Used 2009 GMC Acadia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Gmc Acadia - Consumer Reviews

2009 GMC Acadia SUV

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

Good & bad points
By chickaroo

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, while I like many of the practical, daily-use aspects of the Acadia, which is why I ended up buying this car (see fave features below), the mechanical unreliability would probably cause me not to buy a GMC again. I was hoping American car manufacturers had figured out the quality-thing. In the past, we've owned several Toyotas & Hondas and, while I'm "all American", next time I'll go back to the more reliable brands.

Favorite Features

Focused on practical usage stuff: Love the power liftback! Won't ever buy another SUV without one! Hate having to put my whole body weight into closing the liftgate on my husband's 4-Runner! Love the hidden storage compartment in the cargo space. Have all my car essentials (jumper cables, 1st aid kit, tool box, tire inflator, tow hitch) out of the way & not taking up precious space in main compartment. Large cargo space with 3rd row seats folded, still decent with them up-better than most other SUV's. Interior storage is quite good-roomy console, compartments in doors, good size glove box. Good cup holders. Back-up assist (3-beep warning) is very useful, even more than rearview camera

Suggested Improvements

Not the greatest on reliability-been in the shop 7 times in 6 yrs for multiple repairs & recalls at a time. Have had to replace 5 of the 6 ignition coils when 4-5 yrs old! Obvious design flaw! At $400 a pop, good thing we bought an extended warranty! Original tires were annoyingly noisy-much happier when replaced them. Seats could be more comfortable-nice contour but too firm (but that's "leather" for you). Bit of a rough ride-not bumpy so much, but sways side to side. You feel the slightest nudge of the wheel a lot, especially in the back seat. Auto control AC doesn't work well-only way to have fan on low is to turn AC temp up too warm.

Waste of my money
By wilsonmom

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle with 30,000 miles 2 1/2 years ago with all of my savings. I wanted a vehicle that was sturdy, built well and going to last me at least 4 years. Now, 2 1/2 yrs later the transmission is blown, it needs a timing belt (which requires dropping the engine), rack and pinion needs replacing, both rear control arms are bad, and the catalytic converter is bad. This is besides the 10 other times its been into the dealer or repair shop in the 2 1/2 years for other problems. Now this vehicle is worth nothing for trade in and I have no choice but to pay over $6,000 in repairs. I spent $28,000 on this car, for what?!?! Two years of nothing but trouble. Never again GMC

Favorite Features

Body design. That's it

Suggested Improvements

GMC needs to recall the transmission. Also the rack and pinion. These are obvious reoccurring problems. Design a care that the engine does not have to be removed to change a timing belt for gods sake.

2009 GMC Acadia FIRE
By njustman

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

One month ago I took my 2009 GMC Acadia to the dealer because I noticed a smell and steam coming from it. They did some minor repairs and wanted me to bring it back in a few days for more work as they spotted a small oil leak but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The next day after driving the vehicle 20 miles when I put it into park there was smoke coming through the vents. It quickly went from what appeared to be overheating, although no warning lights ever came on, to a full fire! I was able to get my children and sister out of the vehicle. I called 911 and fire responders put the fire out. Thankfully no one was injured.

Suggested Improvements

Working with GMC has been a nightmare. All we have wanted was consideration on a new vehicle. We were actually considering buying a new Acadia because we liked the vehicle. What a mess. I do not believe GMC care about their customer at all.

Review of 2009 Acadia @ 75k
By dgin

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We're the 2nd owners of this car; we picked it up at around 63k. In the last 1.5 years, we've definitely had a few things go wrong with it that were out of the norm. 1) Ignition coils 3 & 3 went bad and had to be replaced along with corresponding spark plugs. 2) 2 of the 3 seat belt housings in the 2nd row seats broke. Seat belt mechanism still worked though. 3) Rough idle due some minor sludging; this was remedied with a good fuel injector cleaning and oil change. 4) Catalytic converter kicked back a low performance code and was subsequently replaced. Good thing we bought it from to include an extended warranty which covered it all. Sad, but we really like the car otherwise.

Favorite Features

Comfortable and easy to drive. The 2nd row bench has plenty of adjustment options. The 3rd row has suitable even for adults. It drives better than the Toyota Highlander that we were also considering.

Suggested Improvements

GMC really needs to take a strong look at the build quality issues. We also have a 2007 Yukon XL that we bought new and never experienced problems like this. Also, the headrests are just stupidly designed; they're so canted far forward that it's impossible to sit in a fully upright position.

Time to Sell...Maybe???
By joemerchant47

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have an '09 Acadia,well pleased.Had only one problem-rattle in A pillar.Dealer replaced trim-fixed.Headlight recall.No big deal.Bulletin/recall notifying possible stretching of timing chain.Took car in to reset computer for more frequent oil changes.I change more often than recommended anyway.Talked to mechanic,he hadn't gotten one back in yet for repair but said engine had to come out to replace chain.Power train warranty increased by GM to 100K.Here's my problem.We don't travel much.My car is just about to turn 26K miles so by the time any major problem occurs my warranty will have run out.Is it time to sell this car which is now in excellent condition?

Favorite Features

Roomy, comfortable, quiet, powerful. Seven seater with plenty of room behind third row.