2014 GMC Acadia SLE-1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Gmc Acadia - Consumer Reviews

2014 Acadia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

Sort Reviews by

Dealer has had our car longer than we have
By mmww328

2014 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our car and we decided to take ownership even though the ground effects were installed wrong and the blind spot and FCA system were not working. Big mistake - the car is still not working right. Also I would have expected a bit more giddy up and go.... it's kind of a dog when it comes to off the line performance.

Favorite Features

Looks tough - comfortable ride (once you get going).

Suggested Improvements

GMC needs to step up there features and standard offerings. Foreign cars offer many more options than the Denali version does. Also the touch screen is hard to use and too sensitive. Finally a little pride in craftsmanship would be nice. Things were not installed right on our car (i.e., rubber trim on the luggage rack not secured down, the hose for the sunroof leaks into the passenger side of the car, the ground effects were installed wrong).

Nice but buggy
By soutex

2014 GMC Acadia SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First off I like everything about this car. Ok, well not everything. I have owned it for 10 days and on day 3 it was back to the dealer to get a massive oil leak fixed. Cheap Chinese oil filter housing cracked and allowed oil to leak past the filter seal. The remote start works maybe 50% of the time. The gas gauge wanders from 1/8 tank to just under 1/2 full which causes the distance to empty to wander from 50 to 120 miles. The driver's seat moves back for easy exit even though I turned that feature off. Now, my main gripe is I am only getting 13.8 mpg in town. I have been driving this car like an old lady and I can not improve on that number after two tanks of gas.

Favorite Features

Air conditioned seats, power lift rear hatch, Intellilink stereo, lane change warning system and cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Smooth out the clunky transmission. For a luxury SUV the transmission is an embarrassment. During a 90 degree turn my wife thought the transmission failed when it shifted with a "thud." Add sun glass holder in the over head console. Add tritium paint to the garage door opener buttons so they can be seen in the dark. Make mud flaps standard equipment. The body behind the front wheels curves enough to expose a lot of tire tread which throws tar/highway goo up the side of the car.

Nicest Car I've Ever Had!
By tjdr47

2014 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I picked up my 2014 Acadia Denali a little over a month ago and have put approximately 800 miles on it so far. It is the quietest car I've ever driven as well as the most comfortable and luxurious. It has some great safety features that most newer cars have available now like blind spot monitoring and a back-up camera. My last car was eight years old, so this is all new to me. When it was less than a week old, I took a 280-mile round-trip and got about 22 mpg on regular gas. My last SUV barely squeezed-out 16 on premium fuel on a trip.

Favorite Features

Quietness, ride, comfort, safety and technology features.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of so far.

Pleasure Ride
By drivetrain1

2014 GMC Acadia SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Only have had my new Acadia for less than a month but have thoroughly enjoyed the ride! Smooth ride but wish it would come in rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive. The jury is still out on the mileage however I only have less that 1,000 miles on it but for city driving I am averaging about 16-17 mpg. Exterior design is better than the ugly Terrain. Why can't whitewall tires be an option? It really adds some style. Black wall tires tend to make vehicle look bland and cheap. The same is true about pin striping. I added pin striping and WOW what a difference. I remember when cars came with pin striping and whitewalls.

Favorite Features

Great interior design. GM finally designed the dash/air outlets like they should be-large vents that are pointed straight out instead of every other direction. Luv the auto climate control. Driver's side gets plenty of air flow-unlike that of my previous 2012 Chevy Equinox where the steering wheel blocked the air flow. Handsome instrumentation/dash cluster and is very classy at night when it is lighted up with the ambient lighting. My Acadia is the SLT2 and has second-row captains chair which makes it very easy to access the third row. HUGE CARGO AREA when seats are folded down. The remote rear cargo hatch has come in useful many times already. The dual sun/moon roof design is good.

Suggested Improvements

Rear a/c seems to take a bit longer to cool. Took it in for service & was working to specs. Was told the heat exchanger for the rear a/c is a bit smaller than the front however with the air from front outlets helps with overall cooling down of cabin. Texas heat can be fierce! Second row seating a bit low but comfy. Put gear shift back on the column!! Too much storage space wasted from middle console. Don't know why all the auto makers are doing this! My knuckles tend to knock my drink on console when I shift.

Great vehicle with a few minor shortcomings
By kentbob

2014 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall a very nice vehicle which meets my needs. Great interior space, and comfortable ride. I prefer a truck-based 4-wheel drive SUV, but couldn't find one that provided as much versatility and space in the mid-sized category, so I opted for the Acadia.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride. Loaded with features. Love the heads-up display, the radio and navigation system, steering wheel controls, blue tooth, voice commands for radio tuning. Seats are comfortable and have heated and cooling features. Options are too many too list.

