Used 2005 GMC Canyon Z71 SLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Still going strong
By sullylang

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Coming up on 8 years owning this truck. It still runs great, drives great, very reliable, and good efficiency (18mpg city / 22 mpg hwy). Gas mileage was better with regular hwy tires. Dick Cepek FC-II tires took about 1 mpg off the fuel economy. Just did 120k service on vehicle. I wrecked my brakes, but they would have needed rotors and drums at 120k either way. Only issue that's odd is the rough, or low idle from a dirty throttle body. Very simple to clean, and now runs perfect again. Very satisfied with this truck. The experts have their blinders on when giving it poor performance ratings. Power is great and it tows very well.

Fuel efficient drivetrain. Comfortable seating for a large person. I'm 6'2" tall and have to pull seat forward a couple inches. Controls are all easy to reach and manipulate. Great acceleration and handling.

Turbo diesel option in the USA like the one they have in Asia. 3.5L 4 cyl turbo diesel with 350 ft/lbs of torque. A small truck with some full size truck torque.

Great Truck
By Matt

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Great truck for doing things you need to do, without the gas of a full size. Great family car to take to the beach, worth every bit of money.

The 3.5 5 cyl it has 246 hp. a lot better pick up than the 4 cyl .

Make the back a little bit bigger for the second row.

Stone
By Pete Stone

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.

I like the traction control, the smooth ride and handling on and off road. I like the CD player, XM radio, and the OnStar. My favorite feature is the looks of the truck with the Off Road package.

Could use better material on the seats. I will get leather next time. I don't like the General tires, I prefer Goodyear or Bridgestone.

Love it so far
By Jason

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have owned my Canyon for a month now and this being my first truck I love it! It has plenty of power and the look is great, only thing I have any sort of problem with is the rear seat is a little shallow but I don't sit there so no biggie. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants a small truck that has good gas mileage and lots of HP.

Overall looks, power and options

Could use rear disc brakes and a deeper rear seat

Nice Little Truck
By Phil

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Overall, a good light-duty truck and I am happy with it. Fuel ecomony is about what the EPA said it would be (23MPG Hwy / 19MPG City). Fun to drive and the I-5 engine with the 3.42 rear end is peppy enough for everyday driving, but the cruise downshifts if you are climbing any significant grade at all - and rather abruptly! Cruise set on 65MPH will indicate 1750 RPM. No mechanical problems so far (6300 mi). I ordered it with leather seats & most of the available toys. No squeaks or rattles and the body is very tight. A good little truck for today's high gas prices!

Body styling, fuel economy, interior quietness. I love the engine MPG and performance. Fun to drive, gauges and controls are straight-forward and no- nonsense. Crew cab will easily hold 4 adults, but forget about 3 adults in the back seat. AC is very good - even in 110 deg heat.

I ordered the best leather seats available and they are uncomfortable at best - no lateral support. The lumbar adjustment is useless. Center console is small and cheap-looking. I'd give the Canyon a "10" rating if GM would do a better job on the seats and center console!!