2012 GMC Acadia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:
Jeckyl and Hyde
By bwilling on 04/05/13 12:41 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Decent ride, a bit underpowered but MPG ok. Very comfortable and tons of room even with three kids in the back. Seats take awhile to heat up. Big problem is with carbon monoxide. This vehicle sets off alarms in our house when started in the garage ( garage door open of course). Service dept is like a human rain delay in trying to get it fixed. Fot the 55k spent on top of the line we had many other choices, cant imagine them being any worse. When not thinking about the CO it rides nice.

Not for the snow
By danbruin on 01/26/13 22:41 PM (PST)

2012 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this SUV as a family hauler. We live in the Pacific Northwest so AWD is great for the rain. Problem is that the Denali mode does not allow for snow chains...ever. This was never told to us at the dealership and now we feel pretty stupid for not asking up front but it did not occur to us. Don't know if models with smaller rims might accommodate chains but don't upgrade to the Denali model is you want to spend any time in the snow.

Pleased that GM Has Come Back Strong...
By riogp on 12/30/12 21:18 PM (PST)

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When I was a kid we had Packards ( Ask the man who owns one ) ...after that we drove Chevys & Cadillacs. In the 80's we switched to German iron since all the US auto makers fell flat on quality. My 2012 Acadia has revised my opinion of American quality. A very sophisticated work of engineering...very much on a par with the German product, as well as the Japanese...and at a more realistic purchase price ...and very much more reasonable service charges. The Acadia handles very precisely for such a large outfit. Mixed driving 20. 8 mpg. on the AWD version. I am very impressed.

2012 Acadia SLT 1, AWD
By lltautomobile on 12/20/12 11:14 AM (PST)

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've now put 9,000 miles on the car after driving it for 9 months. Its performance is adequate, but can seem sluggish if you really need to accelerate quickly. MPG is below advertised at 19 highway and 15-17 in town. I do have the AWD so perhaps this is why. However my parents have the FWD version and they get 17-18/20-21 mpg which is also below advertised. My SLT 1 has heated front seats, but the passenger seat can only move front and back with manual lumbar support- it is obviously inferior to the driver seat, so if you plan on spending any time in the passenger seat, look to upgrade it.

Many great features, just one that's worrying me
By megant on 09/30/12 00:28 AM (PDT)

2012 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased out Acadia in June of this year. I'd had a Honda Pilot for 5 years, and while I really liked it, I wanted bucket seats in the second row and third row seating that was more easily accessible and was comfortable for adults-basically a minivan interior for seating without looking like a "mom-mobile" on the outside. The Acadia met these goals very nicely. We've put a lot of miles on it with our 9 year old son and it's been a very comfy ride. It's a beautiful vehicle, but the engine worries me. It can really hesitate when speeding up from a dead stop or slow speed-scary. It also isn't nearly as smooth in acceleration as my Honda was-a bit sluggish. A+ on everything but the engine-C.

Transmission/Acceleration issues
By tdenny on 08/29/12 21:22 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Size, features, extras all were a perfect match for me and my family. We have 2 kids, now entering grade school, so the extra seat for carpool and their stuff was great, yet the car drives more like a minivan than a large SUV. Unfortunately, I've had the car for 3 months, the transmission seems to slip and jerk constantly and now, the most scary part - while accelerating from stop, the car sometimes takes 5 seconds to engage. This is 5 seconds for another car to T-Bone you in an intersection. My good wife dealt with it for several months, I experienced it myself this last week. Working with the dealer to return now.

Not bad at all
By vakmere on 08/25/12 22:34 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Nice exterior design. Good ride, I like the auto lift gate and great storage in the rear. Hard plastic interior is a little bit of a bummer and scratches easily however the layout of the dash and other accessories are good. Quiet ride on asphalt and road noise on concrete (typical). Absorbs the road imperfections very well. There is a small storage compartment on the dash, I dont get that one. You need an inspection mirror to see down in there to find the USB and I-Pod jack. Kind of useless IMO. Mileage is around 18mpg, typical for 5500 lbs of vehicle. Engine is not too noisy either. Radio in the rear console does get pretty warm, unusual for something solid state.

Happy With My Purchase !!!
By pattisdgal on 08/07/12 16:34 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Had a 2001 Dodge Durango which I loved. After 12 years it was time for a new SUV. I test drove the Traverse, VeraCruz, Durango, and the Durango. As soon as I sat in the GMC, I was sold. The ride is comfortable, it handles great and has lots of room.

Acadias are the BEST!
By jholmes46219 on 08/04/12 08:01 AM (PDT)

2012 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I recently traded my 2009 Acadia SLT2 with over 120,000 miles for a new 2012 Denali. I only traded the '09 because of the number of miles and the attractive trade deal available. I loved the old one and like the new one even better. The mileage has averaged in the 18-19 mpg range overall. I have hauled as much as 1,000 lbs and only felt a small amount of rear sway. My only real complaint is that front headlights can only be accessec through the front wheel wells. This is the best all around vehicle I have owned!

Surprised so far
By 1sttimegmc on 07/16/12 08:08 AM (PDT)

2012 GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have driven Japanese vehicles for the last 15 years, we have a 2010 pilot right now as the wife's car, and they have all been stellar. I have been admiring the Acadia for some time. We really like the way that it drives and looks. The build quality seems on pr with the Hondas, the material quality is a step below the pilot. We like the smooth ride and quietness of it. The pilot is louder by far. The space is also very nice. We have had it one month and 1500 miles, so time will tell on the reliability front. The only real gripe I have so far is the transmission behaves oddly in 6th gear at a light cruise. Most other 6 speed AT s I have driven seem to have some quirks as well.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 GMC Acadia in VA is:

$112 per month*