1995 Geo Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
163,000 miles and still counting
By RowdyHowdy on 12/28/07 19:26 PM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

We bought it new in 1995. It has been used primarily for commuting to work. The only unscheduled repair was to replace the starter. The interior fabric has held up very well to years of use. The exterior has held up well with minimal rust. We've had the timing belt replaced twice and changed the 4 speed auto trans fluid and filter a couple of times. I've done the oil and filter changes at 3500 to 4000 miles and the 1.8 engine uses no oil between changes. This has been an incredible car and we just can't force ourselves to get rid of it even though we have more cars than drivers. It gets amazing gas mileage in our mostly rural driving @ 35 to 42 MPG!

VERY REALIABLE CAR
By steph on 07/28/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for less then 2,000 dollars and it has been well worth it. I really enjoy it. It's good in gas too. i drive at least 60 to 80 miles a day so I need a good gas car. This car has really been a good car for me and my family.

Not much to look at - but it's reliable
By chase on 07/13/06 21:32 PM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at about 90K miles, at almost 172K miles 6 or so years later. starting to burn a little oil, but it's about a quart every 3000 miles - not bad. Heres the great part - with A/C on - I get 34-35 mpg - with A/C off I get 38-40 mpg. Manual transmission. Make sure you change the timing belt & all bearings along with it every 80K or so!! I had one go at 140K, then we didn't replace a bearing and the 2nd went 6 months later. Otherwise, I've only done brakes, 1 starter, 1 alternator, 1 clutch. not bad.

Me & My Prizm II
By brooktroutchaser on 06/11/06 14:36 PM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I rated this car in '02 and this is a follow up. Now have 107,000 miles. Have replaced the alternator (twice) and starter, a pulley and the timing belt. Runs great, burns no oil, gets 36 mpg highway. Still pokey, still ultra reliable and solid. No rust, even in Michigan. I'm a little tired of it, but figure it is good for many more years. :-)

Best Car for the Money
By jbiltz on 04/28/06 15:10 PM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

My dad bought the car new in January of 1996. He gave it to me in December 2000. The only problem he had was a starer & the A/C needed to be replaced. It has 171k miles on it now & I have nothing but praise for this car. I think it will easily do another 100k miles. We have 2 kids & one on the way so we recently bought a minivan, as well we have a crewcab Silverado. We don't need 3 cars, but I don't want to part with the Prizm. I drive it daily to work. A couple years ago I made 3 trips to Canada & back from Dallas - never a problem.

It's been a gem!
By billyb34usa on 04/01/06 09:16 AM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

My Geo had 15,600 on it when I bought it. It had been a rental. It's an automatic, but I've gotten a steady 30- 31 mpg around town, upwards to 35 mpg on a long trip. I'm 71 and owned this car longer than any other. Starter and alternator have been only replacements. It's been in California all these years and garaged every night so the body and paint still look great. I love its looks.

Like a Lexus?!?
By rotaidalg on 03/15/06 19:49 PM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car from an individual in Colorado (I live in Montana). The car was new in Texas and the second owner bought it in 2002. It's the LSi w/leather interior 6 spkr sound system Cassette/CD - the works. Also it's the 5-spd tranny. 189,050 miles on it when I bought it - now at 192,070. Previous owner had ALL belts replaced, clutch, rear suspension, the left front wheel bearing - all between 150,000 and 179,000 miles. The car is a bit noisy at highway speeds - but I'm still running studded Snow tires w/aggressive tread - will be quieter w/normal All-season tires on it. Currently getting between 38 and 41 MPG! I love Toyotas and that's really what this is!

1995 Geo Prizm keeps going!
By John on 03/01/06 17:34 PM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in 1995 and ran it about 20,000 miles per year for the first 5 years or so. Car has been very good on gas and low maintenance. It is now used for smaller commutes and local driving, but keeps going. Very reliable, no major problems at this time. Now at 167,000 miles and going strong!

Fantastic Car!!!
By AHanson on 12/12/05 23:55 PM (PST)

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This car is great in every respect. Good power around town, decent passing power on the highway - runs out of steam around 90 or 95 mph, but it's only a 1.8 liter. Love the standard transmission, and it still averages 33 mpg. Interior is like new, as is the paint. 147,000 miles and it's only been in the shop twice (wheel bearing assembly and clutch slave cylinder). Upgraded tires (Yoko Avid T4) give more sporty handling with a really smooth, quiet ride. Much smoother than my Explorer. There is no better car out there for the money. Period. Do yourself and buy this re-badged Corolla. Great first or commuter car. Rock solid reliable w/good performance and great MPG.

great car
By Camilla Anderson on 07/09/05 15:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

This has been a very good dependable car. Not super comfortable on long trips.