2005 GMC Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
Still going strong
By sullylang on 08/04/12 05:18 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Coming up on 8 years owning this truck. It still runs great, drives great, very reliable, and good efficiency (18mpg city / 22 mpg hwy). Gas mileage was better with regular hwy tires. Dick Cepek FC-II tires took about 1 mpg off the fuel economy. Just did 120k service on vehicle. I wrecked my brakes, but they would have needed rotors and drums at 120k either way. Only issue that's odd is the rough, or low idle from a dirty throttle body. Very simple to clean, and now runs perfect again. Very satisfied with this truck. The experts have their blinders on when giving it poor performance ratings. Power is great and it tows very well.

Great Truck
By Matt on 05/05/10 09:38 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Great truck for doing things you need to do, without the gas of a full size. Great family car to take to the beach, worth every bit of money.

Stone
By Pete Stone on 08/07/08 06:08 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.

Love it so far
By Jason on 12/21/07 21:22 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have owned my Canyon for a month now and this being my first truck I love it! It has plenty of power and the look is great, only thing I have any sort of problem with is the rear seat is a little shallow but I don't sit there so no biggie. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants a small truck that has good gas mileage and lots of HP.

Nice Little Truck
By Phil on 01/26/06 03:53 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Overall, a good light-duty truck and I am happy with it. Fuel ecomony is about what the EPA said it would be (23MPG Hwy / 19MPG City). Fun to drive and the I-5 engine with the 3.42 rear end is peppy enough for everyday driving, but the cruise downshifts if you are climbing any significant grade at all - and rather abruptly! Cruise set on 65MPH will indicate 1750 RPM. No mechanical problems so far (6300 mi). I ordered it with leather seats & most of the available toys. No squeaks or rattles and the body is very tight. A good little truck for today's high gas prices!

Perfect small truck
By Andy on 01/05/06 19:59 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have taken this truck across the US twice going from Florida, to Maine, back to Florida, and then to Michigan. I've gotten as much as 24 MPG at 75 MPH with 5 people, and luggage. I hauled a 3000lb trailer from Florida to Michigan with no problems, and got 17 MPG while doing it. No problems on climbing steep hills in Tennesee, or with braking. I love this truck. It is perfectly powered for a small truck. It has also performed excellant during the Michigan winter with it's traction control, even in my steep driveway with snow.

Downsize with a Reason
By Joe on 08/02/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I traded a Dodge 2500 4x4 in for my new 2005 GMC Canyon. I traded because of the high gas prices. What I got was a truck that suits all my needs in every way. First off, this truck is stylish and tough looking. The Z71 package with the offroad suspension has me ready for any adventure I want to tackle. This truck is a great fit.

GMC Canyon Underrated!
By RT on 06/20/05 19:36 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

My 2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab (with all the goodies) has been a superb performer: reliable, comfortable, and substantial. Fit and trim are good on the upgraded version with leather seats, etc. (not excellent, but good). The Canyon offers a sun /moonroof which is a must for me, an on-going convertible owner in California. I've owned Fords for the last twenty+ years (including F-150 & Rangers) and I remain a Ford fan. However, this GMC Canyon is encroaching on that favored status. The low-speed torque is lacking somewhat in this 3.5l truck. But, to me it's not big deal. The auto transmission is smooth, as is the 5-cyl. engine. The DRLs are a great safety feature.

Charming Canyon
By Edwin Feliu on 01/03/05 09:06 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

This truck drives like any of the best Japanese SUVs, roars smoothly like a classic muscle car, the off road package gives you commanding visibility and a smooth ride that lures you for more driving, and the fuel economy is about 19-20 MPH if you stay in the highway. On wet pavement it is a steady stead. GMC successfully created the ideal SUV-truck hybrid: tough like a truck, yet spacious and comfortable like the best SUV. I am very impressed and pleased with the package and final invoice.This vehicle definitely and permanently changed my previous skeptical opinion and dislike for trucks in general.Thank you, GMC engineers, for this remarkable and extraordinary vehicular achievement.