Used 2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Gmc Canyon - Consumer Reviews

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab
By stan

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This truck has been dependable. I had to replace a speaker that blown. I have a check engine light that has been on for months, the mechanic said it was something minor an 02 sensor. Braking is excellent but when I stop suddenly it sounds as if it's metal to metal.

Favorite Features

Bed size is large. I like the styling of the vehicle. It has a very quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

My passenger side door does not have a keyhole so I have to unlock it from the inside. Very inconvient. I do not have pw or pdl. Put a center console in it. I'd like for it to get better than 21 MPG.

Owned lots of vehicles, this one is best
By A.P.

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my vehicle since 2004, it is black, 4WD, and extended cab feature. Previously owned the Sonoma, and this truck is a big improvement. I added these features to the truck: 1.) sprayed in bedliner. 2.) alarm system, remote engine start. It has given me no trouble whatsoever, and has stood by my through thick and thin. Gas mileage is very good, has the slant 5 engine, gets 18 miles to gallon in city.

Favorite Features

Cloth seats very comfortable, radio displays the song artists and titles, nice comfortable ride, plenty of room in front passenger seating. Searched dealer inventory at time of sale and only thing I wasn't able to get that had on previous vehicle was heated rear view mirrors. Have dealt with that.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see making the extended cab seating more comfortable, would like the glove box to be lockable.

GMC Canyon 2004
By CentPADon

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my GMC Canyon for two and a half years now. I've found it to be a very reliable vehicle, with great distinctive styling that sets it apart from other offerings. When we take this vehicle on a trip, we average about 24mpg. I opted for the five cylinder, and I haven't regretted it a bit. It has a lot of torque. Hauling with a bed full over heavy items is effortless. I get many, many compliments on the exterior styling and what a sharp looking truck it is.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature has to be the distinctive exterior styling. While other brands have gone the bland route, this truck sets itself apart. Another thing I like is the torquey engine that really steps off the line quickly when needed. All this in a truck the average working man can afford to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest a little better quality interior components. I'd like to see every manufacturer put the high beam indicator where you can see it with the wheel tilted! They could have left the cup holders out. They are nothing but dirt collectors. I have no use for them.

Still satisfied after 2.5 yrs.
By Don in PA

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I remain very satisfied with my GMC. I especially like the distinctive styling that sets it apart from all other trucks currently offered. I receive compliments on a regular basis. Most people assume it is 4-wheel drive with the off road stance. It's been 100% reliable throughout, with more than ample power for everyday driving. Driving with a full load in the bed is effortless. Driving on a rough country road is very smooth and controlled. I like this truck, and would buy another.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature has to be the unique chiseled styling that is very different from all other trucks. It turns heads, and never blends in to the backround. Additionally, I like the tailgate feature that allows you to latch it "halfway" to support lumber, etc.

Suggested Improvements

I would pay more attention to interior detail. Forget the cup holders, they are dirt collectors, and nobody drinks (eats or smokes) in my truck! An adjustable lumbar support would be nice on the passenger side also. The high beam indicator needs to be where you can see it with the wheel tilted!

Not that great
By p burke

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This truck was in the service center for lots of little things. The problem was, I use the truck for work and and it would stay in dealership 2 days. I owned it one and half years it was in for 9 services. Check engine light, head light assembly fogging up, power window stop working, side molding falling off, rough idle, air bag sensors on. But I will say, when it ran, it ran good. It was reliabilty issues that drove me to Toyota. I put trucks to the test I visit 15 homes every day. A new truck should last a least a year without problems.

Favorite Features

Looks. Stereo. Bed size

Suggested Improvements

The 4x4 button on dash is only a little dot and your only indicator to let you know you're in 4 wheel drive. Tires were awful. Hood needs to be shored up. Seats are uncomfortable. Update the dash