2005 GMC Canyon Z71 SLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Canyon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Sort Reviews by

Still going strong
By sullylang

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Coming up on 8 years owning this truck. It still runs great, drives great, very reliable, and good efficiency (18mpg city / 22 mpg hwy). Gas mileage was better with regular hwy tires. Dick Cepek FC-II tires took about 1 mpg off the fuel economy. Just did 120k service on vehicle. I wrecked my brakes, but they would have needed rotors and drums at 120k either way. Only issue that's odd is the rough, or low idle from a dirty throttle body. Very simple to clean, and now runs perfect again. Very satisfied with this truck. The experts have their blinders on when giving it poor performance ratings. Power is great and it tows very well.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficient drivetrain. Comfortable seating for a large person. I'm 6'2" tall and have to pull seat forward a couple inches. Controls are all easy to reach and manipulate. Great acceleration and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo diesel option in the USA like the one they have in Asia. 3.5L 4 cyl turbo diesel with 350 ft/lbs of torque. A small truck with some full size truck torque.

Great Truck
By Matt

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Great truck for doing things you need to do, without the gas of a full size. Great family car to take to the beach, worth every bit of money.

Favorite Features

The 3.5 5 cyl it has 246 hp. a lot better pick up than the 4 cyl .

Suggested Improvements

Make the back a little bit bigger for the second row.

Stone
By Pete Stone

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.

Favorite Features

I like the traction control, the smooth ride and handling on and off road. I like the CD player, XM radio, and the OnStar. My favorite feature is the looks of the truck with the Off Road package.

Suggested Improvements

Could use better material on the seats. I will get leather next time. I don't like the General tires, I prefer Goodyear or Bridgestone.

Love it so far
By Jason

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have owned my Canyon for a month now and this being my first truck I love it! It has plenty of power and the look is great, only thing I have any sort of problem with is the rear seat is a little shallow but I don't sit there so no biggie. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants a small truck that has good gas mileage and lots of HP.

Favorite Features

Overall looks, power and options

Suggested Improvements

Could use rear disc brakes and a deeper rear seat

Nice Little Truck
By Phil

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Overall, a good light-duty truck and I am happy with it. Fuel ecomony is about what the EPA said it would be (23MPG Hwy / 19MPG City). Fun to drive and the I-5 engine with the 3.42 rear end is peppy enough for everyday driving, but the cruise downshifts if you are climbing any significant grade at all - and rather abruptly! Cruise set on 65MPH will indicate 1750 RPM. No mechanical problems so far (6300 mi). I ordered it with leather seats & most of the available toys. No squeaks or rattles and the body is very tight. A good little truck for today's high gas prices!

Favorite Features

Body styling, fuel economy, interior quietness. I love the engine MPG and performance. Fun to drive, gauges and controls are straight-forward and no- nonsense. Crew cab will easily hold 4 adults, but forget about 3 adults in the back seat. AC is very good - even in 110 deg heat.

Suggested Improvements

I ordered the best leather seats available and they are uncomfortable at best - no lateral support. The lumbar adjustment is useless. Center console is small and cheap-looking. I'd give the Canyon a "10" rating if GM would do a better job on the seats and center console!!

Perfect small truck
By Andy

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have taken this truck across the US twice going from Florida, to Maine, back to Florida, and then to Michigan. I've gotten as much as 24 MPG at 75 MPH with 5 people, and luggage. I hauled a 3000lb trailer from Florida to Michigan with no problems, and got 17 MPG while doing it. No problems on climbing steep hills in Tennesee, or with braking. I love this truck. It is perfectly powered for a small truck. It has also performed excellant during the Michigan winter with it's traction control, even in my steep driveway with snow.

Favorite Features

Smooth powerful engine with good fuel economy. Nice ride, especially on highway.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade towing capacity to 5000lbs. Make a standard cab with an 8 ft bed. Design one with a small turbo diesel for even better power, and towing capability.

Downsize with a Reason
By Joe

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I traded a Dodge 2500 4x4 in for my new 2005 GMC Canyon. I traded because of the high gas prices. What I got was a truck that suits all my needs in every way. First off, this truck is stylish and tough looking. The Z71 package with the offroad suspension has me ready for any adventure I want to tackle. This truck is a great fit.

Favorite Features

Strong off road styling, throttle response, and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

An Ipod interface

GMC Canyon Underrated!
By RT

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

My 2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab (with all the goodies) has been a superb performer: reliable, comfortable, and substantial. Fit and trim are good on the upgraded version with leather seats, etc. (not excellent, but good). The Canyon offers a sun /moonroof which is a must for me, an on-going convertible owner in California. I've owned Fords for the last twenty+ years (including F-150 & Rangers) and I remain a Ford fan. However, this GMC Canyon is encroaching on that favored status. The low-speed torque is lacking somewhat in this 3.5l truck. But, to me it's not big deal. The auto transmission is smooth, as is the 5-cyl. engine. The DRLs are a great safety feature.

Favorite Features

Leather seats. XM radio. Sun/moonroof. Side air bags. Seat room in the crew cab. Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Gussy up the interior--though the upgraded interior with leather seats in the Crew Cab version is fairly decent.

Charming Canyon
By Edwin Feliu

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

This truck drives like any of the best Japanese SUVs, roars smoothly like a classic muscle car, the off road package gives you commanding visibility and a smooth ride that lures you for more driving, and the fuel economy is about 19-20 MPH if you stay in the highway. On wet pavement it is a steady stead. GMC successfully created the ideal SUV-truck hybrid: tough like a truck, yet spacious and comfortable like the best SUV. I am very impressed and pleased with the package and final invoice.This vehicle definitely and permanently changed my previous skeptical opinion and dislike for trucks in general.Thank you, GMC engineers, for this remarkable and extraordinary vehicular achievement.

Favorite Features

Off-road package, smooth and steady maneurability, soothing stereo acoustics, basking along in commanding visibility with a nice blend of power, comfort and nice overall styling.

Suggested Improvements

Enhance interior trimming styling, rear headrests not so high in order to improve potential blind spots.Cargo cover with easier access and on-off capabilities.