2008 GMC Acadia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:
Would not buy this car again
By kshannon on 02/21/14 13:30 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

There are obvious defects with the 2008 Acadia. The steering, transmission and airbag issues need to be corrected by GMC. They need to honor promises of delivering good cars, which they have not done here.

Terrible dependability
By fastpastor on 10/20/13 13:53 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

my family and i love the vehichle and the ride. however, the dependability is not existant. the vehicle currently has 87k miles and is the family event car. it is well maintained and we have owned it for 2 yrs and 20k miles. the following has broken while we have owned the vehicle: a/c compressor, brake caliper, cam cover seals, power steering pump, timing cover seals, breather valve, valve cover seals, a/c line, hood lift mech, front axle, speed sensor, all 4 brake rotors, front suspension, control arm, both taillights seals, headlight seals, power mirror control, power window control, door trim, etc. only owned vehicle this long due to warranty. we are selling. !

A GMC LEMON
By mrseppy on 08/29/13 13:22 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2008 GMC Acadia with 25,000 miles on it. Loved the quiet ride and the space...then the bottom fell out. Water pump at 42000 miles at $564 (later paid for by GMC...amazing). 47000 new master cylinder - $670 68000 new transmission - $3400 Now my serivce manager says the thing to watch for now is the heating and A/C. None of this was under warranty because it says it was a 2008 but came off the line in 2007 so no warranty. After reading all of the following post....When is GMC going to step up? Is there any leverage we have? No more GMC for me.

light housing melts
By unhappy_acadia on 07/29/13 11:34 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Until recently, I would say that I am the proud owner of a 2008 GMC Acadia. Until we went into have the daytime running light replaced. We have replaced several in the 5 years we have owned the car. What has made us very upset is that the last time we went into replace a burnt out bulb, we were informed that this would not be a $100 repair, but instead a $1000 repair. We were told that the plastic housing that reflects the light out is a $1000 item. The housing has literally melted around the light. We were also informed that the other side was doing the same thing. So in the end, it will cost us $2,000. This is a flaw, not normal wear and tear and should be covered by GMC, but no!

Love/Hate Relationship
By tsteinhilber on 07/21/13 17:41 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I spent months searching out a car that would accommodate our family, loved every aspect of the Acadia. I purchased mine used and I am the second owner of this vehicle. I have owned it for almost 3 years. My Acadia has been into the dealership 7 times since December 2011. As I read through page after page of the same complaints, I don't know if I should feel good about not being the only one or more infuriated because GMC is doing nothing to compensate their customers. The problems are repeated such as air bag, air conditioner, engine oil leak, master cylinder leak, transmission (just rebuilt this past week) and other issues related to technician errors.

2008 GMC Acadia SLT2
By kristintemples on 06/20/13 12:23 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I would love to give this vehicle an outstanding review but I can't. I love everything about this vehicle except that so many owners have had transmission problems prior to 100,000 miles just months after the warranty runs out. My vehicle is sitting in my driveway after 4 months of owning it and the transmission wave plate has gone out like so many others. GMC is not taking responsibility for their defective transmission's which is costing the consumer $4,000 out of pocket and in my opinion if people have extended warranty insurance they are ripping them off as well. They know it is a crappy design or they would not have redesigned it for the newer Acadia's.

Stay away from GMC
By emclaugh3 on 06/08/13 08:57 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2008 GMC Acadia SLT, an expensive vehicle. I leased it, but decided to purchase it because my family liked the exterior styling and interior space. I currently have 84,000 miles and the transmission is failing for the SECOND time. It was rebuilt under the warranty, but now, 22,000 miles later, it is failing again and will cost thousands to repair. I have had no luck with the dealer or GM in helping to fix this problem of bad transmission design, and a faulty repair. I will NEVER EVER buy another GMC !!!

Beware of GMC ACADIA
By emclaugh3 on 05/31/13 09:19 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2008 GMC Acadia because I loved the styling and space for my 3 kids. It was great for a couple of years, but then the trouble started. I paid $1,100 to fix a steering problem (not under the warranty), then needed a re-built transmission at 62,000 mi and now at 83,000 mi the transmission is gone again. All the dealer says is "sorry, the warranty expired 4 months ago". This on top of electrical problems with the seats and headlights. This has broken any spirit I had to support American cars. I feel taken advantage of by GMC, who I fell is both unfair and unethical. The newer Acadias are reviewed more favorably, `but let's see in two years - BEWARE!!!

2008 Transmission Broke!!
By sarah60 on 04/25/13 17:02 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Don't be deceived by its good looks! I loved the 2008 GMC Acadia when I saw it and test drove it. Had I known it would run so bad only after a few years we bought it, I would have never purchased the car. I have had several problems but recently the TRANSMISSION breaking has made me never, ever, ever, ever want to buy a GMC again!

Complete pile of JUNK
By boaterdan on 04/17/13 05:28 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I could not have possibly imagined what a complete piece of junk and nightmare this vehicle would turn out to be. Bought it certified, and under that warranty (before 55k miles) had the transmission rebuilt, leaking sunroof fixed (but it wasn't), water stained headliner replaced, engine control module replaced when vehicle wouldn't start, and battery replaced when it wouldn't hold charge. Warranty is now expired and I have about 70k miles. Currently have: Nav system quit working, only reads about 50% of DVDs, sunroof still leaks and water sometimes pours into interior, service airbag light on, powered liftgate pops when halfway up then closes making it unusable. One word - JUNK.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 GMC Acadia Suv in WA is:

$151 per month*