2011 GMC Acadia SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Gmc Acadia - Consumer Reviews

2011 Acadia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

Sort Reviews by

Love it!!
By jodi0725

2011 GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We got a new Acadia in March 2011, after a car accident totaled my Equinox. Test drove the Traverse and Acadia and liked the Acadia much more. It drives so smoothly and we love the back up camera. We got the 2 bucket seats in the second row, which is great with 2 small girls. My only complaints are: sun reflection off the air vents and console can be blinding and the windshield wipers located on the same lever as the turn signals take some getting used to. I still turn on my wipers when trying to turn on my signal, and vice versa.

Favorite Features

Handles great, good amount cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Put the turn signal and wiper blades separately

$48000 car that does not have a compass
By buckeye42

2011 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Did not find out until after puchase that you can not get a compass on your Denali if you have the Bose entertainment system and the rear entertainment dvd player. Seems kind of cheap of GM to go high end on car but low end on every day useful items.

Favorite Features

Exterior is very sharp. Too bad the interior is so cheap!!

Suggested Improvements

Add a compass to the outside heat gauge package.

Fun to drive
By benedicttb

2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Acadia for a month and find it fun to drive. The engine has lots of power and excellent pick up. I have 2500 miles on it and found that after 2000 miles the town milage is about 17. It was lower 14 for the first 1000 miles. On the road I got about 23. I have an all wheel drive one, and I suppose the 2 wheel drive model would do better. The sound system is great, and I will continue with xm radio. The seats are very comfortable. I got the one with 2 bucket seats in the second row which causes less friction on who sits in front. I like the size since I can carry a lot more than I could in 4 runner or the jeep my brother has. When you use the phone the fan stops.

Favorite Features

The performance and handling. It handles great for a big vehicle with pleanty of pick up. The two other favorite features are the sound system and the comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Floor mats. The floor mats are cheep. I replaced them with rubber once that look better and will last longer.

Acadia Denali
By ltdjr

2011 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have 6 weeks experience with the Acadia Denali FWD. Overall the ride is quiet and comfortable. There have been no mechanical issues. The six cylinder engine provides adequate power, but not high perforance by any account. The gas milage is quite disappointing so far. I probably would not have made this purchase if I knew how bad the milage would be. Combined driving is 15-16mpg. Dealer says it will get better after 5,000 mi? I doubt that highly. I have seen 20 mpg only on long highway trips. The Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon gets this kind of milage in a substantial SUV as opposed to this disguised minivan.

Favorite Features

The blue tooth phone works great. Very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Disappointing MPG. Cheap plastic dashboard and faux wood not on par with competition. Expect more, at least in the Denali line.

Pure Luxury
By john178

2011 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the Acadia Denali on 01/27/11, with AWD. We traded in a 2008 Buick Enclave for this crossover. We had our minds set on another Enclave since we liked this car so much, but when my wife drove the red Denali, the deal was sealed. The Denali takes this car to another level. The attention to detail inside the car, along with the looks are superb. We needed something large to transport our kids and grandkids on vacations, visits etc. Small subtle differences we liked included the top crossbars that can be used to tie down Christmas trees, beach chairs, luggage- you name it. The Buick Enclave has these crossbars for looks only- they are not functional.

Favorite Features

AWD has especially been nice with the winter weather we continue to have in Ohio. The navigation system is user friendly and beneficial. Cargo space is awesome. The red lit gauges and Denali front door lit nameplates are classy. The HUD display is useful and convenient. The ride is so comfortable and the interior is top of the line.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic switch is needed to operate the back cover for the back seat sun roof, instead of manual control.

Nice crossover that smokes on cold starts
By skpa

2011 GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 2011 in 11/10 Acadia after much research of crossovers. Were leaning to the Pilot, but the ride and styling of the Acadia are a step above. After purchase, noticed blue and black smoke emission on cold starts for 30-45seconds. First thought was car was passing oil. Brought car to dealer. Dealer did not see any abnormal emissions. Met with GM DSM to review smoke issue. He observed cold start smoke on my Acadia. Started three new Acadias, all emitted blue and black smoke. DSM was puzzled. GM quality manager in Detroit explained fuel is pulsed to cat convrtr to accelerate heat up to prevent emissions. Condition on 10 and 11's. GM needs to eliminate smoke on cold start.

