2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
Great truck !
By mr bill on 11/24/09 07:49 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 used in 2009 after the lease ran out. It is a great tight well handly truck and I have had no problems with it. It gets a consistant 26 mpg with 3.5 and auto transmission. As I said I bought it used, but it still is in great shape and I am very pleased and would recomend it to anyone wanting this size truck.

Great little truck
By Bill R on 05/25/09 17:35 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with only 20,00 on it. It was taken care of and the truck is a great little truck. With the 3.5 and auto trans I get a consistent 26 mpg. I have no complaints as it is a tight, well built truck. For a compact/mid size truck, it's great! It is also American built! I looked at other brands, and the GMC is as good as any other truck.

Great little truck!
By bill on 05/05/09 09:26 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my GMC Canyon used with 20k on it in early 2009. It is a well built and quality truck in my opinion. It has the 3.5 and automatic trans. and gets an average of 25-26 mpg. Very pleased with the truck and features and would recommend it to anyone who wants a smaller economical truck. I looked at Ford and the imports, and this GM truck is as good and maybe better and glad I bought it.

Major Problems
By Stauch on 11/14/06 17:26 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is probably the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. I traded in a 2001 Dakota to try and improve on the amount of money I spend weekly for gas. I do quite a bit of driving due to my work, plus I have to be able to carry material with me out to distant job sites. My first 3 months the truck was in the shop 7 times. I called the GM hotline to no avail. All of the problems had stemmed from when the truck was built. Windsheild wiper transmission mounts welded in wrong place, causing wipers to dig through plastic, gouge windshield, and finally stripping, all during a major storm, which is what my job is all about. Defective wiring, fried CPU. Dead on the side of the road again

Great truck
By Goden on 06/22/06 08:55 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've used this truck for hauling and as a daily driver. Great little truck, very smooth 5 speed, comfortable for a bench seat.

GMC Rules
By Truck Man on 05/20/06 17:09 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far this has been the best truck I have ever had. I have the inline 5 and it has more than enough power. Great for work or play. Wouldn't buy anything else. Great truck!!!

Engine trouble in GMC Cannon
By tccagle on 04/10/06 18:53 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new 2005 GMC Cannon to use as a work truck. I bought a very basic model without any extras. I have been so disappointed. Within the last year I have had the truck in the shop over 10 times. They have never found out the problem wiht the engine. I have been through several meeting and I am happy to say that GMC is repurchasing my truck. I have missed so many days from work taking care if this matter, but it is finally over.

Love it
By countryhonk on 02/13/06 22:04 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love it. My last truck was a Toyota Taco 4cyl 4x4. My new Canyon 5 cyl has twice the horsepower and 2mpg better than the anemic Toyota. This truck is loaded with more gizmos than I need. My enthusiasum may be do in part by the ten thousand dollars I saved with the "employee discount for everyone" I paid 18000 w/tax and the window sticker was 26935 Even so this is a very nice truck and the G80 locking rear diff is what makes it happen for me. I have read that people say the straight 5 lacks power? Nonsense! Maybe if you put it in a heavy hummer, anyways this motor gives me better mpgs w/auto than my manual Toyota 4cyl. This truck smokes the tires ! Get a little higher in revs to make it work

Canyon a Great ride
By Greg on 12/30/05 22:32 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 6th compact truck and by far the best. My last was a Japanese brand- mistake. Interior convenience is so much better and the seat material so much more durable. I have a low end version with 4 cyl and auto, the power is suprising and I still get 16 mpg around town.

Only have 1100 on it
By Daniel on 08/21/05 00:29 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just picked this up, first one on the lot. I've only 1100 miles, but drove like a dream up in Yosimite and is very comfortable for my 40 minute commute, even with the standard cab. I am disapointed with the gas mileage, I am averaging 20.9mpg with an automatic, mostly freeway driving without AC. Seems very low to me. I was getting 20.2 mpg with my V8 Silverado. I bought this one, hoping to get an improvment over that. Over all, a very enjoyable compact pickup for only $13k. (AC, Cruise, standard cab)