1997 Geo Tracker SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:
So much fun to drive, roomy and great gas mileage at 26 for the 4x4
By mickmarion on 04/24/12 08:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I owned this car second hand from Carmax and had it for 10 years, best little car ever. She was really roomy, loved taking the top off and yes she was noisy but who cares. Heater worked great when I needed it, never had too many issues. Gave her a bath every week and took care of every service that was needed. I would get another in a heartbeat !

Best Little Car On the Market
By vw1973 on 12/26/11 13:18 PM (PST)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought my Tracker for $1750; it had 73,800 miles on it, ran awesome, and was in good shape for a 14 year old car. One of the best moves I've ever made. In the winter it's great because it has 4x4 and is amazing in the snow. In the summer it's great because it's a convertible and it's surprisingly phenomenal off-road, even when completely stock. It's durable and can handle lots of work. For such a small car it can fit 1/3 cord of wood, and you won't wreck the strong interior. It's uncomfortable and 55mph on the highway is 3K rpm, but it gets 35 mpg, it's amazingly reliable, and it has the heart and soul of a big truck.

BRAKES SUCK!!!
By lukebecker on 04/25/11 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this for about 6K and Hated it. The 4x4 worked ok, but is sits low to the ground so when I tried to go over snow banks (WI) I would get hung up and which the 4 wheel couldn't pull me off of. I am 6 foot tall and talk about rough sitting in this thing. My leg was always pushing on the center counsel thing. No cruise. didn't hold its value for crap. And I (who has been driving sticks for his whole life) "Burnt the clutch out" before the car hit 100K. Only car that "I" have ever "broke."

A Surprising Dependable little SUV
By Gil on 07/20/10 20:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV LSi 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV does what it is suppose to do, get you there on time every time whether it be the big snow storm or ice storm. It is very dependable for a 1997. Yes it rides like a truck or Jeep. The vehicle sits high so very high wind days are a no-no at high speeds on I87. Gas mile is great for a 1.6 liter 5 speed manual shift. 24-MPG city and 33 MPG on the highway. I get stuck doing stuff for my daughter who lives about 90 North and the vehicle has ample room for stuff like bikes, pallets, computers, snow blowers lawn mowers mulch etc. I have replaced these items, battery, muffler, brakes tie rod and a brake line, tuneup fluids and bulbs(easy jobs). I turned off the driving light to save energy

great car
By dhopper on 08/24/09 19:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV LSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Had the car ten years, changed the oil and plugs every year, had 196,000 miles when I sold to co-worker in feb 2008, he is still driving it. It had no Major problems.

Great little "cute ute" (CUte Ute. Veh)
By cski on 08/18/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this candy apple red little beauty from my neighbor who seemed to enjoy filling it with trash. It had no dents or dings and after we jump- started it, it ran fantastic. KNowing he bought a new car since his wife was pregnant, I immediately approached him and struck a deal for $500.00 dollars. The front drivers door hing failed, it had a hole in the exhaust, a check engine light was on, (o2 sensor)AND the rear window was stolen along with the Alpine stereo Steve put in (bad idea on a convertible) So, I put $500.00 in it and fixed everything it needed to pass emissions and inspection. After that..it has run FANTASTIC. I love it!!!! 30 mpg, new tires, just needs radio!!!

Fun, Fun, Fun!
By russ on 11/01/08 23:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Bought this car because I need to rent a car for two weeks while my other was being repaired. It was only $1,400 and had been used as a tow vehicle behind a motorhome. Came with a soft and hard top. Gave my 15 year old his first driving lesson it it (has a 1.6L motor and 5 speed trans). When he gets his license he can buy it from me. I hyper mile better than 38 mpg out of this car around town, but freeways speeds can get scary. Overall it's a great little runabout. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

97 Geo in Florida.
By Richard Smythe on 02/23/08 10:11 AM (PST)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV LSi 4dr SUV

I originally bought my 97 Geo Tracker LSI 4dr Wagon from a local auto recycler a little over 1 year ago. I replaced the fuel pump, tires and battery and have driven 12,345 miles since. The car had 111,567 miles on it when I started driving it. I like most of the car's features except for the constant headlights feature (I actually consider it dangerous because only the headlamps come on without the running lamps. I have several times driven without all the lights on). I feel the car is underpowered. I would trade a little gas mileage for more get up and go! I usually get 30-35 MPG. I love the car otherwise. The side opening rear door is great. I have had no breakdowns.

Love my tracker
By Love the Tracker on 12/24/07 04:28 AM (PST)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

The Geo Tracker was my first new car and I still own it. I've only had to change the Battery and tires so far in 10 years of owning it. Great, reliable and fun SUV.

97 Tracker
By Brian on 01/19/07 00:14 AM (PST)

1997 Geo Tracker SUV LSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put 200,000 miles on this 5 spd 4WD Tracker and consider it to be trouble free and cheap to drive. The worst that I have gotten was 27 MPG and that was in 4WD on snow. I get between 30 and 35 MPG with every tank. Maint: replaced the front brakes 3 times, rear brakes 2 times; starter and alternator once; tires every 45,; just replaced the speedometer cluster because the speedometer quit working; some light bulbs have never been replaced. If a vehicle lasts this long in WV it's a good design. I'll be looking for a newer Tracker in another 50K or so.