's been great. I did have a squeak in the radio but there was a kit that the dealer put on for me (rubber molding around the unit) that got rid of it. Great running, only in the shop for a recall once. I do get the oil changed as recommended, which helps on vehicle longevity. I did notice molding around rear tires now coming loose so that's a problem. Otherwise impressed and a nice ride (my carpooler said the heated leather seats help his back more than his chiropractor!)

Favorite Features

Heated seats, radio adjusting to road speed

Suggested Improvements

Better adhesive on rear wheel well exterior

Love it so far
By Jason

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have owned my Canyon for a month now and this being my first truck I love it! It has plenty of power and the look is great, only thing I have any sort of problem with is the rear seat is a little shallow but I don't sit there so no biggie. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants a small truck that has good gas mileage and lots of HP.

Favorite Features

Overall looks, power and options

Suggested Improvements

Could use rear disc brakes and a deeper rear seat