Suggested Improvements

Not happy with fuel efficiency. I'm getting 16-17 mpg with mixed city/highway driving. Was hoping/expecting to get closer to 19-20 mpg. Headlights have auto-on feature, but cannot confirm that headlights are actually on, especially at dusk or during rainy conditions during the daylight, as I have not found any indicator light on the dashboard. Second row captains chairs are nice, but they sit a little low (not a problem for kids, but low for adults) and they hardly recline at all. Would be nice if the second row seats reclined .

Good for what it is....
By coty75

2014 GMC Acadia SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First, good luck at actually finding anything but a base SLE1 model if you actually need an 8 passenger AWD vehicle. The dealer searched and there were no SLE2, SLT's, or Denali AWD 8 passengers (or Buick Enclave's) within 500 miles on dealer lots and nothing in the production queue without having to wait for a special order (at much less of a discount). But after driving a 7 passenger Denali, we are glad we just took a base SLE as there really isn't that much to justify the 14k difference in price and huge difference in residual value. The problem is with the premium trims like Denali, there's really not that much 'Luxury' to justify the price difference.

Favorite Features

The ride is controlled. Not sporty or jarring but not too soft. The space behind the rear seat is more than most rivals when all of the seats are up. We didn't want to go full size SUV so we looked at the Honda Pilot and new Toyota Highlander since they are the only 8 passenger competition that offers AWD (the Toyota Sienna 8 passenger Van is only offered in FWD). Both have virtually no space behind the 3rd row and getting to that 3rd row is not as easy as the Acadia. The noise level is not quite as low as Buick (which wasn't that great either) but tolerable.

Suggested Improvements

GM really needs to step up the 'Luxury' on these models if they are going to keep promoting the Denali and Enclave as luxury competitors. There is no front parking assist, roll up sunshades for back seat passengers, key-less entry and start, a more modern 8-speed transmission with better fuel economy, thinner seat backs to give 2nd row passengers more legroom, a simple sun glass holder somewhere, and better carpet materials. An GM eAssist feature (like on the Buick Lacrosse) for better MPG would be nice as well as a simple hill descent control on AWD models for going down icy or snow covered hills. The higher HP version engine from the Cadillac SRX would be nice for the Denali.

Acadia, Durango, or just go with the Sienna?
By meandmy3boyd

2014 GMC Acadia SLE-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

With our 3rd boy on the way we had to move on from our 2 row Endeavor. Having studied Consumer Reports extensively and done some somewhat recreational test drives of numerous other vehicles I narrowed our search to the Durango, Acadia, and Sienna. Our priorities that ruled out others such as the Highlander, CX-9, and Explorer were: we had to have captain chairs in the back, good reliability, regular fuel, enough space in the back for kid stuff, MPG better than 18, power lift gate, black/dark intirrior, and good safety features.

Favorite Features

Honestly we ended up choosing the Acadia because GMC gave us the best deal (lease). I had succumb to getting a mini van thinking it would be cheaper but... I was pleasently suprized. I even found the the 2 wheel drive acadia was the cheapest to insure as well. Big factors uniquelly in favor of the acadia: able to fit 3 people on the back seat, front wheel drive (safety), features (power lift gate, heated seats, back up camera, on star, remorte start) all for 31grand. Style may have had something to do with it... It is a good look'n car. Since we have had it I love how quiet it is, it drives very well for its size, and the infotainment system is good.

Suggested Improvements

My issues with the car have to do with the things we did not get becasue we didn't get the SLT so take this for what it's worth. For example the stock sterio is pathetic, the missing crome accents in the front along with the plastic rear view mirriors, and the less cool 18' rims really urk me but... it's not an SLT. Two real complaints: after having the car for 3weeks the transmission went out.. yep, wouldn't shift into drive... this comes later in the review because GMC could not have taken care of us better. I did research and found nothing on the web about this... so... crap happens and things worked out great (we are 3months in now). Lastly, the seats could be more comfortable.

2014 GMC Denali
By mf89117

2014 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased in November 2014 and added a few extras. So far I am very happy with the vehicle with a few minor exceptions listed below.

Favorite Features

Comfort is the best. Also like the "heads up" information on the windshield, instrument layout, captain second row seats, roomy, and sense of feeling safe. Oh, it is nice to have a key start and the sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

I would like a light in the glove box, lit numbers on the garage door openers, rear wiper that will fold out, programmable lift on rear gate. Maybe a few more horses and an eight speed tranny.

Disappointing Purchase!
By daisymae142

2014 GMC Acadia SLE-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my 2007 GMC Envoy for a 2014 Acadia. I am disappointed that the vehicle does not drive nearly as well as the Envoy.It is jerky in response. Also, there is no memory seat function for the power seats, which, in my case, is a major aggravation since more than one person drives my car. And, there is no light in the glove box. You would think that a car that cost this much would have these features. I think I want my Envoy back!

Favorite Features

console space is well designed

Suggested Improvements

needs memory function for power seats;needs a light in glove compartment; xm radio features need to be less confusing to program