Used 2008 GMC Acadia SLT-2 SUV Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Acadia SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 GMC Acadia SUV

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

GMC Acadia
By Stephanie Holliday

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I won't lie my GMC Acadia has had some issues, however with that said I still love my car. After numerous calls to GM they took care of it the issues and in one instance made the dealer come out of pocket. I know a lot of people don't like going to the dealer but I've been to the dealer for everything and in the end it paid off a few times with loyalty that GM recognized and even stood up to show they did.

STAY AWAY FROM GMC ACADIA!!!!
By Erin Amerson

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car has been nothing but headaches since we've owned it. I bought my 2008 GMC Acadia from a GM dealership as a used vehicle with 50,000 miles on it. Less than one year later all hell breaks loose. During a rain storm while driving, water started pouring into the interior through the seatbelts, airbags and sunroof. The next morning, all of the computers in the car went crazy and the car wouldn't turn on. Had it towed to the dealership, and come to find out there is a water leak issue due to faulty drain tubes in the sunroof. Although a recall for some vehicles, my vehicle's VIN was not included in that recall, even though it was the SAME PROBLEM. Called GM, that was a joke. They said there was nothing they could do and basically that it wasn't their problem. $1500 later and the leaks are supposedly fixed and so I drive away with my smelly car. A few months later, the engine started running hot. Brought the car back to the dealership and apparently there was an issue with the transmission. Another $500 dropped. The mechanic also informed us of a leak into the master cylinder which he then told us was a common problem he had seen with the Acadia. He said it didn't need to be repaired right at that moment, but would eventually need to be repaired in the near future for a mere $1500. Over the next 2 years in which I owned this car I had nothing but issues. Oil leak (also another common problem with Acadias according to the GM service tech), engine not turning off occasionally even when I took the key out, when I would get gas, I would have to leave the car running because if I turned it off, after I finished pumping the gas it would be very difficult to start the car. Usually took about 4-5 tries. The last and final straw was this past week. I was driving home one afternoon and sure enough, water started pouring into the interior of the car from the headliner. It came in through the airbags, sunroof and top of the windshield. You could also hear the water sloshing around in the headliner as I drove. I can't afford to keep fixing the same issue that the dealership should take responsibility for in their faulty design on this car. Traded it in on a Hyundai yesterday and we have so much negative equity in the acadia that my car payment is ridiculously high. Not to mention I have 6 people in our family and so we all do not fit in the car together and will have to drive 2 vehicles whenever we go anywhere as a family. Because we were so upside down trading in the acadia, we couldn't afford to buy an SUV or a minivan. But, at least I know I have a good, reliable car that will not leak that I can feel is safe enough to drive my children in. If you want a vehicle that does more than just look pretty in the driveway then stay away from this one. We will NEVER buy another GM vehicle again. NEVER.

Had to give it up
By 2practical

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased it used as a family car
in 2011. Loved it. The look, it's features. It fit my family of six well. I have performed all routine maintenance. But after a little less than three years of ownership and over a dozen trips to the dealership for repairs not under warranty and thousands of dollars spent
and four major repairs in a matter of two months this year, could not justify keeping it and loosing another dime. It's a shame. It's like a good looking person with an ugly attitude. Who wants that?! I will never own a GMC vehicle ever again.

Onstar, DVD player, remote start, heated seats, memory seats, navigation system, and backup camera.

GMC! A body is no good without working parts!

Frustrated with My Acadia
By dfoster22

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I want to love my Acadia but have grown extremely frustrated with it.
The overall comfort in driving my Acadia has been great but I have run into several maintenance issues which just show a lack of quality in the vehicle.
These issues include:
water leaks (have caused issues with the front blower motor and various sensors), blown rear strut, power steering pump and gear, tailgate motor and supports, two bad batteries, master cylinder (breaks), blown headlamps, and rear window spray hose.
There have been three recalls:
heated windshield washer, passenger airbag sensor, and headlamps.
Many of these issues occurred within first two years of ownership. Has been a maintenance headache.

Driver legroom, headroom, ride comfort, amount of passenger seating, sun roof, heads up display, and interior design

Overall build quality and better engine response

GMC Acadia Junkmobile
By bubb007

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Struts replaced X2 , tranny X2, brakes and rotors replaced X2, rear seat adjustment is horrible, original tires garbage. GMC engineers trying to figure out why airbag/seatbelt lights stay on all the time...can't assure me that the airbags will work correctly. Worst vehicle ever owned...in fact, I've had $100 cars when I was a kid that were better quality and more dependable that this pile of scrap metal. Have 5 months left on my "Stupid Buy" and am certainly returning this vehicle (since GMC won't do anything to buy me out. They spent more money on transmission and struts that they would have to buy me out! Wouldn't buy another even if offered for the $100...like my cars of 30 years ago!

Looks good, has power (when the transmission doesn't slip), airbags/safety features impressive (if they work). Roomy.

Stand behind your product, GMC. Admit that this vehicle is junk and buy it back.