Used 2005 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Great little truck!
By bill

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my GMC Canyon used with 20k on it in early 2009. It is a well built and quality truck in my opinion. It has the 3.5 and automatic trans. and gets an average of 25-26 mpg. Very pleased with the truck and features and would recommend it to anyone who wants a smaller economical truck. I looked at Ford and the imports, and this GM truck is as good and maybe better and glad I bought it.

Favorite Features

comfort/ride good workmanship

Suggested Improvements

hood springs to hold the hood up and a passenger outside door lock

Best Truck I have ever owned!!
By Devastator_454

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had no intention of trying to improve this vehicle when I first bought it. But after driving it for the first 2mths I was curious about what else I could do to improve its performance and make it more fun to drive. Just adding a K&N intake to it, the results were undeniable. Since then I have added a Magnaflow exhaust system, changed the 3.42 to 4.10 and added belltech anti-sway bars to name a few. This truck is now Super Awesome. It is the best 4cyl truck out there. Not even import cars with modifications can beat it. One day I plan to drop a larger engine in it. Then I will really be kicken!!

Favorite Features

The 2.8l engine is the strongest and larges 4cyl I have ever known....well until 2007. The transmission is the best truck in its class for speed shifting.

Suggested Improvements

PUT A KEY ENTRY ON THE PASSANGER SIDE DOOR ALREADY!!!!!!!

Nice Truck
By Cris

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck, my first "new" vehicle, for my 50th birthday and BA degree graduation present. It's been great. I did have a squeak in the radio but there was a kit that the dealer put on for me (rubber molding around the unit) that got rid of it. Great running, only in the shop for a recall once. I do get the oil changed as recommended, which helps on vehicle longevity. I did notice molding around rear tires now coming loose so that's a problem. Otherwise impressed and a nice ride (my carpooler said the heated leather seats help his back more than his chiropractor!)

Favorite Features

Heated seats, radio adjusting to road speed

Suggested Improvements

Better adhesive on rear wheel well exterior

Engine /electrical problems
By marc

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase it was noted to have bad water leakage on the passager side under the dash that shorted out the OnStar system and caused the computer to error. Problem was found to be a bad lead seam over the windshield. Computer error causes one of the cylinders to runs rich, crack in exhaust manifold, now getting only 11 mpg. Remote failure also, attempted to open the door with key and found that the tumblers in the door and back gate had been missed keyed. Lots of problems with remote entry system and electrical connectors under vehicle rusting loss of plate lights and other exterior lights. Vehicle only 18 month old and GM providing little help.

Favorite Features

The truck is a good size and fills and function but is under powered and low mileage in the 5 cyl. type

Suggested Improvements

GM should extend warrent coverage to exhaust manifold and electrical problems if they want to keep return buyers

Frustrated with Canyon
By Kristen

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! What frustration with this truck. I love the looks of it and wanted it to be the best. However, it's been to the shop at least 10 times. At 25,000 the engine and head went bad so they put a new one in. Luckily it was under warranty. Now, at 65,000 miles the head is bad again! Within 25,000 miles, the brakes and tires needed replaced. Like others I've noticed the air conditioning system is not good and doesn't cool very well. In addition, my CD player is broke. I've done every suggested GM service at the mileage marks to keep it in top shape but it didn't work. I'm in the process of looking for a new truck and contacting GM. Very dissappointing!

Favorite Features

Front end design, Nice size for a compact truck.

Suggested Improvements

Engine! Air conditioning system, arm rests inside