1996 Geo Tracker SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:
Fun car
By shanesmith0922 on 04/25/13 10:40 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV LSi 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this car at around 120,000 miles and immediately took a road trip from Salt Lake to Mesa, Arizona. It handled it like a champ. I have also taken it four wheeling several times and this car can climb! It has been a year with minor repairs. I had a tune up, belts replaced, and so on. (the previous owner did not seem to ever do this) I hope I can have this fun car for many more years.

Geo Tracker
By Dave on 08/10/09 10:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Personally I wanted to buy a truck with good gas mileage but 4wd to have sum fun on the trails on weekends. When I had bought this one I had driven one before, so it wasn't a surprise but this thing really goes any where

Too much fun
By Colkoch on 04/09/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this vehicle used with a hard top. I have had so much fun with this vehicle I sold it and then bought it back. I have put Jeeps to shame with the ability of this Tracker in 4WD. You can park it in a dumpster, it's so small and agile. Due to it's center of gravity I would not recommend this for new drivers, but experienced off road drivers will have a fun economical time with it. In a 117K miles I have had to replace the battery, other than that it's been maintenance free, and it has very few computer chips, which is an asset as far as I'm concerned. This is perfect for someone who wants to tow a vehicle behind an RV and doesn't need room for more than two.

things wrong
By forest on 05/29/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My brother owns a mechanic shop and when I put my tracker on the lift I heard crunching upon looking further into this noise I took off the lower molding and found major body rot. The power Windows are loose on the tracks the rear end sways real bad I think the rear sway bars are bad not sure, sometimes rain leaks in thru the tops of the doors the locking hubs don't work so no fwd the differential work but not the hubs I want to do work to this but I cant find any replacement parts do they still make body parts for my model or do you know of some fixes that I can do one last item sometimes the radio wont adjust and all the speakers are blown

Inexpensive car but has problems
By SW on 04/10/08 03:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV LSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this car since 1999 and bought it used at 38,000 miles. I now have 85,000 miles which was done mainly in a small (60,000 people) town. It gets around 20 mpg in town, and about 24 mpg on the highway at 70 to 75 mph. As a city car it does just fine, on the highway watch out. This car is light and is blown around in strong crosswinds. I have had a transmission problem since I bought it which has persisted even after being repaired three times. I have a EGR problem that was diagnosed to be a computer problem, but that did not go away when I bought a used computer module. Other than those two problems the car has been reliable although it is now burning oil on startup though.

Small but love it
By ronnieg1 on 03/31/08 17:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Well my Tracker I love it cause its an awesome little car and yeah it may not be a fast car but I love driving it as well as taking it off road and the tops kinda a big pain but other than that I have not had any problems with it but also its a wonderful car in the snow and it's not too big or too small of a car it's just right for me. I love the top as well as how it looks and the performance of these little cars are great and if someone were to ask me if I would suggest they buy a tracker I would say yes definitely

Luvin' it
By Bill on 06/20/07 14:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used with 133,000+ miles, automatic 4 cyl 4WD 4door, well preserved. I've done timing belt, trans flush, full lubrication, and restore during the oil change. With a new set of AT tires, and maybe a luggage rack, I'll expect 200,000 miles plus!

Great First Car!!
By DaytonasMom on 04/28/07 11:02 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Bought this car when I was 18. It was my first car and I absolutely loved it! Even though it didn't have air conditioning, the flip-up roof/convertible feature made it fun to drive. This is a very reliable SUV. The 4WD system is nearly flawless. I started driving to Boulder to see some friends and got caught in a blizzard. I started slipping so I pulled over and turned the 4WD system on - never slipped once after that!

The 96 Geo Tracker's worth more recycled
By dissapionted on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle for a short amount of time and put enough money in repairs and parts to buy it a second time. It breaks down quite frequently and would probably have better luck with public transportation. I recommend this vehicle to nobody. The car sees more time at the garage than on the road. I only drive it back and forth on paved roads 30 minutes round trip to work 5 times a week. This vehicle only has 88,000 miles and had almost half of all its parts replaced. This week alone it broke down three times. As soon as I can afford it I'm buying a much more reliable vehicle.

Not Flashy, but reliable
By JOHNinNJ on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Geo Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I have owned this car since new, and driven it almost every day. It's not a race car, but it starts every day, in any temperature. I have not been stuck in snow or ice, even with the 2WD. I also use it as a 'truck' and have hauled everything from furniture to loads of paving bricks without a problem. At 105K, it still has the original clutch and rear brakes, and I have had no major repairs - just normal maintenance. (PS - I got rear- ended by a Caddy and it only scratched the bumper cover.)