2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab
By stan on 01/22/10 10:48 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This truck has been dependable. I had to replace a speaker that blown. I have a check engine light that has been on for months, the mechanic said it was something minor an 02 sensor. Braking is excellent but when I stop suddenly it sounds as if it's metal to metal.

Owned lots of vehicles, this one is best
By A.P. on 07/27/08 21:44 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my vehicle since 2004, it is black, 4WD, and extended cab feature. Previously owned the Sonoma, and this truck is a big improvement. I added these features to the truck: 1.) sprayed in bedliner. 2.) alarm system, remote engine start. It has given me no trouble whatsoever, and has stood by my through thick and thin. Gas mileage is very good, has the slant 5 engine, gets 18 miles to gallon in city.

GMC Canyon 2004
By CentPADon on 02/10/07 14:52 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my GMC Canyon for two and a half years now. I've found it to be a very reliable vehicle, with great distinctive styling that sets it apart from other offerings. When we take this vehicle on a trip, we average about 24mpg. I opted for the five cylinder, and I haven't regretted it a bit. It has a lot of torque. Hauling with a bed full over heavy items is effortless. I get many, many compliments on the exterior styling and what a sharp looking truck it is.

Still satisfied after 2.5 yrs.
By Don in PA on 01/28/07 14:10 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I remain very satisfied with my GMC. I especially like the distinctive styling that sets it apart from all other trucks currently offered. I receive compliments on a regular basis. Most people assume it is 4-wheel drive with the off road stance. It's been 100% reliable throughout, with more than ample power for everyday driving. Driving with a full load in the bed is effortless. Driving on a rough country road is very smooth and controlled. I like this truck, and would buy another.

Not that great
By p burke on 10/21/06 06:02 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This truck was in the service center for lots of little things. The problem was, I use the truck for work and and it would stay in dealership 2 days. I owned it one and half years it was in for 9 services. Check engine light, head light assembly fogging up, power window stop working, side molding falling off, rough idle, air bag sensors on. But I will say, when it ran, it ran good. It was reliabilty issues that drove me to Toyota. I put trucks to the test I visit 15 homes every day. A new truck should last a least a year without problems.

Fun and good gas mileage
By Jim Salern on 12/17/05 17:58 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

General Motors should have made this truck ten years ago and scrap the Sonoma. This truck rides quiet and smooth. The steering is tight. The gas mileage is good. Since I got my truck, other people I know have bought on e too. I love the 5 cylinder engine. Although car magazines rate the new Tacoma and the Hondas new pick-up truck a higher rating, I'll probably buy another Canyon when this one gets old.

My Review
By Blake on 12/17/05 08:28 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

A good truck, American made and used for light hauling, presonal use only. I receive compliments on this vehicle. I have the off road, not beeing used off road.

Could be Better
By Greg on 09/30/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Yes, you get what you pay for - many features for lower than competition prices. Materials, fit & finish are poor. 4-cyl + 5 spd manual gives me a 25 mpg avg. Not much power w/ a/c & 500 lb load in back. 5 spd manual has been hard shifting into 2nd gear (dealer says "normal"?). Main (major) problem so far is driver side doors (ext cab) have constant water leak. At the dealer right now for the 3rd time having entire interior removed and carpet replaced + new weatherstripping replaced on both doors. If they can finally get this fixed I would consider the truck acceptable at an average rating. There are better small trucks out there but you would pay more money.

Minor Problems...
By carolyn2112 on 08/10/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this one straight from the factory. I am a little disapointed in the quality. I have had the passenger door speaker blow out three times on me, as well as the parking brake handle come off and the hood latch break. No major system troubles, but the minor ones still sent it back to the dealer!

Canyon Extended Cab Z71 W/3.5l 5Cyl
By AC on 01/10/05 12:40 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Canyon for several months now. Overall I'd give it a 9. Size is just right. Comfort is excellent (Front buckets). It is great for tooling around the city, and country roads alike. Suspension is very good. 4wd also very good. Bottom end grunt is lacking, but it's nowhere near underpowered (5cyl). Interior simple and clean, even if the plastic isn't as good as materials used in other vehicles. No mechanical problems at all. Payload rating is adequate. I agree it could be higher, but anything heavier would be pushing you around pretty good given the Canyon's relatively lower weight. It's a very good truck when you think reasonably.