Suggested Improvements

Cold start smoke emission issue needs to be communicated to dealers and to customers. GM claims this condition that appears so abnormal is by design to meet EPA standards. GM needs to find a better way to heat up the catalytic converter vs having the car blow blue and black smoke on the 10 and 11 models. For the money paid for this car, I am very unhappy this condition was not communicated to the dealer and to me upfront. Puzzling why this normal condition is not explained in the owners manual. Have numerous videos of blue and black smoke emissions. If not corrected by GM, I'll be returning to Toyota.

THOROUGH REVIEW
By patrick1982

2011 GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Owned an 05 Honda Pilot AWD EX before this one. Test drove the new pilot, traverse, acadia, enclave, 4runner, highlander, cx9. The Acadia out-performed all these. Great interior space, great features if you like the additional XM radio and ONstar services. No lag on the throttle... immediate response, steady cornering and level steering. Superb traction control system; disengages acceleration when slipping on ice or when lack of traction, stops engine RPM shootups. ABS system works great. It does weigh nearly 7,000 lbs so braking is a bit more noticable at higher speeds (nose dive). After 5,000+ miles I am averaging 16.3mpg / city and 20.2mpg hwy cruising at 70-75mph...23 or 24mpg as stated??? yeah right! Overall safety specs are sufficient; airbags all around, great framework. well thought out interior heating and cooling system, is loud enough to overpower a bluetooth phonecall when turned all the way up. remote start, auto liftgate great features except when parked too close to something. bad side depth perception on back up cam. low road noise, good stock tires (goodyear fortera comfort tread); bad for rain, snow and ice... will hydroplane or loose traction at 45mph+ on standing water. upgrade tires to fortera triple tread (my opinion). steering wheel controls are oddly placed. front wipers on left stick, rear wipers on center console below a/c system controls, why? volume and radio controls in a good consolidated location on steering wheel. good location for cruise control buttons. three locations for liftgate operations (key, on liftgate, and next to rear wipers.. why?) auto dimming rear view mirror great, black lower trim around Acadia difficult to clean need special cleaner from autoparts store. a little above average accessory selection, great audio even without BOSE, radio buttons can be confusing, double vanity lighted shades, dual exhaust great feature. battery location inconvenient (center of car between 2nd row captain seats), deep lubricated slide rails for 2nd row captain seats, much debris can be lodged or stuck in there, not good. inside material "plastic" poor choice of material, easily scuffed, marked up and just unsightly. Maintenance costs are average for this type of vehicle. Great interior storage capacity (glovebox, center console armrest area and rear liftgate area.

Favorite Features

Remote start, auto dimming rearview mirror, auto-liftgate, interior storage

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of plastic interior molding...unsightly, easily marked or scuffed, and non acoustic.

An SUV that's actually fun to drive!
By Mike

2011 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We're new to this vehicle but have owned plenty of prior high end SUVs and this Acadia Denali is one incredible vehicle! Our last vehicle was a 2007 Yukon Denali that we also loved but it's amazing how far GM has come in just 4 years. All the bells and whistles and this thing drives like a car. Great engine in that V6 too with plenty of power and pulls all the way to our 70 MPH speed limits with ease.

Favorite Features

Wood grain (but not too much), interior styling is nice, good power, great amenities.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof doesn't open all the way (by design). Wish it would open to expose the entire cutout.

Pleasant Surprise
By John Montefusco

2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The quiet ride comfort and body fits were a surprise. I expected quiet and comfort but it was better than expected. This vehicle compares favorably with past new car purchases which include, Cadillac and Jaguar.

Favorite Features

Ease of entry to rear, and abundance of standard features.

Suggested Improvements

Thinner windshield post.

2011 Acadia
By Fenderman

2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Great car overall. I wasn't planning on getting the 'Diamond Tri-Coat White', i.e. pearl, color, but glad that is what I wound up with. I have gotten several compliments on the color, it really looks good in the sun. The leather seats are wonderful, but the headrest is driving me crazy. It is tilted forward to help with crash stability, but it's hard trying to get comfortable. The sliver around the cup holder can be distracting in the bright sun. Good room for the family, will probably get an after market rear console and maybe running boards for the kids, GM seems pretty proud of those accessories list price.

Favorite Features

Cut-above leather seats. Backup camera in mirror, folding seats to get to third row. Auto climate control works great. Overall looks. Upgraded paint draws rave reviews from strangers.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the head rest, it is impossible to find a comfortable position. Transmission seems to search for the right gear once in a while. 1200 miles in, and still getting sub-16 MPG in daily commute driving suburban and interstate.