2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
Sweet 5 Cylinder-GMC Pickup Truck
By angelballs on 02/09/14 08:55 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Bought my truck new in October 2004, This sweet 5 cylinder pickup has served me well on long 1100 mile runs from Florida to Maryland and back as well as 5 and 6 mile trips to buy heavy materials such as sod and mulch, as well as lumber from big box stores. The paint quality is exceptional and day after day in Florida sunshine it is still beautiful after all these years. A dream to drive, it still stirs my soul when I see it sitting in solemn eloquence.

Still going strong
By sullylang on 08/04/12 05:18 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Coming up on 8 years owning this truck. It still runs great, drives great, very reliable, and good efficiency (18mpg city / 22 mpg hwy). Gas mileage was better with regular hwy tires. Dick Cepek FC-II tires took about 1 mpg off the fuel economy. Just did 120k service on vehicle. I wrecked my brakes, but they would have needed rotors and drums at 120k either way. Only issue that's odd is the rough, or low idle from a dirty throttle body. Very simple to clean, and now runs perfect again. Very satisfied with this truck. The experts have their blinders on when giving it poor performance ratings. Power is great and it tows very well.

Great Truck
By Matt on 05/05/10 09:38 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Great truck for doing things you need to do, without the gas of a full size. Great family car to take to the beach, worth every bit of money.

Long term review
By Andy L. on 01/09/10 15:18 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in Oct 2004. My review from Jan 06 remains true. This truck has been outstanding. The fit and finish on the interior is fine, the exterior has held up perfectly. It is very well powered, and a pleasure to drive. Does great in Michigan winters. Even better with new Dick Cepek FC-II tires. I've hauled many loads of wood, pulled a small boat, traveled with family of five and never been let down. The only two issues have been the theft deterance went out (minor), and the drivers window regulater died ($300) I have 86k miles and plan to put on many more.

Love It
By Zach on 09/07/09 21:32 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

This truck can do a quarter of a miles in 13.267(average) I love it it burns out fast and the the I5 has 246 hp and its perfect i would love to get the 5.3 v8 but i got it for a great price.

Best Truck I have ever owned!!
By Devastator_454 on 04/18/09 20:25 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had no intention of trying to improve this vehicle when I first bought it. But after driving it for the first 2mths I was curious about what else I could do to improve its performance and make it more fun to drive. Just adding a K&N intake to it, the results were undeniable. Since then I have added a Magnaflow exhaust system, changed the 3.42 to 4.10 and added belltech anti-sway bars to name a few. This truck is now Super Awesome. It is the best 4cyl truck out there. Not even import cars with modifications can beat it. One day I plan to drop a larger engine in it. Then I will really be kicken!!

Nice Truck
By Cris on 03/04/09 08:51 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck, my first "new" vehicle, for my 50th birthday and BA degree graduation present. It's been great. I did have a squeak in the radio but there was a kit that the dealer put on for me (rubber molding around the unit) that got rid of it. Great running, only in the shop for a recall once. I do get the oil changed as recommended, which helps on vehicle longevity. I did notice molding around rear tires now coming loose so that's a problem. Otherwise impressed and a nice ride (my carpooler said the heated leather seats help his back more than his chiropractor!)

Engine /electrical problems
By marc on 10/23/08 11:06 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase it was noted to have bad water leakage on the passager side under the dash that shorted out the OnStar system and caused the computer to error. Problem was found to be a bad lead seam over the windshield. Computer error causes one of the cylinders to runs rich, crack in exhaust manifold, now getting only 11 mpg. Remote failure also, attempted to open the door with key and found that the tumblers in the door and back gate had been missed keyed. Lots of problems with remote entry system and electrical connectors under vehicle rusting loss of plate lights and other exterior lights. Vehicle only 18 month old and GM providing little help.

Frustrated with Canyon
By Kristen on 10/14/08 17:07 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! What frustration with this truck. I love the looks of it and wanted it to be the best. However, it's been to the shop at least 10 times. At 25,000 the engine and head went bad so they put a new one in. Luckily it was under warranty. Now, at 65,000 miles the head is bad again! Within 25,000 miles, the brakes and tires needed replaced. Like others I've noticed the air conditioning system is not good and doesn't cool very well. In addition, my CD player is broke. I've done every suggested GM service at the mileage marks to keep it in top shape but it didn't work. I'm in the process of looking for a new truck and contacting GM. Very dissappointing!

Stone
By Pete Stone on 08/07/08 06:08 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.