1995 Geo Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Not Bad
By D Kelly on 06/22/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from my dad with 33K miles on it. Had no trouble with it until 75K. Replaced starter, alternator within a year. At 93K, oil started to leak into one of the Cylinder chambers causing it not to fire. $400 repair. 6 months later, the distributor cap/rotor went and that was a $700 repair. Now the head gasket has gone as oil seaps out of the block. Not repairing that, as it has 124K and am looking to buy something else. Other than that, the car has been fine. The Prizm is generally reliable as it is a Corolla, but mine was the rare exception.

Best little car
By Gary L. Beltz on 05/27/05 14:23 PM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car against my better judgement when I was in dire need. It's now been almost two years and 18,000 miles later and I love this car. It has to be the most reliable, economical vehical I ever purchased. The best $500 I ever spent. I would seriously consider buying a new Geo ( if they were around) based on my experience with the Prizm.

Excellent boring sedan
By Rabbitguy on 04/18/05 21:37 PM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

Had my Prizm for 8 years. In that time, apart from normal maintenance, I had the alternator replaced once, and a pully broke once. Highly reliable, economic, and completly boring.

blown engine
By mike on 03/21/05 15:26 PM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought prizm with 100,000 miles on it as a work car. Previous owner had all maintenance documentation, oil changed every 3,000 miles, all service done by qualified dealer, etc. this car looked good and ran like a top. Wife was driving prizm down highway and heard "pop", pulled off road and opened hood to reveal oil pouring out from under car. Piece of engine went through oil pan destroying engine. Was no warning this was about to occur. Car ran perfect for the 10,000 miles I owned it until engine let go. Definitly not mainteance issue as car was babied.

None Finer
By Carguy on 02/21/05 20:36 PM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Purchased in '97 with 17K miles, drove it 4 years, then daughter #1 drove it 4 years, and now I'm buying it back from her with 220,000 miles on it. Repairs: one alternator and one starter (both recently). Problems: cassette died at 125K, chronic problem with low brake pedal. Have done regular maintenance myself. The red paint is faded, but the car is rust-free and still solid. Performance is quite good, although my '02 Neon is quieter and handles better. Prizms don't really wear out--people just get tired of driving the same car year after year. This one will get a new paint job and be passed on to daughter #3.

Not bad for a small car
By JW on 02/03/05 09:53 AM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

Even buying it used with 150K it has been a good car. The windows are a little tight to open or close now though but fixable. The only thing I'm not sure of is why the wheel alignment isn't very good. Could be a legacy item from previous owner though. Performance rating takes a hit because the overdrive doesn't always work now. To get the best mileage though I would suggest Spitfire plugs. I've used them in 3 cars now and each got 10% better mileage roughly.

95Prizm
By Emily Draper on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

95 Prizm, 5 speed. Purchased New, only repair has been the starter. No other problems at all. good gas milage and real comfortble and fun to drive. Last week was T-boned at an intersection, by large full size car, doing about 50 mph. was not hurt at all, of course due to its age and speed of impact, car is totaled. looking for another one, but they are hard to find in my area.

My 2nd Prizm
By 2ND Prizm on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with only 14k on it about a year ago, now it has 25k on it with no major problems. No rust, 1 tiny dent in the bumper, paint looks new like it did in 1995. I just had to replace the battery which wasn't the factory battery that the good one was taken, and a rim was bent but pot holes do that! I love the comfortable seats I travel 500 miles each way to school 2x a year so comfort is a must. The car normally gets 32-37 miles to the gallon! Had a 91 Prizm that started having problems around 70k hope it doesn't happen to this one!

Great car
By Markymark on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I've had my Geo for 4 years now. I bought it with 132,000 miles...and now it has 204,000!! Unbelievably, it has had NO major problems until just recently when I broke a tie rod in the back. It still has the original exhaust, alternator, and starter. I would recommend this car to anyone. It will definitely take you where you want to go.

geo is reliable
By twright on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This car has been so reliable, has had so few problems. It is hard to believe I've had it for nine years and 126 K miles. My husband drives a 1999 Prizm which now has more miles but has had absolutely no problems with his either. The only thing I've had to replace were the alternator once, then the standard stuff, like brakes, tires, battery. Nothing major.