Used 2005 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Stone
By Pete Stone

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.

Favorite Features

I like the traction control, the smooth ride and handling on and off road. I like the CD player, XM radio, and the OnStar. My favorite feature is the looks of the truck with the Off Road package.

Suggested Improvements

Could use better material on the seats. I will get leather next time. I don't like the General tires, I prefer Goodyear or Bridgestone.

Good All-Around Truck
By Dan

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I traded a 2002 Blazer for my '05 Canyon. The Canyon has great mileage for a 4x4 truck; interstate travel is about 24mpg, 19mpg around town. My 3.5L I-5 does great for fuel but compromises in towing. Pennsylvania winters are no problem, it does great in a lake effect snow storm! At 76,000 I haven't had any major work outside of normal wear and tear. I drive the truck everyday and it fits my lifestyle great, including many outdoor activities. I try to not use it like a work truck. I still get compliments at the gas pump! Speaking for the crew cab, I would highly recommend this truck

Favorite Features

Z71 SLE package adds a great look with stainless tube steps, fog lights, and painted fender flairs. Upgraded stereo with 6 disc changer and XM makes long rides nice. Gas mileage is excellent for a truck. Many accessories available through GM.

Suggested Improvements

Other trucks in the same class have more comfortable front bucket seats. The rear seat (in my crew cab) does not fold in a way that allows for more storage. OnStar seems obselete with todays cell phones.

Overall a good truck but has some issues
By John

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is a great medium sized truck but there are the usual GM fit and finish issues. The turning radius is ridiculous and cause many parking lot problems. The radio is probably the worst piece of junk I have found in any vehicle.The radio is an easy fix with aftermarket units. The turning radius is not curable. Experienced a few rattles, could be tighter.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, roomy interior. I have cloth seats which are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius and radio-worst features. One is easily fixed by the aftermarket but you're stuck with the other.

Love it so far
By Jason

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have owned my Canyon for a month now and this being my first truck I love it! It has plenty of power and the look is great, only thing I have any sort of problem with is the rear seat is a little shallow but I don't sit there so no biggie. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants a small truck that has good gas mileage and lots of HP.

Favorite Features

Overall looks, power and options

Suggested Improvements

Could use rear disc brakes and a deeper rear seat

Good But.
By Jason

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

For a midsize pickup I have no great complaints. It is great for a light load, and has a slightly larger look to it than the previous S-10. With 30,000 miles on it, I have had no problems.

Favorite Features

The larger look from the old generation.

Suggested Improvements

The seatiing in the rear could use some attention, but nothing major.