2009 GMC Acadia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:
2009 GMC Acadia FIRE
By njustman on 08/24/13 05:28 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

One month ago I took my 2009 GMC Acadia to the dealer because I noticed a smell and steam coming from it. They did some minor repairs and wanted me to bring it back in a few days for more work as they spotted a small oil leak but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The next day after driving the vehicle 20 miles when I put it into park there was smoke coming through the vents. It quickly went from what appeared to be overheating, although no warning lights ever came on, to a full fire! I was able to get my children and sister out of the vehicle. I called 911 and fire responders put the fire out. Thankfully no one was injured.

Review of 2009 Acadia @ 75k
By dgin on 05/03/13 20:29 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We're the 2nd owners of this car; we picked it up at around 63k. In the last 1.5 years, we've definitely had a few things go wrong with it that were out of the norm. 1) Ignition coils 3 & 3 went bad and had to be replaced along with corresponding spark plugs. 2) 2 of the 3 seat belt housings in the 2nd row seats broke. Seat belt mechanism still worked though. 3) Rough idle due some minor sludging; this was remedied with a good fuel injector cleaning and oil change. 4) Catalytic converter kicked back a low performance code and was subsequently replaced. Good thing we bought it from to include an extended warranty which covered it all. Sad, but we really like the car otherwise.

Time to Sell...Maybe???
By joemerchant47 on 01/08/13 07:04 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have an '09 Acadia,well pleased.Had only one problem-rattle in A pillar.Dealer replaced trim-fixed.Headlight recall.No big deal.Bulletin/recall notifying possible stretching of timing chain.Took car in to reset computer for more frequent oil changes.I change more often than recommended anyway.Talked to mechanic,he hadn't gotten one back in yet for repair but said engine had to come out to replace chain.Power train warranty increased by GM to 100K.Here's my problem.We don't travel much.My car is just about to turn 26K miles so by the time any major problem occurs my warranty will have run out.Is it time to sell this car which is now in excellent condition?

Don't waste your time or money
By motherof3nj on 12/16/12 14:21 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We are a family of 5 and my husband I wanted to purchase a vehicle that was not a minivan. With this in mind we looked for vehicles that had the 2nd row captain chairs and were in our price range. After searching we set our hearts on the Acadia. Sadly two days after purchasing the low tire pressure signal kept coming on. We had to return to the dealer for a spark plug to be replaced. However, when my husband picked up the car the next day all things went down hill. He left the dealership and the the car stalled. We were told that there was a problem with the transmission. Four weeks later and they were still repairing the transmission. Thats when we returned the car. So disappointed!!

Stay away!
By see1 on 11/15/12 18:24 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car 3 years ago because of the comfort of the 3rd row seat and cargo space. We have had numerous electrical issues, seat belts and tire sensor issues and replacement of the rack and pinion steering. We paid $400 to have the headlight replaced! Within the last month we have had to replace 3 engine mounts that ROTTED (car is kept in a garage but mechanic says this happens to "all" cars!). 2 weeks after that the transmission failed. We bought this car because it was big enough for our family. Now we don't even feel it's safe enough to put our family in. The steering wheel squeaks everytime you turn the wheel and the dash board shakes at high speeds. Awful!!

2009 acadia in cab air filter
By karen105 on 11/15/12 09:28 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Never have had such a bad experance before! Purchased this used SUV this last July from Gilbert Ford in Moscow, Id. Drove this car home and when I got on a country road, which is gravel the air conditioning started blowing dirt into the cabin. There is NO in cab air filter!!! Thus the whole enviorment, durt, allergens and fumes are taken into the cab with you. Complained to dealer and at this time still do NOT have a filter in place. After sale service is horrible at the above dealership. If your thinking of buying an Acadia older than a 2012 make sure there is an in cab filter if you want to be able to breath.

Stay Away - It's Time for a Class Action Suit
By lynnlove62 on 11/05/12 07:15 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Acadia new in 2009. Within the first month, Tire pressure sensor was bad, Service engine soon light came on twice, had to replace Rack inpinion within the first year, Water pump went out, traction control/antilock break/stabilitrack system sensors have been replaced/reset/you name it, numerous times and still is not fixed, head lights went out and they tired to charge me over $400 for the repair which i refused, received a recall for the headlights exactly one month later, vehicle rolls back when in gear if i'm on an incline (drastic roll back), seatbelts had a sensor problem twice, airbags had a sensor problem twice, and i'm out of space for the rest..............

A 3 year old car should not have these problems!
By nhkathyc on 08/28/12 06:54 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

That is what I was told by three different mechanics ... "A 3 year old car with 58K miles should not have these problems" My car failed the state inspection this year because it was leaking power steering fluid. The mechanic told me this but then asked me to come out so he could show me more concerns. In addition to the power steering fluid leak there were 3 oil leaks. 1 from the crank case and 1 from the transfer case that were especially concerning to him. Also, my A/C is not working right & my car had begun to overheat that day and I had to keep pulling over to let it cool down just to make it to the mechanic. He told me to get it right into the dealership. I did & left a LOT poorer!

GMC Acadia 2009
By taram1 on 07/17/12 18:46 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I just posted a review about my first suv now this is after I traded that in for a year older model to see if it was better because I just love it. Sadly I found my self so disappointed. At 55,000 something miles the battery kept going dead. I took it to a mechanic and he performed a full checkup and found the alternator went bad. I couldn't believe it...it was happening again. Inw just so torn because I really love this car. I knew even if I fixed the 800.00 repair on top of my car payment...later it would happen again. Today I left GMC and sold my car to a Volvo dealer and now have an XC90. I'll post on this experience as well in time. Please GMC keep gm here in the USA and not China

I love my Acadia!
By ashrae9504 on 06/14/12 14:59 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have never had a single problem with my GMC 09 Acadia. I bought my brand new with 9 miles on it in December of 08. Has gotten me everywhere across the midwest with all my trips. It's pretty good on gas mileage for a SUV. The only problem I have had to take it to a GMC dealership to get fixed is the 2 recalls which they fixed and paid me, and leaks in my tires which set off my tire system sensor. But i work in a construction field so therefor the slow leaks were due to a nail in my tires. And oh yeah the other thing was to reset my sensor for Air bags. But I have never had anything fixed and I have had this vehicle for 3-1/2 years brand new. Love this vehicle!!!!!!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 GMC Acadia Suv in WA is:

$148 per month*