1997 Geo Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Really a Toyota Corrola with GM Logo
By Gil on 07/31/10 16:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

My wife and I each own a 97 Prizm. I have owned mine for 5 years and she has owned it for 8 years. I have the LSi and she has the standard model. We both have the 1600 standard engine. Both cars extremely reliable. Cost of ownership very low. Both are cars are salvaged and cost under $3,000. Other than normal maintenance have had 1 fuel injector replaced, starter motor. I switched the passenger seat with the drivers seat to increase seat comfort. Negative - Road noise, a little bit louder than other small cars I have owned, but a small issue overall.

Positive+
By Bill Golden on 07/17/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I've ever owned by a long shot. It has almost 194,000 miles on it, and I bought it used in '98 with a little over 5,000. These are some hard earned NJ miles with generally bad road conditions and extremes in weather. I love its reliability! In fact I'm replacing the timing belt this week -- overdue, I know -- with intentions of taking it as far as I can. But a word of advice: if you have an automatic, get the differential oil checked as well as the transmission. I've learned very little about cars since I've had this Prizm, but that was one big expensive lesson.

Amazing Value
By Jay on 06/16/10 20:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I have a long commute, and needed a reliable, cheap car that was good on gas. I paid $1200 for the car in 2006 and I have put 68,000 miles on the car since I bought it. The car now has 172000 miles and is still running strong. I did no repairs for the first two years I owned the car and have never done anything other than tires, brakes and exhaust. The car has great ac, and is great in the bad weather in western ny. I have no complaints and the car owes me nothing.

Reliable Till the End
By Fernando on 06/05/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have to give this car a 10 on reliability because it is at 173,000 miles and i have not had to make many repairs. I have driven this car from NY to FL twice and NY to Chicago round- trip. It hits its max at 175,000, but what car that you have can you say the same. If you find it in low mileage, buy immediately because it will last a long time. It's too bad they discontinued the brand because I would have definitely bought another one.

Has there ever been a better car?????
By Jim on 08/12/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new late in the model year (12 years ago). I have spent a max of $1000 in this time period on minor repairs. It still gets 38 mpg+ with the 5-speed manual transmission. So given this is a 13- year old car, why aren't new cars much better? So far I can't think of any reason for getting a new car.

still going strong
By dercpi on 06/29/09 22:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Hands down, the best vehicle I have ever owned due to its reliability and cost savings. The styling remains fresh if not fresher today than some of the crap being built now. My first was a 1994 LSi lease. It, too, was flawless. I drove my '97 off the showroom floor with 3/10's of a mile on it. As of today, it has exactly 310,000 miles on it! The engine and transmission remain original as does the exhaust and most of the suspension. The fit and finish remain strong as does the interior. Not bad considering it has never been garaged. It still gets great gas mileage, burns very little oil and has no squeaks. Why this model/line was ever killed off beats me. Wake up GM, you blew it.

Great car
By RON on 01/29/09 11:04 AM (PST)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in July of 08, when gas hit about 3.50 a gal. Parked the truck 15 miles per gal. I live in Minnesota, so it gets cold, car sits outside for one week solid it was above 20 below without the wind chill, started always and not only that still got good gas mileage about 32 city. In the summer I was getting 35, but not freeway. On the freeway driving 55 to 60, got 42 eat your heart out Prius, and I didn't need to spend 20 grand or more, car is paid for

built to last
By geo prizm on 08/08/08 19:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought my first Prizm in 97 and put 200,000 miles on it. I then sold it too my sister in law and she still drives it today. At the time I sold it to her it was still on the original everything. Only replaced one cv joint and brake job usual tuneups but everything else is original to the car. She now has well over 250,000 on it and still drives it to school everyday. I bought another 97 at a great price with a 100,000 and am sure to get another 100,000. Can't go wrong with these cars \ 94-97 models

If you ever have the chance... go for it
By iloveprizms on 08/08/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my second geo prizm and both experiences have been wonderful. My first was a 92 and this one a 97, and I have had no major problems with either. In the 97 there have been a couple problems with the O2 sensor, but it is a mechanically sound car. Also after being around since 97, there has been some recently developing paint peeling. But this car has survived being driven hard, and will take care of you.

big time gas mileage
By mike on 07/24/08 05:19 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my mother. It's the 1.8 auto. My gas mileage is incredible. Hwy mileage is anywhere from 40-44 mpg and combined is about 38. Given I'm not a jack rabbit driver and I use synthetic oil in this car. Its the first time I ever got better gas mileage than what is advertised. I will never sell this car.