2005 GMC Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
Great little truck!
By bill on 05/05/09 09:26 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my GMC Canyon used with 20k on it in early 2009. It is a well built and quality truck in my opinion. It has the 3.5 and automatic trans. and gets an average of 25-26 mpg. Very pleased with the truck and features and would recommend it to anyone who wants a smaller economical truck. I looked at Ford and the imports, and this GM truck is as good and maybe better and glad I bought it.

Best Truck I have ever owned!!
By Devastator_454 on 04/18/09 20:25 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had no intention of trying to improve this vehicle when I first bought it. But after driving it for the first 2mths I was curious about what else I could do to improve its performance and make it more fun to drive. Just adding a K&N intake to it, the results were undeniable. Since then I have added a Magnaflow exhaust system, changed the 3.42 to 4.10 and added belltech anti-sway bars to name a few. This truck is now Super Awesome. It is the best 4cyl truck out there. Not even import cars with modifications can beat it. One day I plan to drop a larger engine in it. Then I will really be kicken!!

Nice Truck
By Cris on 03/04/09 08:51 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck, my first "new" vehicle, for my 50th birthday and BA degree graduation present. It's been great. I did have a squeak in the radio but there was a kit that the dealer put on for me (rubber molding around the unit) that got rid of it. Great running, only in the shop for a recall once. I do get the oil changed as recommended, which helps on vehicle longevity. I did notice molding around rear tires now coming loose so that's a problem. Otherwise impressed and a nice ride (my carpooler said the heated leather seats help his back more than his chiropractor!)

Engine /electrical problems
By marc on 10/23/08 11:06 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase it was noted to have bad water leakage on the passager side under the dash that shorted out the OnStar system and caused the computer to error. Problem was found to be a bad lead seam over the windshield. Computer error causes one of the cylinders to runs rich, crack in exhaust manifold, now getting only 11 mpg. Remote failure also, attempted to open the door with key and found that the tumblers in the door and back gate had been missed keyed. Lots of problems with remote entry system and electrical connectors under vehicle rusting loss of plate lights and other exterior lights. Vehicle only 18 month old and GM providing little help.

Frustrated with Canyon
By Kristen on 10/14/08 17:07 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! What frustration with this truck. I love the looks of it and wanted it to be the best. However, it's been to the shop at least 10 times. At 25,000 the engine and head went bad so they put a new one in. Luckily it was under warranty. Now, at 65,000 miles the head is bad again! Within 25,000 miles, the brakes and tires needed replaced. Like others I've noticed the air conditioning system is not good and doesn't cool very well. In addition, my CD player is broke. I've done every suggested GM service at the mileage marks to keep it in top shape but it didn't work. I'm in the process of looking for a new truck and contacting GM. Very dissappointing!

Stone
By Pete Stone on 08/07/08 06:08 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.

Good All-Around Truck
By Dan on 07/22/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I traded a 2002 Blazer for my '05 Canyon. The Canyon has great mileage for a 4x4 truck; interstate travel is about 24mpg, 19mpg around town. My 3.5L I-5 does great for fuel but compromises in towing. Pennsylvania winters are no problem, it does great in a lake effect snow storm! At 76,000 I haven't had any major work outside of normal wear and tear. I drive the truck everyday and it fits my lifestyle great, including many outdoor activities. I try to not use it like a work truck. I still get compliments at the gas pump! Speaking for the crew cab, I would highly recommend this truck

Overall a good truck but has some issues
By John on 03/20/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is a great medium sized truck but there are the usual GM fit and finish issues. The turning radius is ridiculous and cause many parking lot problems. The radio is probably the worst piece of junk I have found in any vehicle.The radio is an easy fix with aftermarket units. The turning radius is not curable. Experienced a few rattles, could be tighter.

Love it so far
By Jason on 12/21/07 21:22 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have owned my Canyon for a month now and this being my first truck I love it! It has plenty of power and the look is great, only thing I have any sort of problem with is the rear seat is a little shallow but I don't sit there so no biggie. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants a small truck that has good gas mileage and lots of HP.

Good But.
By Jason on 12/05/06 15:02 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

For a midsize pickup I have no great complaints. It is great for a light load, and has a slightly larger look to it than the previous S-10. With 30,000 miles on it, I have had no problems.