2005 GMC Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
Love My Canyon!
By woofie on 11/26/06 18:38 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

What a great truck to run around with and take out hunting! It's a little workhorse and it looks good no matter what we do with it. Consumer Reports doesn't rate this truck well at all but they dont know anything but Toyota,Honda, Nissan etc. Not every truck is perfect, but this truck suits us just fine!

Major Problems
By Stauch on 11/14/06 17:26 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is probably the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. I traded in a 2001 Dakota to try and improve on the amount of money I spend weekly for gas. I do quite a bit of driving due to my work, plus I have to be able to carry material with me out to distant job sites. My first 3 months the truck was in the shop 7 times. I called the GM hotline to no avail. All of the problems had stemmed from when the truck was built. Windsheild wiper transmission mounts welded in wrong place, causing wipers to dig through plastic, gouge windshield, and finally stripping, all during a major storm, which is what my job is all about. Defective wiring, fried CPU. Dead on the side of the road again

Excellent truck
By David on 10/29/06 20:59 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love the exterior design. Interior is well laid out but it doesn't seem the designers spent a whole lot of time on it. Excellent fit and finish. Stereo is competent as well as the engine. The only problem I've had so far is a faulty fog light wire. Back seat is a little cramped but it is a compact truck.

Great truck
By Goden on 06/22/06 08:55 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've used this truck for hauling and as a daily driver. Great little truck, very smooth 5 speed, comfortable for a bench seat.

GMC Rules
By Truck Man on 05/20/06 17:09 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far this has been the best truck I have ever had. I have the inline 5 and it has more than enough power. Great for work or play. Wouldn't buy anything else. Great truck!!!

Engine trouble in GMC Cannon
By tccagle on 04/10/06 18:53 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new 2005 GMC Cannon to use as a work truck. I bought a very basic model without any extras. I have been so disappointed. Within the last year I have had the truck in the shop over 10 times. They have never found out the problem wiht the engine. I have been through several meeting and I am happy to say that GMC is repurchasing my truck. I have missed so many days from work taking care if this matter, but it is finally over.

Love it
By countryhonk on 02/13/06 22:04 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love it. My last truck was a Toyota Taco 4cyl 4x4. My new Canyon 5 cyl has twice the horsepower and 2mpg better than the anemic Toyota. This truck is loaded with more gizmos than I need. My enthusiasum may be do in part by the ten thousand dollars I saved with the "employee discount for everyone" I paid 18000 w/tax and the window sticker was 26935 Even so this is a very nice truck and the G80 locking rear diff is what makes it happen for me. I have read that people say the straight 5 lacks power? Nonsense! Maybe if you put it in a heavy hummer, anyways this motor gives me better mpgs w/auto than my manual Toyota 4cyl. This truck smokes the tires ! Get a little higher in revs to make it work

Canyon-Great Truck for the Money
By Tom N on 02/10/06 23:30 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The GMC Canyon is a great looking, very functional truck, particularly for medium duty use (truck is rated 1300 lb. payload, 4000 lb towing capacity). Interior is very clean looking, straightforward and functional with easy controls. Great ride, and 5 cyl is a good compromise between power and economy (21 mpg on last tankful, averaging just over 20 mpg). Seats could be more supportive but are not uncomfortable. Extended cab gives good inside storage capacity, but would not recommend it for passengers on long trips. If you need room for more than 2 passengers, go with the crew cab instead. Got a great deal on this truck on the fly 4WD, duraliner and tonneau for 22K

Canyon z71 crew 4x4
By CrazyEyez on 02/04/06 16:03 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I just got the truck in October already has 4110 miles on it and I got it with 88 miles on it. Fuel mileage really stunk at first, but as with other owners I’ve talked to, it’s getting better as it breaks in some more. The ride is pretty good, though it is stiff being that mine is the 4x4 z-71. Handling is pretty good for a truck. The inline-5 motor has plenty of power, but it lacks in a good strong sound. The engine, though more powerful then the old 4.3L v-6, doesn’t sound as powerful as the v-6. I drove a 4.3L powered 2000 Blazer 4x4 4door, and I am missing that extra 25lb-ft of torque that the 4.3L has over the inline-5. And though I haven’t had a chance to, 4wd seems pretty strong.

Nice Little Truck
By Phil on 01/26/06 03:53 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Overall, a good light-duty truck and I am happy with it. Fuel ecomony is about what the EPA said it would be (23MPG Hwy / 19MPG City). Fun to drive and the I-5 engine with the 3.42 rear end is peppy enough for everyday driving, but the cruise downshifts if you are climbing any significant grade at all - and rather abruptly! Cruise set on 65MPH will indicate 1750 RPM. No mechanical problems so far (6300 mi). I ordered it with leather seats & most of the available toys. No squeaks or rattles and the body is very tight. A good little truck for today's high gas prices!