2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2004 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:
I got the lemon
By jcanyon on 07/05/07 22:23 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Initially, I loved this thing! Over some time, I realized that many small things would add up to make me hate it! The plastic molding is of poor quality, the rear seat cup holder has broken 3 times. Brake light recall sent me to the shop twice. Front turn signal wiring harness only works when bumped in just the right way. Gauges poorly located behind steering wheel. Musty air conditioner. Rear cloth seats that no one sits in have torn in the seams. Rear seats squeak constantly. Rear seats very uncomfortable when used. Computer acts up intermitently - alarm sounds when truck unlocks! Worst is that it is the same exact truck as the Isuzu I-370! Is it a GM or Isuzu?

Great Truck
By Jeff on 11/28/06 12:03 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '04 Canyon used with 10k miles and now I have over 40k. It has great fuel economy and power. The only problem I've had is the passenger side heated seat was not working. But it's all fixed now and I couldn't have asked for a better truck!

04 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4wd
By dwnszer on 01/28/06 14:13 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty much what I expected. Had only one problem. Front end was aligned wrong which caused premature wear of the front tires at 17500 miles. Dealer replaced tires and realligned quickly. I have the crew cab with four wheel drive. Works good in our snow filled winters. Rides very smoothly gas mileage not as good as I had hoped.

GMC Canyon review
By wvu_matt on 01/13/06 13:12 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Handling is tight and responsive. I was hesitant with the 15" wheels. I have towed cargo trailers with no problem or lack of power. The 5 cyl is great on gas without losing much power. Only problem was the valve springs. These were replaced around 10k miles. Evidently there was a service bulletin but no official recall. If you lose power at highway speeds--have them check valve springs (I think they fixed that on the newer models). Overall, I would buy it again. Great looking (I have black on black offroad package) and plenty of interior room with crew-cab.

Excellent Pick!
By prpljett on 06/05/05 01:53 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I shopped around through many dealerships and test drove all the pickups available and this one suited my needs. I got a good deal and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. This is a gorgeous truck!

Canyon performance
By Ron on 04/02/05 15:02 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I am very satisfied with the overall performance. it was not designed to be a rocket. I have no complaints with the power, and I can pull a loaded utility trailer with firewood weighing about 300 lbs. with no problems. The interior could use a bit of dazzle, as it is quite plain. Rear disc brakes would be better. The exteior is as classy as any small truck on the market. I have had many compliments on the design.

GMC Canyon is a nice truck
By Greg on 02/26/05 18:45 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

At first, the GMC Canyon's interior was hard to adapt to; the plastic materials left much to be desired. After a while, however, I adapted and began to appreciate the plastics. They are actually quite rugged. My truck has the I5, XM, 6CD, Auto-dimming/compass mirror, and power heated leather seats. All are very enjoyable. The seats are comfortable for the longest of trips, and the vehicle handles very well and has a TON of power for only having five cylinders. It is very much more powerful than its S-series predecessors, and I can confirm first hand that the truck can pull WAY more than it is rated -- the truck can pull over 7,500 pounds practically effortlessly. Trust me.

A month of interstates and mountains
By Tom on 02/24/05 18:36 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've found the Canyon 3.5 liter excellent for fast interstate and slower, steep mountain driving. The two stage 4wd has also been very good on snow. The OEM tires, however, have limited "stickiness" in spite of their "all season" rating.

Great truck
By Karen Newberry on 01/11/05 20:42 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I love driving this truck. It rides like a Yukon, only better. I never would drive a truck and fell in love with this one. Only problem we have is my husband hits his elbows on the split console sometimes. I have no problems with it at all!

What's not to like about the new Canyon?
By greg_mgoblue on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Ordered in Nov. 2003 and it finally arrived in March 2004 but worth the wait. Trading down from an 02 Sierra that ran flawlessly for 95,000 miles in 2 years was a tough decision but with fuel over 2 bucks a gallon and 3 fill- ups a week something had to change. The choice was made easier when I saw pics of the new truck. WOW! 21 MPG with the I-5, plenty of power, holds speed on the mountains here in Northern "Kaaalifornia" (California for the rest of the you)