Used 1992 Geo Storm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Geo Storm - Consumer Reviews

1992 Geo Storm

View reviews for a specific Storm model:

Still Going......
By EP

1992 Geo Storm 2dr Hatchback

I hate to admit it but I love this little "bubbleback" car. 2nd one I've owned in 15 years. This little thing can zip around with the best of them. Saw 125mph one time. Looks as good now as it did back in 92 and we all knew economy cars would make a come back eventually. Good mechanically. Timing belt bit the dust at 158,000. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE BELT AND WATER PUMP!! I can honestly tell you it is more of a pain than its worth. All that aside it's a great car.

Favorite Features

5 spd manual trans. Drive it right and people can't believe your passing their SUV and smiling when you stop at the pump - 34 mpg with a heavy foot!

Suggested Improvements

Anyone over 5'6" will lose your head getting in.

Dependable car for a budget!
By disturbedchic

1992 Geo Storm 2+2 2dr Hatchback

Got this car as a hand me down to get through college on and it ended up being the best thing I got. Ran it from 97,000 to 120,000+ with minimal issues before I sold it in favor of a new Cavalier which ended up the worst choice of my life. Was fun to drive with the stick and sipped gas. Space on the car bites but when you need something to get you from A to B that doesn't look like you pulled it outta a junk yard this fun little car with lots of character is a great pick. In a near accident I cracked a pipe on the exhaust so mine ended up noisy and fun like a cheap sports car!

Favorite Features

Pick up with stick, overall quality and longevity, comfertable to drive, your mah boy blue!!!

Suggested Improvements

Roomy back seat, 6th gear on manual, classier interior, convertable top

Super car
By ncctex

1992 Geo Storm 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car at an auction for 150.00 in May of 2003 with 147,000 on it. We now have 167,000 and still going. This is a great little car and very inexpensive to maintain and easy to work on. Total investment in this car after 20,000 is 200.00 in struts. Great mileage at 31 p/g with new plugs only!

Favorite Features

Very quick and responsive. Once seated it has a comfortable driving position to the wheel and shifter.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more head space in the rear and more noise dampening. Can't complain much for a cheap ride that goes 167,000.

If only they still made them!
By JoshStorm92

1992 Geo Storm 2+2 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Storm in May '03 with 60K on it. I wasn't looking for a Storm at all, I bought the Storm mainly because it was in such excellent condition, I'm glad I bought it. The only thing I have had to do to the car is wash it, wax it, put gas in it, and change the oil. The car has alot of road noise at high speed, nothing some more sound deadening wouldn't fix. Great on gas, handling is nimble. Makes driving from point A to B something to look foward to.

Favorite Features

5 spd manual tranny. extremly supportive and comfy seats. sports car handling. great on gas. fold down rear seats. the cockpit feels like im tucked in and it fits me like a glove. the car feels quick.

Suggested Improvements

should at least have optional power windows, locks, mirrors, and interminten wipers and something that looks a little better than the rubber used for the shift knob and boot. needs better sound deadening. the 1.6L SOHC could use a little more power, but again it's an economy car.

great car!
By pacificnw

1992 Geo Storm GSi 2dr Hatchback

We bought this car from the original owner 5 years ago with 50,000 miles on it. We have done regular oil changes, replaced front brake pads, and had the belt replaced. It now has 103,000 on it and runs like new. Very quick little car. Extremely reliable. Gets 35 mpg. What more can I say? The back seat is only useful for small children. Also, alot of road noise (forget about having a conversation with anyone in the rear seat!). Otherwise, it has been an excellent car!

Favorite Features

Reliability, Economy, Good A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Make overhead area higher in the back seat (the front seat overhead is fine but if an adult sits in the back seat you have to sit sideways and slouch down to keep your head from rubbing on the ceiling. Fine for kids though.) Also, better noise insulation.