Used 2004 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 GMC Canyon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Great first car
By Cory Sykes

2004 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z71 SL 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It is a very good truck. Very dependable and good on gas for a truck. The only complaint is the driver side door speaker has blown out. other than that it is a very enjoyable truck that surprisingly hasn't gotten stuck in any areas.

the slant five engine is gas efficient and it drives smooth and quietly.

A keyhole in the passenger door would make this truck close to perfect.

2004 GMC Canyon Extended Cab
By stan

2004 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This truck has been dependable. I had to replace a speaker that blown. I have a check engine light that has been on for months, the mechanic said it was something minor an 02 sensor. Braking is excellent but when I stop suddenly it sounds as if it's metal to metal.

Bed size is large. I like the styling of the vehicle. It has a very quiet ride.

My passenger side door does not have a keyhole so I have to unlock it from the inside. Very inconvient. I do not have pw or pdl. Put a center console in it. I'd like for it to get better than 21 MPG.

Owned lots of vehicles, this one is best
By A.P.

2004 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my vehicle since 2004, it is black, 4WD, and extended cab feature. Previously owned the Sonoma, and this truck is a big improvement. I added these features to the truck: 1.) sprayed in bedliner. 2.) alarm system, remote engine start. It has given me no trouble whatsoever, and has stood by my through thick and thin. Gas mileage is very good, has the slant 5 engine, gets 18 miles to gallon in city.

Cloth seats very comfortable, radio displays the song artists and titles, nice comfortable ride, plenty of room in front passenger seating. Searched dealer inventory at time of sale and only thing I wasn't able to get that had on previous vehicle was heated rear view mirrors. Have dealt with that.

Would like to see making the extended cab seating more comfortable, would like the glove box to be lockable.

I got the lemon
By jcanyon

2004 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Initially, I loved this thing! Over some time, I realized that many small things would add up to make me hate it! The plastic molding is of poor quality, the rear seat cup holder has broken 3 times. Brake light recall sent me to the shop twice. Front turn signal wiring harness only works when bumped in just the right way. Gauges poorly located behind steering wheel. Musty air conditioner. Rear cloth seats that no one sits in have torn in the seams. Rear seats squeak constantly. Rear seats very uncomfortable when used. Computer acts up intermitently - alarm sounds when truck unlocks! Worst is that it is the same exact truck as the Isuzu I-370! Is it a GM or Isuzu?

Like the 4 door / short bed. Very versatile truck.

Maintain overall GMC quality that I have come to expect with excellent success with all my past GMCs.

GMC Canyon 2004
By CentPADon

2004 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my GMC Canyon for two and a half years now. I've found it to be a very reliable vehicle, with great distinctive styling that sets it apart from other offerings. When we take this vehicle on a trip, we average about 24mpg. I opted for the five cylinder, and I haven't regretted it a bit. It has a lot of torque. Hauling with a bed full over heavy items is effortless. I get many, many compliments on the exterior styling and what a sharp looking truck it is.

My favorite feature has to be the distinctive exterior styling. While other brands have gone the bland route, this truck sets itself apart. Another thing I like is the torquey engine that really steps off the line quickly when needed. All this in a truck the average working man can afford to drive.

I would suggest a little better quality interior components. I'd like to see every manufacturer put the high beam indicator where you can see it with the wheel tilted! They could have left the cup holders out. They are nothing but dirt collectors. I have no use for them.