Used 1997 Geo Tracker Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Geo Tracker - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

So much fun to drive, roomy and great gas mileage at 26 for the 4x4
By mickmarion

1997 Geo Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

I owned this car second hand from Carmax and had it for 10 years, best little car ever. She was really roomy, loved taking the top off and yes she was noisy but who cares. Heater worked great when I needed it, never had too many issues. Gave her a bath every week and took care of every service that was needed. I would get another in a heartbeat !

Taking the top off and gas mileage.

Best Little Car On the Market
By vw1973

1997 Geo Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought my Tracker for $1750; it had 73,800 miles on it, ran awesome, and was in good shape for a 14 year old car. One of the best moves I've ever made. In the winter it's great because it has 4x4 and is amazing in the snow. In the summer it's great because it's a convertible and it's surprisingly phenomenal off-road, even when completely stock. It's durable and can handle lots of work. For such a small car it can fit 1/3 cord of wood, and you won't wreck the strong interior. It's uncomfortable and 55mph on the highway is 3K rpm, but it gets 35 mpg, it's amazingly reliable, and it has the heart and soul of a big truck.

-Very durable design and materials -Reliable -Easy to fix -Parts are cheap -35 mpg -Phenomenal off-road and in snow -Turning radius of a lawnmower -No power anything = no expensive repairs -Very simple and logical inside and out

-Could use a taller 5th gear. The engine races over 60mph. -Uncomfortable, but it's not made for comfort. -Slow, but it's not made for speed -

BRAKES SUCK!!!
By lukebecker

1997 Geo Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this for about 6K and Hated it. The 4x4 worked ok, but is sits low to the ground so when I tried to go over snow banks (WI) I would get hung up and which the 4 wheel couldn't pull me off of. I am 6 foot tall and talk about rough sitting in this thing. My leg was always pushing on the center counsel thing. No cruise. didn't hold its value for crap. And I (who has been driving sticks for his whole life) "Burnt the clutch out" before the car hit 100K. Only car that "I" have ever "broke."

For a 4x, it did get OK mpg. and the 4x did work for most sit. Liked the 4 doors.

BRAKES::::: What happened with them? I mean, I be driving along and all of a sudden they come on! NO JOKE! I replaced everything to do with the Breaks except for the mettle gas lines and it still did it. On a few of these times, I had to lock in 4x and push it until ???? They came off again I guess... I Never Was Able To Figure Out what the prob was. If a brake expert know what I missed let me know. I replace Roters and pads daily (not quite), Booster, Calipers on all 4, Master two times and soft hoses. I think that was it. ONLY had prob with the front brakes btw.

A Surprising Dependable little SUV
By Gil

1997 Geo Tracker LSi 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV does what it is suppose to do, get you there on time every time whether it be the big snow storm or ice storm. It is very dependable for a 1997. Yes it rides like a truck or Jeep. The vehicle sits high so very high wind days are a no-no at high speeds on I87. Gas mile is great for a 1.6 liter 5 speed manual shift. 24-MPG city and 33 MPG on the highway. I get stuck doing stuff for my daughter who lives about 90 North and the vehicle has ample room for stuff like bikes, pallets, computers, snow blowers lawn mowers mulch etc. I have replaced these items, battery, muffler, brakes tie rod and a brake line, tuneup fluids and bulbs(easy jobs). I turned off the driving light to save energy

What I like best about this vehicle is that it is simple. Knobs are well positioned. Grips the road nicely. It has a low and high for four wheeling. Seats are comfortable but needs more space @ 62, the head room is nice. Lots of room in the rear with the seat down. AC stay cool with a fresh charge.

It is what it is; better quieter engine and tranny. More leg room internal switch for the 4x4 mode. Unibody. Put the tire underneath for better visibility. Oh yes and more power maybe a 2.0 liter. This is a Chevy with a Suzuki engine and tranny. They made this in the now Equinox and Terrain Plant

great car
By dhopper

1997 Geo Tracker LSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Had the car ten years, changed the oil and plugs every year, had 196,000 miles when I sold to co-worker in feb 2008, he is still driving it. It had no Major problems.