Used 1995 Geo Tracker Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Geo Tracker - Consumer Reviews

1995 Geo Tracker

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

Best Car Ever
By georgianna

1995 Geo Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this little guy new off the lot. I thought it was so cute that I fell in love with it. Now, 16 years later, I have to say that I am more than just impressed with it's looks. I have never had to do any repairs. All it has ever needed is gas, oil, brake pads and air filters. Oh, and tires - because I have run the wheels off of it. I replaced the soft top twice. For the past 10 years, I have considered putting on a hard top but always thought that the car was too old to put that much money into it. Then, considering I have never even replaced a fan belt, finally decided the car is not going to break anytime soon so decided to go ahead. I think I'll keep it forever!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage - runs on fumes. Seems to be eternal. Always starts right up - even after sitting for months. No mechanical issues and I have had it for 16 years.

Suggested Improvements

The 4-wheel drive has always been clumsy to use and the hubs are really hard to turn. It finally stopped working at all.

Purple Tracker in South Florida
By QUINNSTIGATOR

1995 Geo Tracker 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I now own the 1995 Geo Tracker that my dad bought new off the showroom floor. It's almost at 180k. Nothing beats it in the city. It zips through traffic. Even with a 2wd, it climbs better than my 4x4 truck. With the 235/65/R15 tires it rips corners to pieces, and wind sheer is eliminated. Any more power and I'd be drifting with the 5spd. It's the most reliable car/ truck I've ever owned. And who needs the highway when you can take the beach with the top down.

Favorite Features

Large cargo area with back seat up. Easy to work on. Seats four adults comfortably. No nonsense gauges. Non- invasive 8valve motor(no engine damage if timing belt breaks). Good gas mileage. Fits anywhere. Cup holders do their job well. Durable suspension. nothing breaks.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger motor. Bigger gas tank. Power windows. Cruise control. More highway friendly gearing.

Best vehicle for the money, ever
By Chris

1995 Geo Tracker 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

My friends always ask me if I still have The Tracker. You better believe I do! I bought this in 1994 with about 30 miles on it and have just recently passed 336,000. I am not good with vehicle maintenance and upkeep, so the fact that this is still running is a miracle. Only major work done is a new transmission (after about 250,000). I still have it, and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Favorite Features

Durability and versatility. Great around college or in the woods. I got my 2wd stuck 1 time, I got a couple friends to help me lift it out and we were on our way.

Suggested Improvements

If you change too much, it would take away from it. Maybe higher quality factory sound system as it is loud.

will never buy another one
By kjfogge

1995 Geo Tracker LSi 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

have owned about 4 years now...started having an ongoing problem 2 years/$800 dollars ago of hesitating/violent bucking while driving. It does not always happen, nor is there any one condition to make this happen. We have stumped even the Chevy garage on this one. The gas tank is quite small...only 11 gallons. And worse still is originally it got only 20 mpg, now since this problem started 2 years ago, it is down to 15 mpg. Really liked the look and feel of this vehicle when I bought it. But I will NEVER buy another one, NOR would I recommend it to anyone! Will be getting rid of this one SOON!

Favorite Features

1. Cute to look at. 2. Being tall, it was nice to actually sit, like in a chair...other cars you are sitting on the floor with your legs straight out and ending up with a backache.

Suggested Improvements

1.cheap/poor design of engine that mechanics can't diagnose, nor are able to fix. 2. way too small of gas tank, 11 gallons. 3. horrible gas mileage. have to refill tank every other day to work.

A Bucket of Fun
By gottatracker

1995 Geo Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought my Tracker 5 years ago and I would never sell it. It has 158,000 miles on it and the only thing that ever went wrong were the hubs, so I just had them replaced. I give it regular oil changes and it just goes and goes. I have taken it rock crawling and it loves the mud. Any chance I can get to go off road, I do. It is great in the snow as well. This is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned! I love my tracker, but I see rust appearing here and there. Living in the northeast is taking it's toll. I have replaced the top twice since I owned it. Each top had a different quality and I noticed this last one is lasting so much better. When this Tracker rusts away, I will be sad!

Favorite Features

4WD, 16 valve, soft top, short wheel base and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control, a smoother ride and a bigger gas tank.